Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Swaines is calling

The Swaines is calling

Ok 432 hours till i depart for the Swaines. Has anyone got some stories or tales of whoa that'll start to get me in the mood. Or more in the mood anyway.

I've never done more than a day charter so i'm looking forward to it.

Dave.
    Avast ye matey!

Re: The Swaines is calling

Has anyone got some stories or tales of whoa that'll start to get me in the mood.
    Okay. I fished the swaines for two weeks and all we caught were toads.
    Are you in the mood now?

Yep
    I agree NOOOO Fish at the Swain reefs.
    You can't catch 6kg lippers in 5 feet of gin clear water 135 NMs east of Gladstone
    and you do not get xxxos spangles breaking off 100lb hand line as they charge off across bommies 10metres from your dinghy.
    Last edited by rando; 05-06-2007 at 05:45 PM.

lmao at that

Whaleoil chortle chortle.

Rando i hope i get to witness such an event. Note to self two thumbs on spool.

Dave.
    Avast ye matey!

breaking off 100lb hand line as they charge off across bommies 10metres from your dinghy
    BIG, BIG, BAD, ANGRY, Toads.

Rando i hope i get to witness such an event. Note to self two thumbs on spool.
    I am envious Dogsbody. I hope you get amongst them.
    How long are you going to be out there?

Whaleoil 7 day charter mate and with a bit of luck i'll get a big bad angry toad.

Gee i hope you caught at least a decent feed.

Dave.
    Avast ye matey!

Gee i hope you caught at least a decent feed.
    I was pulling your chain. I have never been and have only seen it fished on video.
    7 days! you will need another week off to get your arms back in their sockets.

Dogsbody,
    2 hand lines,,, 1x45lb & 1x 75lb,,,, and a bike tube for finger stalls
    only fish with rods off the mothership,,, 90% of our fishing was in the dories up in the gutters that go up into the reefs.

Take a med/heavy spin stick and some poppers and slugs for a bit of fun when you get sick of catching big trout on bait.

Was at my nephews 21st Friday night and the blokes got busy planning a trip for next april ,,,, cant wait...
    Good luck ,leave a few for us
    BTW which boat???
    Last edited by rando; 05-06-2007 at 07:56 PM.

Rando We will be on M.V Norval.

I got three rods 80lb(penn345gti) 30lb(penn320ld) and a 30lb(penn8500ss) spin stick. Don't have a handline but will get one. Do you think taking anything smaller is asking for trouble?

I'm thinking poppers the size of pillies would be the go? What size slugs do you recomend?

Gee the mind works overtime thinking about it, i got to say to myself "just keep it simple"

Dave.
    Last edited by dogsbody; 05-06-2007 at 08:27 PM.
    Avast ye matey!

No fish at Swains save ya money !

Nah, I went last year and the year before and had a ball

Do a seach on Swains in the fishing report sections & you'll come across a few trips that various members have done over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Rat View Post
    No fish at Swains save ya money !

Nah, I went last year and the year before and had a ball

Do a seach on Swains in the fishing report sections & you'll come across a few trips that various members have done over the years.
    Been there done that and read all the others as well. Some good fish there.

Dave.
    Avast ye matey!

Dogsbody
    IMO thats heaps of gear and similiar to what I take
    Go lighter if you like, there are always more smaller fish than bigger ones no matter where you fish .
    The rough country is the reason for the heavy gear.
    BCF have those hand reels with a winder handle.
    Very handy when you fish in the dory and want to "Stick & Move", you can wind up all that loose line in the bottom of the boat, in a flash.
    I cant clearly remember what the "Norval" carries as far as dinghies go, I think its only a couple, so depending on how many of you are going, you may be fishing differently to what we normally do on our trips.

RE: pilly sized Poppers. Yep that will work, if you want to target GTs go big, that throw some water.
    Slugs 40-60gm should do,,, my brother nailed the best trout of the trip 2 years back on a 40 trolled on a handline
    We were motoring across to the shallows from the mother ship in about 60 feet of water and he got smashed by a monster that must have come off the bottom. I cant remember how big it was now, but it was a beauty

My mates book the "Boobybird" She carries 5 or 6 fishing dories and a rescue dory (with a 30 horse on her) , so I tend to fish up in the shallow gutters a lot .
    My favourite areas to fish are in the big open sandy bottom areas with scattered bommies .
    You never know whats lurking behind those small bommies . Sneak up quiet,, throw a handful of pellets,, and an unweighted bait ,,,, & HANG ON.
    Last edited by rando; 05-06-2007 at 09:45 PM.

found this bit of research on the reef. http://www.aims.gov.au/pages/researc...rep3/sr3sw.pdf
    Avast ye matey!

Hey dogsbody the swains is calling me too mate must be a disease we have let us know how you go mate im heading out on the M.V Norval as well 7th-14th July. From what i have heard from guys who have gone out with them in the past it is a top boat with a great crew who know how to catch plenty of fish. Make sure you take heaps of photo's.

Cheers

Francis