Thread: Painting Rims

Painting Rims

I have a set of white sunraysia steel rims on my 80 series that are starting to look a bit sad. I would like to give them a re paint (same colour). Has anyone done this lately who could give me a few tips. What preparation needs to be done and what sort of paint will do the job. I will have to paint them with the tyres on as I can't see a practical way around this.

Thanks

Re: Painting Rims

If theres no rust a light wet and dry sand will be required to get the new paint to stick propperly. If there is rust id take it right back with a grinder+wire brush wheel. If it has any stickers that need taking off make sure that the silicone glue is removed absolutely completely then wipe the rims over with thinners before repainting. If you do have to take it right back because of rust use an under coat. A 1600 wet and dry between coats will give the best finish. Use Acryllic paint its cheaper and does the job fine. If you want a super glossy finish after the last coat goes on give them a good buff

Cheers Chris
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Thanks Chris, I'll give it a go. Only a few bubbles of rust on one rim that I'll sort out.

Geoff

sunraysia wheel, or equilent are dirt cheap.
    i bought a set for my old hilux for $130 bucks fitted.
    superior tyres at clontarf.

cheers

lippa