Thread: Buyer beware- braid

Talking Buyer beware- braid

Not sure how many of you blokes/women buy braid of ebay. I have bought a fair bit of it off there. Last week i bought some Pelagic muscle braid and found that the diameter was thicker compaird to normal name brands. When i say thicker i mean its like string instead of dental floss...lol. I will use it on a over head reel,but no good on a spin reel as what it was intended for.
    Like anything i suppose you pay for what you get.
    planning the next onslaught 6.5m Profish
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Re: Buyer beware- braid

true spiro, but post please mate after you usie it.................. would like to know how it reacts in action, breaking strain, when wet etc etc.
    Waiting on some myself off ebay, saratoga brand 50lb...... plan to pu it on an overhead so will let you know what i think when it arrives.

Mike

i was just about to give the muscle braid a go, i had just spood up with a full spoll of 20lb ,drove to my spot , and went to got my rod out of the car and the wind blue the car door shut on my rod, snaping it in two (i am not happy) so i am yet to try it out but as soon as i get a new rod i will let yous guys know how it go's
    figjam :wink:

damn tha musta hurt nuggstar

i payed about $14 for enough mono to circle the world atleast 7 times.....
    i should have guessed that at that price,its gotta be GREAT quality!
    after one cast you find things that resemble cotton wool buds all along the line and stuck in your runners......and the twists......my god the twists,you actually get dizzy lookin at them!
    not sure what to do with all this line now.any sugestions?
    might sell it on ebay.............jez

it dose have a flat profile and twists a bit on a spin real but not to much, it dose transmits the bumps and thumps verry well and seem to be tuff 4 now, we will c if it is still good in a month or two

marlin mike i can still fell it now, the horrid sound of graphite shattering, the worst part is the rod was only 2 weeks old. it still brings tears to my eyes

Buyer Beware, When Buying Unknown Brands And Not Being Able To Site And Feel The Dia & Quality.
    So Many Brands On The Market, My Advise, Buy What You Know Or Has Been Recommended.
    Sorry To Hear About The Dud Line From E-bay Spiro, But There Are Some Good Brands For Sale On E-bay And Cheap.
    We Can All Rule That Brand Out.........
    Barracat66

Quote Originally Posted by barracat66 View Post
    Buyer Beware, When Buying Unknown Brands And Not Being Able To Site And Feel The Dia & Quality.
    So Many Brands On The Market, My Advise, Buy What You Know Or Has Been Recommended.
    Sorry To Hear About The Dud Line From E-bay Spiro, But There Are Some Good Brands For Sale On E-bay And Cheap.
    We Can All Rule That Brand Out.........
    Barracat66

He was only saying that it was not as thin as some braid but still thin nonetheless.
    No need to write it off just yet. Time will tell.

My brother got some of this brand and will be giving it a crack at the Swains this month. Fingers crossed.

Dave.
    Avast ye matey!

Marlin mike ,I got some off that braid and put it on my Penn 330gti. Works a treat for bottom bouncing and seems to take some abrasion too. Sometimes being thicker does have its advantages, just ask the wife she thinks i'm thick and I put up with the abrasive attitude. lol

Talking Re: Buyer beware- braid

Reef Fisher ..lmfao
    Mike no prob's
    Nuggstar i feel your pain
    Barracat66- mate i have bought a few thousand metres of braid from ebay and tackle shops. I was just supprised at how thick it was when i opend it. Should of been half the thickness. awe well
    Jez maybe turn it into leader?
    The other thing is that the braid is black. Never tried black. Hopefully it makes a difference in the catch department[ for the better]lol
    Last edited by -spiro-; 09-06-2007 at 10:37 AM. Reason: missed a line
    planning the next onslaught 6.5m Profish
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have had the same experience. Bluwater Fishing - Blue steel, 30lb. Line size labelled as .25mm in the listing, on arrival box says .30mm, and my trusty digital calipers say .43mm. I have let them know that i am not happy, as i was supposed to get 500m of this stuff on the intended reel, but only about 350m fits. This is false advertising and they should not be allowed to continue decieving ppl. An amature wouldn't know the difference, but someone with a bit of experience can pick it straight away.

Still awaiting an outcome

As a sidenote, It would be interesting to test the actual breaking strain, as this stuff is the same size as my 80lb Platil.
    Last edited by Deiter; 09-06-2007 at 11:24 AM.
    Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. But ,flogging him into submission will result in him taking up crabbing.... and once he gets a taste of that sh*t, well, he may never return again.