Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: a short film about a very large fish

Re: a short film about a very large fish

Quote Originally Posted by sik008 View Post
    i agree with Mick_molloy
    no sitting on the fence, get stuck in mate.

nostrovia

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin_Mike View Post
    Who has been smoking something other than Winny Blues???????????

Mike
    I'm a henson and bedges man myself ,never tried winny blues maybe one day.

stay lucky

Gary

Well I was impressed...not least by the size of the winter pike. Spent many a winter's day freezing my b##*s off trying to catch one of those. Very impressed with the variety of wildlife that played to the script - must have quite a menagerie at home Gary?

Quote Originally Posted by Ozwald View Post
    Well I was impressed...not least by the size of the winter pike. Spent many a winter's day freezing my b##*s off trying to catch one of those. Very impressed with the variety of wildlife that played to the script - must have quite a menagerie at home Gary?
    Hi there Ozwald howz it going, thanks for your feedback ,3 yrs or hard work and a very serious lack of cash to get it made, for a first short film that was a hell of a workout to say the least, pushing myself to the max without going nuts, had a few scares though, over the years I've had an array of animals and I just like hanging around with them,especialy my dogs Ive had a couple of German shepherds, in the past now ive got a collie, never had one before he is the boll***'s, I have been to Aus once ,working and enjoyed my stay in Sydney and checked out the beaches which were great, should have done some fishing though,maybe next time.
    As paul Newman said in Cool Hand Luke [Nothing can be a prity cool hand]
    stay lucky.
    Gary

WEIRD

bUT IF YOU THINK ABOUT IT --- STRANGER THINGS CAN HAPPEN.

ronnie

Im in the industry, creative director doing lots of Ads etc,

must admit thought it lacked focus particuarly soundtrack. Nice idea but flat for me, visuals and soundtrack quite unconnected which i know is a style but you havent pulled it off.

I know these things take a lot of time effort and thought, but it doesnt gell as a piece of work. It started out nicely but lost its way, liked the grade at the start but it fell away in continuity. For me it needs a good grade and more coherent soundtrack, also lacks a final impact point or is that your point ?

The technical aspects need to be addressed before your thematic points which for me need an er- edit, the cutting style is quite linear, no real sense of tension, consider cuts back to animal earlier, the shots of the angler are quite flat as well, theres no tension to sell it, also the reveal is too linear in the storyline, it jars.. With a re-edit and grade and more cohesive soundtrack you could have a piece people will look at.

Dont want to be harsh but to me its like a first cut, you need to be a bit more ruthless with your shot selection, currently its too linear, plant the suggestion earlier in a subtle way, you need more tension in the piece as do the edits.

Anyway thats my two cents, biggest issue is you fail to make your point, dont be afraid to re-edit or be too precious about a shot, quite a few shots there you could easily cut and still move the story forward.

Cheers
    Mike

your not wrong.WAY WAY too much ACID for that ########!

What Aigutso said......

A very insiteful, critical yet supportive almost philosophical critique mate. I think.

Mike

Interesting twist
    Bet you spent a lot of time laying in a hole with grass on the top to get a close up shot of a fox

They are normally pretty timid

PPS bullets dont explode that far away from a fire I know this because I have to suffer every version of CSI the minister is an addict. and as you know if its on TV its 100% right
    "light gear big fish big fun"

Thumbs down Re: a short film about a very large fish

Never in my life have I wished a film was oooo'h soooo much SHORTER.

Quote Originally Posted by Aigutso View Post
    Im in the industry, creative director doing lots of Ads etc,

must admit thought it lacked focus particuarly soundtrack. Nice idea but flat for me, visuals and soundtrack quite unconnected which i know is a style but you havent pulled it off.

I know these things take a lot of time effort and thought, but it doesnt gell as a piece of work. It started out nicely but lost its way, liked the grade at the start but it fell away in continuity. For me it needs a good grade and more coherent soundtrack, also lacks a final impact point or is that your point ?

The technical aspects need to be addressed before your thematic points which for me need an er- edit, the cutting style is quite linear, no real sense of tension, consider cuts back to animal earlier, the shots of the angler are quite flat as well, theres no tension to sell it, also the reveal is too linear in the storyline, it jars.. With a re-edit and grade and more cohesive soundtrack you could have a piece people will look at.

Dont want to be harsh but to me its like a first cut, you need to be a bit more ruthless with your shot selection, currently its too linear, plant the suggestion earlier in a subtle way, you need more tension in the piece as do the edits.

Anyway thats my two cents, biggest issue is you fail to make your point, dont be afraid to re-edit or be too precious about a shot, quite a few shots there you could easily cut and still move the story forward.

Cheers
    Mike
    Blimey, not enough room here, will respond with a bit of space. Gary

Hi there Mike
    howz it go, I freezing my kishkers off here in good old blighty, thanks very much for your comments, with all due respect and taking it all on board this film would end up to be yours and not mine at the end of the day, not that I have a problem with that, I shot this 10 yrs ago and as we all know technology has jettisoned to some amazing horizons I could re edit and grade ect but I like the rawness to it, I see you are a creative, not a frustrated director, only joking, basically I just went out and got on with it, and at that time got lucky enough to be short listed for a bafta for the effort,so to me being judged by filmmakers at the high end of the industry said something even in it's rawness,so the old saying comes to mind if it's not broke why fix it, thanks once again, how is the advertising trade down under? any chance of making the odd ad for you guys would love to shoot something with a hefty budget, and really go to town,

Cheers.all the best

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Far side View Post
    Interesting twist
    Bet you spent a lot of time laying in a hole with grass on the top to get a close up shot of a fox

They are normally pretty timid

PPS bullets dont explode that far away from a fire I know this because I have to suffer every version of CSI the minister is an addict. and as you know if its on TV its 100% right
    Hi there Far side,

This fox had a fixation with chocolate, so it wa a piece of cake,

Thanks
    Gary

Hi Gary,
    Its a subjective thing and your right, its your film mate, my comments where more to polishing it which would take away its rawness. Yep and the industry is pretty busy at the moment.
    All the best
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by gm33 View Post
    Hi there Far side,

This fox had a fixation with chocolate, so it wa a piece of cake,

Thanks
    Gary
    Not that I haven't dropped the hammer on my share of foxes, but I'm guessing you wouldn't. Chocolate is toxic to dogs, so I'm guessing it's not so good for foxes either.

Some nice shots btw! Your technical skills are definately up there.

It's a common misconception that a bullet thrown in a fire is lethal. Without the restriction of the chamber the pressure doesn't get high enough to puch the projectile at lethal speeds.
    High explosive shells are a different matter
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)