Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going bigger tyres

Re: Going bigger tyres

Im pretty sure he runs double shocks and a return to centre steering damper (with a big spring) and there isnt much wondering hey. Im not sure about calbah?? do they do kits for gu's?? and are they legal . Ive heard from mates that if you run more than 1 jonny joint on your control arms you get a small vibration!! Definately great flex there. Better than my front . Time to get out the tape messure and draw some plans up i think. And i will do the transport mob a deal. Ill get rid of my casterplates and buy the prooper control arms if they let me run 1 jonny joint on each.... Shake on it...
    BD

Quote Originally Posted by BenDover View Post
    Yeah but who cares about legal. I was told that solong as they dont stick out of the gaurds they are legal even 35's on a cruiser by qld transport. The fact is because noone knows and keep changing the laws and contridicting themselves. Just do what ya want solong as you deem it to be safe. And take out special 4x4 insurance which isnt much more expensive than normal but you have to be over 25 to get it. And then you can do what you want solong as it has an engineers report.
    Quote Originally Posted by BenDover View Post
    Thanks dan, But at the time thats what qld transport told me themselves!! i already rolled my truck 4x4ing and had told the 4x4 insurance company about all the mods i had done before it happened and they said it was all fine and fixed it... So for me... It is worth having. They specialize in only 4x4 insurance and are the people in the know. About what mods you can and cant do. And im sure they would let me know if something has changed and what id need to do to stay insured. So i dont really care about the laws and rules they make on the road solong as im insured its all good. Not to mention i got pulled over once (ever) with a bunch of other cars for roadworthy checks and they are so dumb they missed everything i did and wondered why my bonet was almost eye level, because they just didnt know!!! I had bracket specially made for my shackle reversal and they just looked like part of the truck etc.. Plus big black body lift blocks. No sway bars but moster adjustable shocks, big custom made greasable shackles. (Which is good for me..) Dont get me wrong. I didnt have a mod plate but i did get my own engineers reports for everything i do and just keep it in the glove box. Most guys are pretty cool and can see its done right/correctly and its safe and will just ignore it. But there is that few power hungry ones that will give me greef. In which i will take it back to standard for them and then back home to refit my custom made gear. After all im the 1 driving it. If its dangerous at all i wouldnt do it. Thats why my new truck is just mild. With a 5" suspension lift and im putting 33's on it. But i do have plans for a 3 with panhard rod /5 link front Based along the lines of this one www.actionjackson.com/cruiser/mods/20060110.asp. But using the original chassi mounts. We'll see how i go. Have to make it look fairly standard for the transport guy . Hide stuff and good old black spray paint
    BD
    things like these post get people in trouble.
    I think you have forgot/ or don't know that if you modify (without approval) a vehicle and its involved in a fatal accident and the police find that the accident was caused by one of these illegal mods you may end up in with a charge called MAN SLAUGHTER.

No fish to be caught in jail mate.

Don't get me wrong there are plenty of mods that are safe that but not legal but there are plenty that aren't.

Call me a stick in the mud or just smart either way I'll sleep well tonight knowing that i do things by the law.

neil

Valid point neil. Couldnt agree more. But things like tyre size (reasonable) and other small mods arent any problem, And the goverment keeps changing these every second day. First its legal so you do it, then its not. and then it is again and noone can keep up with them. If you wherent competing in your truck! You wouldnt bother with any of these mods i have done, on a normal 4x4! And most of it is stronger and tougher than standard (which means safer aswell). Thats why its dissapointing with all the new 4x4's with tiny little rods and half tac welds etc... And then say to them it does anything you saw it do on the add. (THATS DANGEROUS) I have seen some dodgy stuff in my time!!!!! But like i said, im over it now and my new truck is just mild. But if someone is doing 5 link fronts with a mod plate im there!

ps. i dont think that anyone here would attemp to do any fabricating of parts themselves anyway. They would be going to a 4x4 store and having it fitted and they wouldnt do it either if it was dangerous or illegal... So its pretty safe out there.
    BD

I would like to know what laws have changed in regards to vehicles and mods in the last year. Most of these so called law changes are coming out of people talking to someone else. ( a mate of a mate said you cant do that)
    Some of these mods you are talking about are changing ADRS these certainly don't change.

