Thread: v6 rodeo fuel usage

v6 rodeo fuel usage

Any members out there got 2003 upwards 3.5l holden rodeo 4x4 dual cab,started to sway abit to getting one instead of diesel 3l. I have heard some bad reports on their fuel usage any one got any advice on them.Their seems to be alot of petrol ones on the market and fair prices,seem to get more bang for your buck lt automatic less kms etc .Any feedback on rodeo diesel v petrol running/servcing costs etc appreciated thanks Yamp

Re: v6 rodeo fuel usage

NO DON'T DO IT TO YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!Inlaws got a single cab 2x4 its a pig on juice especially towin a boat, bout 350k's max if ya take it steady feed it and it get's worse.Stick with a diesel can't go wrong reliabilty and re sale there's a good reason why the petrol's are cheaper.I'd have to guess that the 4x4 twincab would'nt be better on fuel.

Drove several 4WD versions and in 2wd and not towing regularly worked on only 300 to 325 km per tank. Thirsty and not all that much power for a v6. Depending on distance to travel and what weight to be towed definitely diesel and if heavy load probably a different vehicle eg Patrol diesel but only 4.2 and with turbo.

Good luck with it

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

A mate has one he took it to a exhaust bloke get a better system on it to try and bring the economy down.

All they done was take the spark arresters out. he said it has made a huge differencein the eco and the power

Something to think about if you get one

neil

Hi HD

Are you talking about the catalytic converter by chance, I didn't think they had a spark arrestor as didn't they usually reside in tractors and the like operating in grass, crops etc where fire risk is a problem.

If its the cat con. how legal is this and what impact might it have on tune etc?

Cheers
    Chimo

Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    Hi HD

Are you talking about the catalytic converter by chance, I didn't think they had a spark arrestor as didn't they usually reside in tractors and the like operating in grass, crops etc where fire risk is a problem.

If its the cat con. how legal is this and what impact might it have on tune etc?

Cheers
    Chimo
    He definitely said spark arresters. The exhaust shop removed the pipe off the headers. They are apparently up inside the header area.

When he had a look underneath the cat was still there.
    the arresters were meant to be on the model before as well.

yes if it was the cat its not legal as it changes the emissions which are ADR governed. but it still wouldn't change the tune on the motor as the cat only changes one of the gases made by unleaded motors.

Allot of people remove the cat when they collapse to no difference in the tune.

I have also heard some motor bikes running these useless pieces of metal.

neil

Interesting!
    C

Dan, just like to clarify a couple of points you made,
    How big is the fuel tank and how much fuel used
    How big is the boat being towed.

Chimo, by saying different versions do you mean different brands of vehicles or different rodeo modles.

I have a 03 3lt t/d i/cooled rodeo duel cab.
    Fill up at Canungra tow boat weighing about 1.6 tonne and when at the Gold Nugget at Gympie fuel gauge shows E.
    Off the top of my head about 300ks. About 55lts fuel. About 5.5 k/p/l/
    It realy dosn't matter what you tow your boat with or what you are doing, maybe fully loaded 1 tonne ute the fuel usage isnot going to be very good.

Depends on what you like is what you drive and you have to use fuel to enjoy what we do.

Graeme

Graeme, the fuel tank capacity on the v6 2x4 single cab is 75ltrs my boat which we tow with the rodeo is a 4.8 alluminium with full fitout on trailer weighs 950kgs.We travelled from darwin-kathrine which is 330k's the road is mainly flat used 69ltrs sitting on 95-105 kph.I do the same trip same boat in my 80 series at the same speed for 55ltrs usually carring more weight because we fit more stuff in my car and it can be locked. I AM SUGGESTING to yamp to get the diesel version of the rodeo not to disreguard them totally ,after all he is only asking OUR opinions and experiance's Cheers Dan

G'day

I will say it again, GO DIESEL. I have a 100L tank in my '01 4x4 dual cab turbo diesel and best tank so far was 1136km. I still had a little to go at that.

Dave

Dan,
    I hope you didn't get me wrong as i wasn't meaning to have a go at you but i thought the v6 would be pretty good on fuel but geeeez the figures you give have blown me out of the water. 4.8 k/p/l/ is not real good and being a 4x2 as well.
    Your fuel figures in the 80 series are pretty good though 6k/p/l.
    I have to agree though, i think diesel is the go. I ment to say before aswell that around town depending on how i drive i can get 11k/p/l pluss. When my fuel gauge shows empty i have used aroung 55litres which leaves me about 10 litres in reserved.
    Graeme

thanks for all the advice fellas going to go diesel Yamp

Gawby

(Chimo, by saying different versions do you mean different brands of vehicles or different rodeo modles)

Three different V6 petrol 4wd Rodeos for work all of the previous model, '99 to 2005, and all about the same, used to fill up every 300 or so KM and that was not towing; changed over at approx 40,000k or 2 yrs .

I'll stick with a 4.2 patrol turbo diesel for my towing thanks. 10 or 11 l /100k not towing and up to 18 l /100k towing approx 2.5t.

Cheers
    Chimo

Chimo,
    Thanks for that, i haven't had much to do with the petrol models however i realy thought that they would perform better than that.
    I must say that there is something about those 4.2 Patrols. I have driven them and like them and you don't hear much adverse comments about them.
    Yamp i hope whatever diesel vehicle you buy does well for you.
    Graeme

Hi, I have a 2001 Jackaroo auto 3.5 petrol and have added exhaust extractors and when towing a 16ft caravan I usually get around 15L/100k at around 90-95k/hr.

When not towing it is up around 12l/100k at 110-120k/hr

The motor is the same size as the rodeo

Cheers bob