Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: building my new off road camper

Re: building my new off road camper

thanks trev, make sure you post up pics of it love to see it! cheers shano!

Shano,

I have a fairly new 4x7 that I am thinking of beefing up for offroad and/or not off road, but beefed up enough so I could use it offroad if I need to. I was interested to see that you had water tanks. Water was a pain the trip we just came back from on Fraser. I could not find in any of the pics a picture of where they sit and how you connected. I am assuming they are underneath and probably near the axle. Could you please take a picture.

Also, my axle is 40mm. Do you think that is solid enough, or should I buy a thicker one. Was there a reason you went for landrover hubs? Newish to offroading so that may be a dumb question, but I thought you would get hubs that matched your 4x4. Is landrover patern a standard most use in offroading? I was thinking of using falcon stubs so I can use the spare from the car.

Cheech

cheech the 40mm axle is rated at 1400kg this is what i have stuck in mine! it is 40mm square , my water tanks are mounted one in front of the axle and one at the rear of it. i will be starting to install them this weekend if i have time so i will get some pics. they are camel camper ones and are very very strong! has a center baffle in it and they have pics of a 4x4 driving on top if the tank ! very strong! i didnt use landrover hubs, i used landcruiser hubs. i had a 60 series at the time and same thinking as you would have a spare! but now i have a pajero! but the landcruiser hubs are great! i run the ford bearings in them they cop more load then holden ones!

took these pics on the weekend . put the tent up quickly to check it over!

here are some current shots of mine.

and a pic of the kitchen excuse the mess was still setting up!!!

Looks just like a bought one. .. nice work Shane.

Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

yeah im happy with it!

Very tidy camper Shane, well done mate

thanks mtpockets!

Nice Rig Mate Im Going To Make One Over The Next Month Or So Any Chance Of A Couple Of Dimentions.total Length End Of Draw Bar To The Back,and The With Of The Frame Also Where Did You Buy The Springs ,axle Thanks Snappaflicka.

springs and axles at the time came from active fab, i now sell trailer parts , but axles are better from active! (more redily available) just let me know what you need!

thanks shano i will start it in a week or two will make all the extras on it aswell,saw the price of the extras at the camping show bloody hell they dont miss you for them thanks again for you drawing cheers snappaflicka.

no probs! if ya have any troubles throw me a pm!

Shano, what was the final weight of your trailer (without the tent), and where did you get the sides from. I've just started building myself a 7x4 trailer and wondering about the length of the axle as I'd like to use cruiser hubs too. Did you just tell the guys your trailer specs and they worked the length from there?
    Your help would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Wags

Top marks to you as well. The trailer looks great.