Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Clever Ideas!

Re: Clever Ideas!

Nice chap who sold me my V17L also supplied a simple flushing kit, it was the exact copy of what you just showed except for the fact that he had installed a bilge pump where you attach the hose, I dump the lot into a plastic container and run the bilge pump thus using a lot less water (about 20L I think) and as an added bonus the water temp as it recirculates gets up to the point where I believe it does a better job of flushing.

Another tip though more usueful in summer than winter is my homemade downrigger, EA Falcon wiper motor $37 (is a worm drive) attach a pulley and a couple of switches and you have a downrigger for well under $100 bucks including the wire ( I use plastic coated 80lb leader though I lost one bomb when I goofed...). Pulls a decent lead and does not slip. Fit an electronic cutout and you've got yourself a unit to rival units costing many thousands of dollars. Piece of cake.
    I painted a mark every 10m to know depth but if I feel inspired might make an electronic depth counter or find a mechanical one.

One I learn't from my dad ... use a rope attached to the stern to keep the boat straight when retrieving it by yourself in windy conditions.
    cheers
    Castlemaine

Quote Originally Posted by pebble_monkey View Post
    This ones probably obvious but ... If you have a carpeted floor, stick the rough side of a strip of velcro on the bottom of eskies, tackle boxes and the like ..... to stop them from sliding around

Cheers
    Petra
    Bloody brilliant Petra, not obvious at all, I have been thinking up all sorts of contraptions to keep the esky and tacklebox sliding about in the boat while under tow, and here it is simple and cheap .

Would also work in the back of the wagon.

Cheers
    Dave

If you get spiked by a fish and feel the need for some heat - I have discovered an instant form of heat.

Reject Shop is currently selling instant Hot packs and instant Cold packs.

$2 per box of 2.

I tried the hot pack the other day. Just give the sealed bag a good squeeze to burst the inner packages and the pack gets HOT in only a few seconds (3 or 4)

I reckon a great idea to keep under the bunks or wherever you store your seldom used stuff.

They get hot enough to not be able to comfortably keep the pack on bare skin for long. That should knock the poison proteins around a bit.

Might even be able to use the cold pack for an emergency drink chiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea-Dog View Post
    If you get spiked by a fish and feel the need for some heat - I have discovered an instant form of heat.

$2 per box of 2.

I tried the hot pack the other day. Just give the sealed bag a good squeeze to burst the inner packages and the pack gets HOT in only a few seconds (3 or 4)

I reckon a great idea to keep under the bunks or wherever you store your seldom used stuff.

They get hot enough to not be able to comfortably keep the pack on bare skin for long. That should knock the poison proteins around a bit.

Top idea Sea-Dog. Thanks for sharing.

Poodroo

Quote Originally Posted by Sea-Dog View Post

$2 per box of 2.

Up North they should make this part of the survival pack along with oars, drinking water, V sheet and lifejackets. There's a lot more nasty stingers in SE qld and North from Brisbane. I wonder what would happen if you threw a pack at a croc??

Only trouble is we have a little drive to our nearest store, but will remember to call in next time I am down the goldy.

http://www.rejectshop.com.au/locations.asp?area=qldr

Scalem

Hey Scalem,

Aren't they one of our clients from work?? Maybe should see if we get supplier discount :p

Yeah right - like we would. LOL

Puff
    Cheers,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Scalem View Post
    <snip> I wonder what would happen if you threw a pack at a croc?? <snip>

Scalem
    I reckon you'd give him a bit of a belly-ache if he swallowed it.

Maybe if you covered yourself in these, you'd be too hot to eat - he'd have to wait until you cooled down.

Can crocs blow air onto their food to cool it down?

Nah, they don't have lips.

Maybe you are onto something.
    As I remember [from Malcom Douglas videos] They can run fast but only for relatively short distances, because they over heat. They then have to get into the water and cool off.
    So snap the vial, shake like hell, stick inside a handy dead chicken & throw to croc.
    Croc eats chook, over heats from inside, and goes has a little rest to cool off.

From now on always carry a dead chook & one of these packs and your safe from any lurking lizard.

I learnt this as a youngster

Tip 1 - When you bring a squid or cuttlefish onboard, don't hold it wondering if it will squirt ink......

Tip 2 - If you do have to ponder about it, don't have it aimed at your father.....

don't back the boat under the house with rods still in there holders advantage all become same length ouch oh so very ouch it still hurts two years on and the bloody mrs found out tarred for life

Thats exactly the kind of thing I'd do.
    I call it stupid tax.
    I was stupid now I pay.
    'EG: putting battery into hilux wrong way... Stupid tax - 2 fuseable links & 1 stereo.
    Bloke across the road is a plasterer, One afternoon he drove into his garage, with the wheelbarrow still on the roof racks.... Stupid tax.

looking through my boat tool box today and thought this was worth a mention. Few different brands on the market but this is what I have.
    Glass boat owners will find this handy.
    Its basically a premixed resin and fibreglass goop, consistency of toothpast I guess (not runny and wont dribble everywhere) It dries clear and fully cures within 5 minutes in direct sunlight.
    Commonly used for quick fix to cracks and dings in surfboards.
    I've used it in the past on my boards, and to temporarily re-attach guides to rods whilst out on the water. Cheap and handy to have onboard any boat.
    .......Ash

The cable for my sounder was siliconed in place
    down the transom . Bought a new sounder and
    instead of clipping transducer wire in place , just fed
    zip ties through the silicone . no Holes.

Hi Whaleoil,

I am very interested in your checker plate idea. I have a 6meter centre console quintrex and the ply flooring is almost gone. Can we answer some questions for me?

1. What weight did it add to the boat
    2. Is 3mm thick enough
    3. What was the cost and who was the supplier
    4. Did you lay anything such as matting over the top
    5. It is only early in the spring but how is the heat
    6. Was it hard to cut to size and lay

Cheers

Joe