Thread: urget help needed toyota surf 1990 ssr

urget help needed toyota surf 1990 ssr

hey all ive been looking at getting rid of my toyota surf 1990 ssr but last week it wouldnt start, had a look at the starter motor its turning over, battery is fine, fuel is pumping to it or should be, used the manual pump to see. it just clicks over and nothing else.
    seeing as ive deregistered it for sale i dont really wont to fork out the money to tow it to a mech, and want to keep the reapir bill down as much as possible as im selling it. it not leaking anything also as far as i can see.
    any advice on what may be the cause and a solution is greatly appreciated
    thanks ben

Re: urget help needed toyota surf 1990 ssr

Mate. Suggest posting this query on

toyotasurf.asn.au

Best thing you can do is sell the Surf!!!

I had one as well and will never be going back there again.

Good luck with it.

thanks for the info mate ill give it a go aswell

if your motor isn't winding over and your starter is going click click. Try the following:

1 See if you can wind the motor over by hand.
    2 swap the battery over with another one.
    3 check the battery terminals
    4 check the engines earth.

at a guess the battery may have collapsed. happens a fair bit in the colder months.

neil

yeh we thought so to so we swaped the battery over with my old mans spare from his landcruiser and nothing but ill try the other options thanks mate

let us know how she goes Ill try to think of other ideas.

no good its not fireing, my old man seems to think the starter motor is fine, i think it may have bad contacts, so still no good

I've got another question. Does the motor wind over or just click when you turn the key???

If it just clicks try jump starting the starter by bypassing the ignition key.
    Turn the ignition to on. run a jumper lead down to the nut on the starter and one little blade terminal.
    the starter should wind the motor over.

its all trial and error

neil
    Last edited by Kleyny; 29-05-2007 at 02:25 PM.

when i was doing it the motor wasnt winding over just clicking. but ill take your advice and give it some more trial and error. thanks mate

May be dirty contacts in starter solenoid. Try shorting out solenoid by placing screwdriver across from the terminal from battery to the terminal that goes inside starter. If motor turns over its the solenoid.
    Some you can dismantle and turn the contacts 180 degrees and problem fixed otherwise you are up for new solenoid. Dont let them talk you into an exchange starter they are heaps more expensive that a solenoid.
    Ray