Thread: Catching snapper on soft plastics

Catching snapper on soft plastics

hi guys. Does any1 have any advice on wat soft plastics i should use to get snapper??

Re: Catching snapper on soft plastics

Everyone has a favorite and just every one you ask will give you a different answer. In reality I have found most grubs or jerkbaits 3 to 5 inches will catch you a snapper/squire, though some do work better then other on different days, times etc etc. Try some thing like a gulp 4" swimming mullet in pumpkin seed or a 5" jerk shad in Limetiger for starters.
    (I can only speak from experience in the bay not offshore)

Cheer Chris

hi sik008,

I think the bigger question is what techniques produce the goods for most of the time.

I have caught a few nice squire and 1 snapper on softs and all have been on different styles and colours of plastics.

The technique I have had most success with is fishing the fall, a slow lift up say 8 to 10 feet and let it drift back down striking on anything that feels odd.

I for one would like to read a few different techniques of working the softs to produce the goods. Also do you cast into the current, cross current or feed it down into the current?

Jack.
    Last edited by tunaticer; 03-06-2007 at 05:40 PM.

dont do it.....use bait mate

True story Sic 008.
    Had my first plastics snapper bash on Friday.
    First cast, 1.5 kg squire. Third cast, 2 kilo squire. No others during the session.
    On bait, the smallest snapper, 1kg, and the largest snapper 4.5kg.
    Score, bait 2, plastics, 2.
    I used 7" Gulps in Nuclear Chicken with 1/2 oz TT jigheads, I fish in 25 - 30 metres, I use 30lb fireline with a 40lb leader.
    Great fun the plastics, had a couple other bites but didn't hook up.
    I certainly intend to perservere with them, but will also use bait outfits as well.
    Main thing is to find the fish first, IMHO!
    Cheers and enjoy!

Best chance pf success with plastics is not to come out with me....
    ..Greg...."Termites pay the bills"..... Trailcraft 475...75 Hp E-Tec

I think the bigger question is what techniques produce the goods for most of the time.

I have caught a few nice squire and 1 snapper on softs and all have been on different styles and colours of plastics.

The technique I have had most success with is fishing the fall, a slow lift up say 8 to 10 feet and let it drift back down striking on anything that feels odd.

I for one would like to read a few different techniques of working the softs to produce the goods. Also do you cast into the current, cross current or feed it down into the current?

I just might add using the correctly weighted jig heads for the situation also goes a long way to helping catch fish. I usually start with a 1/8oz for most shallow work but go up to 1/4 if necessary.

Cheers Chris

i use 5/8- 1 1/2 oz jighead, but come winter im hopeing to go out wide armed with 7inches of pleasure and 3-8oz heads for aj's... offshore i like to give the rod a couple of good whips before settling it back on the bottom, most takes seem to be on the drop... although we do get a few as theyre settled on the bottom. we scored a mixed bag last week from pearlies to diamond trevs a 4kg sweetlip and a few squirrels and a 9kg mac tuna. Previously i've been using a Okuma VS200 bait caster on a dropshot 3-8kg rod, but that reel is crap and spends more time in the shop than on the water, so i upgraded to a calcutta 400 and a backbone elite loaded with 20lb platapus braid, i generally use 40lb leader, could probably downgrade to about 20lb though. The lures that have been most succesful are from the Gulp range, 5inch jerkshads in nuclear chicken being the favourite atm, also the silvery looking pogys are going good of late.... There are a few good looking colour in the Atomic range too, but i havent had much experience with them to make that call... hope this helps a bit,

In the shallower water, 1/8Oz is a good weight to start with. You want to get to the bottom, but not in record time! You can then adjust the weight depending on the current. I usually fish between 1/16Oz and 1/2Oz for shallowish water. Probably want about a 3/0 hook.

In terms of plastics, alot of them will catch them. Lime Tiger/Nuclear Chicken & Pumpkinseed seem to be the 2 colours used successfully in most areas. In terms of type of plastic, I usually use either Gulps or Salt Water Assassins. In Gulps I really like the Turtleback worm and Jerk Shads. 3" - 7" work well. The Salt Water Assassins I use are the standard 4" Jerk Shads.

MAKE SURE THE PLASTIC IS RIGGED PROPERLY! A spinning plastic won't catch a fish. Swim it next to the boat first...

Cast up current, and let it sink to the bottom. If they're in a feeding mood, I often find you get hit on the initial drop, and line starts peeling out.... If not, then once it hits bottom, wait for about seconds, then lift it up about 3 feet, and then let it sink again winding up the slack. Keep your eyes on the line and if you see a twitch or the line stops sinking, strike. Remember - S....L.....O.....W

Mix up your retrieves... Shake the rod tip, twitch a couple of times, slow wind, fast wind, aggressive lift, etc, etc. See what's working on the day, and hold on

Awesome reply Fishing Dan!

That would have to be one of the most helpful posts I have seen in awhile.

cheers
    Raymond

try live bait

Snappery squire.. 4 inch turtle back worm pumkinseed. Ducks nuts

Thanks for the replies fellas, Learning to pay attention to the subtlties reading this thread and hopefully the results will show.

Jack

fishing_dan that was a great post indeend , it helped alot , im going for a plastics session in the bay tommorow arv i hope i can put it into practice, cheers mate. also dan what sort of outfit are you useing ?? cheers abbot