Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 153kg Southern Bluefin

153kg Southern Bluefin

Here's a nice fish. Southern Bluefin Tuna.

Haven't got any details other than it weighed 153kgs and was caught out of St. Helens Tasmania.

It says in the paper that it is an Australian record, caught mid May '07. Nice.

Cheers.

Re: 153kg Southern Bluefin

Whooo!!! Nice. Imaginethat bugger doing circles under the boat, double hernia for sure.
    Ian

I wonder if the caught it on the tyrnos in the picture, if so he did very very well.

Thats one big fish awesome capture, double hernia and triple bypass

Would be nice with a few photos then back in the drink.

Quote Originally Posted by whatscracken View Post
    Would be nice with a few photos then back in the drink.

no way.... sushi, tuna steaks with ginger and soy, etc yum yum yum, blue fin tuna is right up there

ian

Thats a big Tuna!

Lots of meals in that one

Cheers

Jim

Here is a medium sized one for back home. Give a big marlin a run for its money!!

440kg's by the way.

I only dream of cathing a fish like that. Give me a big Blue fin like that over a Marlin any day.

I'm quite aware of the eating quailty of the Southern Blue Fin but with a fish like that is better off back in the drink. Fish of that size aren't seen as often as they used to and what are you going to do with 100kgs of tuna? Keep 10kg for yourself and give the rest away.

yup thats one big pile of sushi alright
    Tight lines <*)(((((((((><

I'm quite aware of the eating quailty of the Southern Blue Fin but with a fish like that is better off back in the drink. Fish of that size aren't seen as often as they used to and what are you going to do with 100kgs of tuna? Keep 10kg for yourself and give the rest away.
    I know if I caught a fish like that and it was a first for me, It would be going into the esky (hehehe) quick smart and going home with me. Imagine showing that beasty off!

It would be even worse if you didn't have a camera on board when you caught it and you tried to explain it to everybody.................well, my arms don't stretch that far and they would never believe me.

Anyway, the main reason I'd keep it is to have a fish like that stuffed and mounted by a Taxidermist and then hung from some BIG ass wall in my house.

i can see both sides of the arguments, to keep or not to keep.....fact is it was a record, and i dont blame him for keeping it, its whe you get large numbers of these fish and keep them that it starts to get a bit much.
    the japanese have ovrefished their tuna stocks severly, this was a fish market which regulary got captures of 500kg+ fish those days are no more. many that work in the fish markets have seen them come and go. one big factor in this is its hard for them to get to that size they have to overcome alot.
    the survival rate of the young tunas are small, only recently have they been able to farm these fish for release from an egg. its quite surprising that those fish wer once smaller than a grain of rice! and its been extremely hard for fish farmers to actually get the information and tech do help breed up the stocks. i saw a doco on nat geo about them a while back and it was a real eye opener. good to see that they are farming them for release in japan now and is a real success

Quote Originally Posted by B_E_N View Post
    i can see both sides of the arguments, to keep or not to keep.....fact is it was a record, and i dont blame him for keeping it, its whe you get large numbers of these fish and keep them that it starts to get a bit much.
    the japanese have ovrefished their tuna stocks severly, this was a fish market which regulary got captures of 500kg+ fish those days are no more. many that work in the fish markets have seen them come and go. one big factor in this is its hard for them to get to that size they have to overcome alot.
    the survival rate of the young tunas are small, only recently have they been able to farm these fish for release from an egg. its quite surprising that those fish wer once smaller than a grain of rice! and its been extremely hard for fish farmers to actually get the information and tech do help breed up the stocks. i saw a doco on nat geo about them a while back and it was a real eye opener. good to see that they are farming them for release in japan now and is a real success
    That's right Ben. The size of these fish seem to be increasing slowly. In the latest edition of Fishing World there's a photo of a 125kg specimen.
    Apparently last years run of Southern Blue's was described as a freak of nature, the fact the Tuna were so big and numbers were up.
    Remember about 15-20 year ago the Lukins were going out and coming back empty handed sometimes, with fish way smaller than todays captures.
    The breeding program being used within the fish farming practices will only increase size and populations of wild fish as wild fish will be targeted less and less in future due to the fact the fish are being farmed. Lets hope anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Paddyinoz2006 View Post
    Here is a medium sized one for back home. Give a big marlin a run for its money!!

i was going to say that looks way bigger then the other and wat do u know 440kg of sold fish

How ya living?