Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Wello/Green...more boats than fish!!

Re: Wello/Green...more boats than fish!!

Not sure if i should be posting this or not, but i gotta say i agree with Midnight and Pistol on this one. The reason is because i live close to and normally launch at Wello Pt, and i have noticed a sudden increase in boat traffic around the reef up to the Huybers in the past 12 months.

Deadset, there are some whose reports only ever come from the one spot, and let's be honest, someone mentioned that saying you caught fish at "wello" is vague as it could be anywhere around there. Bulldust. There is maybe 100m of decent reef that consistently produces fish.

As has been previously mentioned, you guys are sh!tting in your own nest. Broaden your horizons a bit or learn to be a bit more discreet, otherwise you won't be able to pull a fish from there soon. Not coz, they won't be there, just coz it's hard to set up a drift through a maze of tinnies. Just my opinion. Also, Tinn, i hope that remark was not intended with the sarcastic malice it came across as. I don't know what you have to gain by being a smart@ss.

As far as creating more reef in close goes, ithink it is a great idea. Somewhere between Green/ St helena and the Hope Banks ( ithink that's right, the beacon a couple of km's east of Green????). Could only be a good thing. Surely the trawlers can avoid a little patch of rubble.

cheers, and here's hoping we can all still pull fish from our chosen areas in 5 years time, let alone 20.

Damo
    Last edited by Deiter; 12-06-2007 at 07:00 PM.
    Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. But ,flogging him into submission will result in him taking up crabbing.... and once he gets a taste of that sh*t, well, he may never return again.

I had to laugh when I was on my return journey back to Manly yesterday. I too noticed how many boats were out there and how many boats were still going out when I was heading back but one of the boats had a little Maltese terrier on board putting truth to the saying about "Every man and his dog" were out there.

Poodroo

I couldn't agree with Dieter more........I don't think that there is any doubt there are more boats around Wello / Green than there were a few years ago. Why??? I think there is a combination of reasons, increased population of SE QLD, vastly improved angling techniques AND websites like this one talking up certain areas....

I shudder to think what these shallow reefs are going to be like in 5-10 years with many people still in full hunter / gatherer mode who feel the need to "bag out" when the opportunity presents. To me this sort of short sited behaviour will guarantee a reduction of the catch (and enjoyment) of these areas in years to come.

Also for the guys who thinks it takes a great deal of skill to catch the squire in these locations (currently), guys it's not rocket science..........

Fish spots according to size of ur boat. Now iam sure that would take off. Hate to be the poor bloke who has to police it. Water police with tape measures. That will be novel.

last week i posted on an early morning trip to green and put up a photo of 2 workmates that were out the same morning, now these guys have a 17Ft centre console and were going out through seaway every week midweek and were catching nothing, 1000$ worth of sounder and all the gear and there was just no fish on gold coast reefs to catch yet once fish were plentifull on these grounds, now these same fellas fish the bay after i showed them the ropes and are doing well, but how long can we keep cranking in fish when it takes a snapper 15 years to get to 50cm i think, anyway we either need more habitat or smaller bag limits or they will close off large parts of the bay, im all for more habitat myself and maybe smaller bag limits if thats what we need.

Smaller bag limits, or lift the min size to 40cm

I can hear the howls already.......

Fishing is a sport, its the art of exploring and learning ones adversities, and if you've learnt one section of the bay, move on.
    But too many seem to treat this sport as a catch as many as you can each trip, and repeately hit the same area where they at least no they can reap the rewards and brag.
    IF you want to improve your skills you wont do it by not being game or in the exploration mind to move elsewhere.
    The bays a big place and there are a merried of places to explore, and with a little nouse and some home work, you may and will be able to increase these 40-50cm range mindsets people get into.
    Plus there's a diverse range of species out there.
    Yes boat size, weather and distances does have a undermining effect on some not to move further afield.
    But even the vast expanse of the bottom section of the bay still has a multitude of places to explore.
    I fished green/wello many years ago and i'd say its been well over 4 years since i've been back there.
    Just my 5 cents worth.
    regards

hey there webby. U r right brian. Its good to explore. Some people have boats that can only fish certain areas then move on to bigger boats and venture further as i have done, but for someone to tell me i should fish there and not here, u know me to well to know what i would say.
    As i think it was T1 said, just because people say that fish are being caught in certain areas, u must have the knowledge to catch those fish.
    Take for instance mud island. shitload of water around it.
    Also with the cost of fuel, who can afford to travel miles and miles to find new fishing grounds.
    By time fuel boat, buy bait, tackle, its not a cheap day, so nice to get few fish to offset costs.
    Maybe there should be a limit on boat sales. ha ha
    Anyway thats my 20cents worth. Happy fishing

As has been previously mentioned, you guys are sh!tting in your own nest. Broaden your horizons a bit or learn to be a bit more discreet, otherwise you won't be able to pull a fish from there soon. Not coz, they won't be there, just coz it's hard to set up a drift through a maze of tinnies.

That’s a bit rough, Wello and Green are far from secret spot x's, in fact secret spot xs in the southern bay are few and far between. Yes these places can be a maze of boats as can many others like mud and harries. From what I can see there are 5 or so reports from Ausfish member for those places over the weekend, so that might explain why 5 or so boats where out there but what explains the other 50? I highly doubt these boards are directly responsible for much of an increase in those areas or any areas like mud etc etc. Brisbane and SE Queensland are growing at a phenomenal rate and many people come up here to enjoy the lifestyle, which too many seems to also include fishing boating etc.

