Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Boat Shark Cat

New Boat Shark Cat

So now I've started asking questions about it on the forum, I should show everyone a few pics of the boat I picked up the other month. I'm excited to get it on the water....a few things to do to get it ready and should be ready for October hopefully. I hope the pics are working
    cat6.JPG

Re: New Boat Shark Cat

Hang on I gotta work out how these pics work........

Ok there should be some pics added on this one. I'm thinking of running the old Mercs for a little while and then re-power down the track....maybe 12months or so.....dunno yet
    Attached Images Attached Images

What's to deal with the massive snorkels for each motor. Never seen that before.

Damo's dodgy boat building factory.
    Damo's dodgy boat repairs.
    1993 bermuda by Haines 530f - completed resto.
    1976 cruisecraft rogue 14 - estuary weapon.
    1984 vickers easyrider 156 - future project.

Quote Originally Posted by Rip it up View Post
    What's to deal with the massive snorkels for each motor. Never seen that before.

Damo's dodgy boat building factory.
    Snorkels, they are the fuel lines to feed those bad boys.........
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

Used to be common on cats. They throw a lot of spray and its a way of getting the motors to breathe dryer air. I'd be a bit more concerned about the radar dome mounted at chest height for the passenger.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Yeah I thought maybe you had just stowed it. Might want to not run that there. Those old mercs with today's fuel prices....I'd need some counselling after first trip to the servo!

I think those old 23 footers had 250L per side? I know a 44 Gal drum (205L) fitted easy as a "top up". The snorkels were sort of common, but mostly they were not needed, modern motors have a much better air intake system too. Plenty of room on the deck for fishing, dancing or even a family BBQ!! You will take a bit of time to get used to the trim on those, but once you get the hang of it you will be fine

Just looking at the stern shot, it may still have the twin cable steering fitted?? if it has, best join the Gym now so you can steer the thing.

50+ sunblock & welding goggles for the passenger.

I could get seasick with the blue interior it's freaking me out looking at the picture.

It looks pretty tidy, a bit of a shiny up and good to go.

I must admit that blue is "interesting" never seen that colour before, there was plenty with yellow, a couple of orange, and a couple of lime green, but most were all white, deck and hull.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Just looking at the stern shot, it may still have the twin cable steering fitted?? if it has, best join the Gym now so you can steer the thing.
    Hi Noelm it has hydraulic steering so no bicep curls needed. The boat was built to survey and was built for the Vic Fisheries Department. You can see painted down the sides of the boat "Fisheries Patrol". It was based in Lakes Entrance.
    In regards to fuel it has 4x200l..............No wonder - they would have needed it with these 200 Mercs on the back. I don't intend to run it too hard just take it down to Marley every once in a while. Fish the Merries Reef and maybe up to the Eastern Suburbs here and there...cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    50+ sunblock & welding goggles for the passenger.

I could get seasick with the blue interior it's freaking me out looking at the picture.

It looks pretty tidy, a bit of a shiny up and good to go.
    Hey Fed the radar is off and out of the picture.....won't be needing it and it doesn't work anyway. The hull is sound and we've sanded the signwriting off the sides, wet sanded and polished her up. The hull is coming up a treat.Going to do the topside next week if I get time

OH, it has the twin tank setup, most had single tanks either side, but the twin setup was an option back then, glad about the steering, the twin cable was Ok when going slow, but anything over about 10knots was near impossible to turn....the Mercs will be OK at sensible speeds, but, do a bit of hooning and they will take some feeding, and believe me, 200HP a side will be plenty capable of some hooning... I reckon a pair of nice light 140 Suzukies would be nice to try out on one of those.

Hello FuManchu,
    Wow, congrats on that rig.
    Is the white box behind the driver a liferaft?
    Is it a drive-on job for the trailer, that winch doesn't look up to it otherwise.
    I wondered about getting micro-waved by the radar too.
    Keep us informed on how it goes.
    Would the four fuel tanks need to be used carefully to prevent trim issues?