Lets talk about tyre size and a few small mods.
    Your truck has 35" tyres around 3-4" taller than standard, 5inch suspension lift, and at guess at least 2" body lift.
    Its now at least (guessing, especially since you told me the bonnet is head height) 7-9" taller than what it should be.
    Lets take your "mild" 4X4 with these "small" mods and put in a head on with say a standard sedan like a commodore.
    Being so tall with your "small" mods, you have now driven straight over top of this car crushing the passengers and launching your car into another. (smells like an unsafe vehicle to me)
    If you kept your vehicle within the parameters of the law your bullbar would have hit the bonnet and the commodore would have bounced off.

just my opinion

neil

Correction!!! My old truck... and that was 4 years ago. My new truck has a 5" suspension lift (which really when measured is only 4" between bump stops) and im putting 33's on it. Which is well with in legal bumpstop heights. Im getting the idea that your 1 of these anti 4x4 people in city's. I like being higher i can see much further down the road and avoid an accident/ screeching brakes, before it reaches me and early braking warns the people behind me aswell. If your worry about anyone its these speeding young yahoo's. I think (even with a big 4x4) its the way you use your it more. If someones going to hit me then they are going to hit me not much i can do about it. Im sure and extra 100mm isnt going to make much difference and i dont really care if it does, if i come out better off because my vehicle is stronger then great!!! We cant all go worrying about what if, and rapping ourselves in cotton wool.
    ps. a 4x4 vs a car. The car is always the loser nomatter what.

My point is that, i only ever just ask my insurance guys about the laws these days as they will find out for me and i wont get the run around!!!! There has been numoreous reports even on here about getting the run around. First call to qld transport, then put me onto a truck mob and they put me onto an engineer and onto someone else. And then, in the end the guy i was talking to read the exact law to me and he dicifered it in a completely different way. So i gave up.
    Last edited by BenDover; 06-06-2007 at 06:45 AM.

Ben,
    Had a 4X4 all 90 percent of my driving life. Always had the 4x4 in my blood. Been places that are absolutely amazing.

My point being how would you like it if one of your love ones were hurt or worse by one of these "mild" 4x4s? regardless on hows fault it was.
    4X4 are kept at a particular height for a reason this being so they don't drive over the smaller cars, big semis aren't even as high as some of these 4X4s.
    And yes a 4X4 may come off best in most accidents but there is no need to make the other car worse because of "mild but illegal mods".

Once again if you want to go outside the law(even if your insurer says its ok) go for it. Of course if the unthinkable ever happens it will be on your neck.

Neil

Ben, Calbah are a southern company who have had heaps of stuff engineered down there, but I don't know about QLD.

Never heard of a three link that did anything but misbehave at highway speeds. Just the length of those trailing arms would have movement. Great flex but

noworries neil, each to their own i guess. I am fine with everything i have done with my ute. I have no problems with any mods or other 4x4's that have done the same (even if i had an accident with me being in a small car agianst 1) Although noone ever wants anything to happen to a loved 1"thats just stupid". i wouldnt hold anything against them. As 4x4's where made for offroading and tough work utes. And they are just wanting better performance out of them. But on that note why dont they bring in a law about bullbar heights then? Its very easy to lower you bar height and still have good ground clerance. I dont want to turn this into a debate. Just throwing some questions out there.
    And just to put things in a bit more perspective for you my old race ute the really high 1, was for 90% offroad use. I only drove it to events and up the beach/bush etc...
    BD

Quote Originally Posted by GBC View Post
    Ben, Calbah are a southern company who have had heaps of stuff engineered down there, but I don't know about QLD.

Never heard of a three link that did anything but misbehave at highway speeds. Just the length of those trailing arms would have movement. Great flex but

Thanks mate, yep i remember seeing them on the net years ago. And i even rang them yesterday and they dont do 5 link anymore. And everyone has recomended to me to use these as they have the same travel as 5 link and as just as good as standard at high speeds. www.bbmotorsports.com.au/prod2531.htm But i have to find out if they have mounts for the swaybar. As most stuff is made out of space age super lightweight and super strong materials these days that cant be welded or threads tapped. So if not have to run polly airs. Thanks for that but!!
    BD

Well back to what old mate was asking anyway... i have 33" x 12.5 on my 75 series cruiser with a 2h engine and they seem to go great. If you have a older cruiser with the 2h engine in it im guessing speed isnt to much of an issue everyone noes they aint the fastest vechile but they got the torque there. Another thing to think about my old man also has and older cruiser 84 Model hj47 i think with the 2h engine in it aswell and he runs 31" and my cruiser gets ups and boogies better then his does with the 33" on only thing different i have extractors.

Cheers dave