Thread: Board today-made sinkers

Talking Board today-made sinkers

Got a bit board with nothing else to do so i had a few black cans and made some sinkers. A couple of hours work and 32 kilo's of lead later. Aswell as 1/2 dozern cans.lo
    3/4/5/6/9/10 balls
    3,4,5 beans
    7/8 barrels
    1/4,1/2,3/4 and pound tear drops
    planning the next onslaught 6.5m Profish
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Re: Board today-made sinkers

Nice work Chris at least you did something contructive on your day off.

lol

francis

Nice, that should last you a while.

Where do you get your lead from?

Rob

scrap yards
    last 6 months or so
    lead scrap metal is going up i hear -you will proberly end up paying over a $1 a kilo soon
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

well done, must get around to makeing some myself sometime

Daz

I may have a go at making some, I hope my neighbours don't notice their lead flashing has disappeared :lol:

Ill be around tomorow to pick them up..just what i needed
    ..Greg...."Termites pay the bills"..... Trailcraft 475...75 Hp E-Tec

nice and clean chris no chunks hanging off them, mite need to make a few more of those tear drops for the banks . cheers Adrian

Adam i prefer to use 7 barrels as much as possible or even lighter if i can. They pull through the wire weed and reef better then a ball or tear drop. Seem to be able to fish 80m with them where my deckies will use a 10 ball. Better shape
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What a constructive way to knock back half a dozen black cans. As stated before they are nice and clean, how do you get them like that? I have tried to make tear drops and bll sinkers before with a lot turning out with ripples and chunks missing. I have heard the secret is to warm your moulds first?

It is surely cheaper than buying ready made sinkers.

Cheers Whyknot

Mate the key is get your lead red hot. When the lead is red hot it's like a rainbow colour on top of the melt. You can pre warm your moulds but i don't worry about that. I find that once you start pouring they come out fine.

Another thing dont put WET lead into a hot melt. IT CAN EXPLODE THE LEAD EVERYWHERE..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Can u explain what you mean Spiro, about the wet lead ,hot pour ,i'm going to have a go at it today.

Mate i mean when you are pouring your sinkers and dropping them in water while your making them. Don't put those bits you cut off while wet into the hot lead melt. I did a even stuppider thing one day buy putting a sinker that had'nt poured properly into the water bucket. Then when i was cutting all the bits{sprues] off i put it into the hot lead with out even thinking. This caused the hot lead melt to explode everywhere. It was on the pagola roof me and the dogs. Hot lead burns like hell to. The reason it did this was because it was a 12 barrel sinker and the ends melted down trapping a pocket of water that needed to vapourize. Well it did everywhere.
    Use your brains and you will be fine. Don't get to try not to inhale the lead fumes while melting and allways wash your hands before eatting. This is the easiest way for lead to enter your body
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ausfish Platinum Member whiteman's Avatar

When you think your lead is hot enough, wait a little while longer. I do teardrops and if the lead isn't hot enough I have trouble getting the loop to form. Warming the mould does help the first few pours. Using BBQ heat beads seems to work a lot better than a gas ring.