Thread: Picture of yellow catch in my dam

Picture of yellow catch in my dam

This one of the yellows that i am starting to catch in my dam in the redlands

Attachment 7050
    Last edited by reelchippy; 01-06-2007 at 07:27 PM.

Re: Picture of yellow catch in my dam

Good stuff,
    How old are they?
    I have barra (bout 3 yrs old) and a few JP's in my dam,but I tried throwing a popper in recently only to be thwarted by the amount of waterlilies,Ended up having to swim out to recover the lure....and was a bit apprehensive as its starting to look a bit like a croc lagoon.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Good stuff,
    How old are they?
    I have barra (bout 3 yrs old) and a few JP's in my dam,but I tried throwing a popper in recently only to be thwarted by the amount of waterlilies,Ended up having to swim out to recover the lure....and was a bit apprehensive as its starting to look a bit like a croc lagoon.

Scott

Hi scott about 3years i haven't put any food in to the dam i have set up it own eco system i all so have bass of about 3years silvers of about 4years and a few anothers

PS Wish i could barra

Scott i guess you don't have a water problem

Sounds like a bit of variety in the dam.
    The kids and I sometimes fish in our creek and we have put quite a few native species into the dam to create a bit of variety and a food source for the barra .(Mudcod,JP's,catfish, rainbow fish).
    We even put in a bunch of redclaw carrying eggs originally,but with predators,the barra and a short distance to the creek they seem to have disappeared.
    Its fun though isnt it to rear your own fish!

As for water our main problem often is too much.
    When we first moved onto our block I spent about 12 months seeking permits from water resources,forestry and native title to install a 1 km long gravity feed mainline above our property .This gives us free access to about a quarter million litres a day for irrigation,domestic,keeping the dam topped up and whatever else I can think of.Pretty spoilt really,but it why we moved up here(aside from the warmer winters.
    How do you go with keeping enough water in the dam?

Scott
    Last edited by disorderly; 05-06-2007 at 07:14 PM.

Scott my dam has good run off went it rains
    I got about 80mm of rain this week and that raised the level by about 1m still 2m to be full. That was the best rain we have had since May 2006 also that was the last time the dam was full and the dam was at it lowest ever. cheers