Thread: 1999 hornet trophy390

1999 hornet trophy390

Hi everyone, I'm thinking of buying a hornet trophy 3.90. It's a 1999 model with a 25 hp donk. A mate of mine said he thought these early hornets were a fairly wet boat and I was wondering if anyone else has heard this critcism. He also thought that the 25 hp engine would be a bit small for this boat given that they're fairly heavy. Has anyone got an opinion of this view?
    There will be no more than 3 adults in the boat but I don't want to find that it just doesn't have enough grunt ,after I buy it!!
    Guys I would really value your feedback on these 2 issues.

cheers
    Peter

Re: 1999 hornet trophy390

Mate put his in the boating section you will get heaps of help cheers
    Last edited by reelchippy; 04-06-2007 at 11:05 PM.

Yes it should be in boating section. I think that it is a bit underpowered should really have a 30 on it. Mate has a 3.95 allycraft with a 25 ( Max rated for hull although it says ok with 4 adults) and it will not plane with 3 adults and gear on board using a new 25hp yahama 4 stroke. He has has the motor wedged and gone down 2 sizes in props and still no plane so definatly try it out with a full load on board.
    Ray

That is because it is a yamaha. Only joking
    I had a 390 hornet trophy with a 25 hp suzuki four banger on it and it flew. There was only ever two ppl in it at anyone time but always had a well full of water a couple of batteries plus more. If in doubt codfishman just take it for a drive before you buy.
    As for the boat being a wet boat. Mine wasn't too bad but you are going to get some water in if the conditions are lumpy enough.These type of hulls always seem to take some water in as they are rather flat. The 445 hornet I had was the same too. This is why I bought a bluefin.

I have a 395 Ally Craft Shadow with a 25merc and it gets along at 50kph with 2 heavier people in it. I have also put in casting platforms that used 1 1/2 sheets of 19mm formply. Load it up and go for a long squirt before you fork over the cash if you can.
    Depending on the motor brand they may be able to remove the restrictor plate and make it a 30hp anyway provided the boat is allowed to run a 30hp. Quintrex may also be able to replate it any way.

I've got a 385 Quintrex Explorer Trophy with a 4 stroke 25hp Yamaha on the back. Would have loved to have gone the 30hp but it would have voided my insurance (being overpowered). We tried to get the boat rated to 30hp but no can do. Just make sure that you don't overpower the boat because you won't have any insurance cover. Goes okay with two adults on board (we're not big people though) three's fine but four's a struggle. Too many to fish comfortably anyway!!
    Cheers,
    Leeann
    Last edited by Leeann; 05-06-2007 at 02:56 PM.

Your bigger than Rob but blondie
    He's only a little fella
    JW

Quote Originally Posted by the_matrix View Post
    Your bigger than Rob but blondie
    He's only a little fella
    JW
    Good onya Jas

Looking forward to coming up next week. Hope the barras are biting as well then as what they are now!! (For Robbie's sake!!)

Yeh me too, talk during the week.
    Jas

What size bluefin did you purchase bassjunky

I have a 390 hornet, I think it is an 03 model. It has a 40hp yamaha 4 stroke which is its max rating. I think it goes well, not wet, but in saying that, this is my first boat so I dont have a lot to compare it too. A lot of people seem to comment that it is a big motor for the size of the boat.