Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this a jack ???

Is this a jack ???

On the weekends I am luckey enough to fish with a company that runs "head boats" offshore bottom bashing. Almost every trip we catch a few of these fish. We call them cubera snapper. I am wondering if this is the same as your "jacks"

Thanks

Re: Is this a jack ???

While i'm posting here are a few more pics of other fish I caught.

One is of a yellow tail snapper. The large grayish brown fish in the cooler is a gag grouper. The red fish in the cooler with the grouper are vermillion snapper or "beeliners." The last pic is a porgey.

Looks a little different to a jack.

Hi Pennman,

No, Cubera Snapper, whilst appearing similar to Mangrove Jacks and many other Lutjanids, are a separate species.

Cubera Snapper Lutjanus cyanopterus
    Mangrove Jack Lutjanus argentimaculatus

They inhabit entirely different parts of the world too, I believe.

HTH

Cheers
    RB
    searchin' for my lost shaker of salt

Thanks Red Bull, Do ya'll catch many other kind of jacks. The seem to relate to what we call snapper here.

well pennman, I assume when say "Jacks", you mean the family of fish known scientifically as "Lutjanids", then yes.....we in Australia catch a wide variety of fish from this family. We have access to the following commonly encountered Lutjanids:

Lutjanus argentimaculatus Mangrove Jack
    Lutjanus bohar Red Bass
    Lutjanus kasmira Bluestripe Seaperch
    Lutjanus russelli Moses Perch
    Lutjanus sebae Red Emperor
    Lutjanus malabaricus Large-mouth Nannygai
    Lutjanus erythropterus Small-mouth Nannygai
    Lutjanus johnii Golden Snapper or Fingermark Bream

But there are many more less common species out there.

Cheers
    RB

I have been reading and checking out pics of the fish you catch there. L. sebae " red emperor looks very similar to L. campechanus "american red snapper. The sizes look similar also.

yeah, it does look similar, thought the shape appears to a bit different. Also, Red Emperors have a scarlet arrow-like pattern over the flanks and face, which are particularly evident on juvenile specimens. American Red Snapper are more plainly scarlet in colour. Great looking fish though.

would have never guessed a red and jack were in the same family ...but i guess u learn sumthingh new every day

How ya living?

Have you guys ever caught maori sea perch another lutjanid same body shape as red emp but purply/blue with yellow fin's we often get them in 2-3mtrs but also get them in deep water fight very hard taste very good nice looking fish they also have same markings on head as red emp but much more defined and look like maori tattoos guess thats where the name comes from eh! Cheers Dan.........

RB , We also catch several types of "porgy" mainly a member of the family porgies sparidos, pagrus pagrus or red porgy. This fish looks very similar to what you fellows call a squire or snapper in larger sizes. Is this fish a member of the same family?
    Thx in advance.

Doug

it looks like a golden snapper (lutjanus johnii) to me. are you up north, i useto catch them all the time in darwin. and that porgey looks like a bream on steroids
    figjam :wink:

Thanks for the reply nuggstsr. Yes I am up north. I live on the south east coast of the U.S.

sorry boys, but i am pretty sure that this is a red bass, i am not sure, where abouts did u catch it? did u eat it?

please reply, it looks alot like a red bass, but a little silvery,

I reckon it's a red bass too .... can be poisoness and are protected here in QLD !!