Cheers Chris

Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    Fishing is a sport, its the art of exploring and learning ones adversities, and if you've learnt one section of the bay, move on.
    But too many seem to treat this sport as a catch as many as you can each trip, and repeately hit the same area where they at least no they can reap the rewards and brag.
    IF you want to improve your skills you wont do it by not being game or in the exploration mind to move elsewhere.
    The bays a big place and there are a merried of places to explore, and with a little nouse and some home work, you may and will be able to increase these 40-50cm range mindsets people get into.
    Plus there's a diverse range of species out there.
    Yes boat size, weather and distances does have a undermining effect on some not to move further afield.
    But even the vast expanse of the bottom section of the bay still has a multitude of places to explore.
    I fished green/wello many years ago and i'd say its been well over 4 years since i've been back there.
    Just my 5 cents worth.
    regards
    I agree with what you are saying Webby. I can count the number of squire I have caught on 2 hands. For me its about getting some confidence up and getting a feel for catching squire and a bit of fresh fish.

I do not feel very confident to venture out into the bay at night much past Wello & Green. I would love to fish more of mud but every trip I have gone out there I have never caught a legal fish. Wello is the cloest ramp to our house so it is naturally a first choice for me when the weather is not flash.

I will look to move around more and find some spot of my own some day soon
    Most of the people I have fished with in recent times have fished wello so I have done the same. Will make it a point for the R2M to fish out of my comfort zone
    Peter :cool:

In reply to the guys arguing that information on this website is obtrusive or too helpful to other anglers.................lets just remember that this is just another reporting tool aka a fishing magazine, a tackle shop operator, a fishing video or dvd, a helpful hint from a mate or maybe even as grassroots as your dad teaching you how to fish.................

I have used this website for fishing new areas, i have also posted areas around Mud I fish and explored many areas around the bay, and let guys at my work know about areas i fish, lures i use and conditions i prefer.

And thats all part of my fishing experiene, i enjoy taking my nephews, mates, brothers out and watching them catch a snapper on a plastic as much as i do catching a snapper on a plastic. That advice i pass on to them may not always work, is not as exact as it could be, but it is helpful.......and that is something people have shown to me in the past.

my fifty cents

Cheers
    Michael
    Little BigFish, 4.5 Blue Fin Warrior

You Wello/Mud/Green guys may not have a choice soon when they rezone the Bay, its possible they may lock some of those areas up or at least restrict them - who knows yet

Quote Originally Posted by Seahorse View Post
    By time fuel boat, buy bait, tackle, its not a cheap day, so nice to get few fish to offset costs.
    Maybe there should be a limit on boat sales. ha ha
    Anyway thats my 20cents worth. Happy fishing
    Yeah by all means if you want a few to eat but just remember why you fish!!! and look at the millions of people who pay mega bucks to club a little white golf ball and they never get to eat it!! know what i mean?, i hope more fish with lighter top quallity gear and just enjoy the thrill of the catch, my favourite fish is sealord dory in crumbs, i tell you it would be hard to beat. yummmmmmm!!!

First off , no arguement that wello/Green are about as far from secret as you can get. And Great White, mate, my points were definately not directed at the likes of yourself who are still finding their feet and growing their confidence. Its all part of the learning experience.
    I do, however, agree with what Webby has said and find it funny that their are a few guys who seem to have been fishing Wello for years, catch good fish and then proceed to want to tell the world about it. That doesn't make sense to me. The bay doesn't stop at the Huybers. 50 - 60 cm squire are good fish, but there a lot better out there if you have the patience. 10 years ago it was possible to catch 5-6kg fish in the wello/green area on a regular basis if you knew what you were doing. Green still produces occasionally, but i think you would struggle to find this class at fish with any regularity off Wello now. I think this has a lot to do with boat traffic. Whether the guys sitting there are catching fish or not, they will be influencing the fish in aother ways, and the big boys move away at the first clatter of an anchor chain or dropped sinker on the tinnie floor. Don't ask me exactly why. Just my experiences.

Damo
    Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. But ,flogging him into submission will result in him taking up crabbing.... and once he gets a taste of that sh*t, well, he may never return again.

Can't see the sense in saying that just because you have a "BIG" boat that you can't fish these area's, hell my cars capable of driving to Melbourne but just because it's capable doesn't mean that I will drive it there, same with a boat, just 'because it is capable of going "outside" doesn't mean that I have to go there.

By the way never been to Mud, Green or Wello, happy to stick to the reefs around Redcliffe, when I have mastered fishing this area I will move to another (which could be a while given my current strike rate ), I enjoy a feed of fresh fish but only take what we can eat in one sitting (don't particually like frozen fillets). Doesn't mean that I don't go and fish other areas (such as Curtain, and Shallow Tempest) but enjoy motoring 5 mins from the ramp and know I am in the game.

More rubble areas in the bay, great idea, we need it with the ever increasing population in SEQ.

Do websites such as these make that great an impact on fishing pressures in these areas??? Everything contributes - magazines, websites, boat yards, word of mouth, etc but the biggest pressure comes from a greater population IMO

My thoughts.

Cheers,
    Fez