Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Clever Ideas!

Re: Clever Ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    put bungs in b4 you head out.....I'm full of good ideas!!
    Put them in before you leave to go to the ramp.

Its more than 1 mistake that leads to disaster.
    I’ve never forgotten to check my bungs, so how come one was left out of my boat on Sunday.
    I’d checked the bungs before going out on Saturday came home parked the boat and intended to go out Sunday so apart from taking the old gear out did nothing to the boat.

Out on the water Sunday morning early I noticed the bilge filling with water when stopped. Turned pump on and headed for home.

Up on the trailer there is water pouring out of one bung hole that had the bung hanging out. I have 3 bungs, luckily it was a small one.

How did this happen?

A person unfamiliar with the boat on Saturday had loosened one of the bungs thinking they were doing the right thing.

Moral never assume anything. New rule: I am the only one that touches the bungs.

G'day

Thanks for the velcro tip on the esky, Bought some from k mart the other day, what I used cost about $1, Works a treat

When fishing, don't use a knife or your teeth to cut braid or mono. go and buy a pair of nail clippers, $3 or less and they do a precision job, Just play dumb when mum asks you where hers went...

Dave

The most important tip of all is check the split pin on your prop and never reuse one. I did a swap several months ago and reused the split pin as it had only been used once before. Yesterday i pulled up 25km from the ramp outside Bribie, Clicked it into gear again and nothing. Had a look over the back just in time to see the prop tumbling down in 100ft of water. Here I am with a spare prop and no spare nut!!

The biggest nut of course is me!!

Several hundred bucks later for a tow back by our fantastic volunteer rescue coastguard and I now have spare everything and all stowed where they will be of use if i ever need them again.

Gotta put my hands together for the Coastguard guys tho bloody fantastic service they provide for idiots like me.

Jack.

I haven't done it, i just thought it was a good idea.

I was just doing a bit of research on fibreglass materials. One link that I followed was to the site of the manufacturer of Q-Cells. Hollow glass spheres used as a filler with resin to form a bedding/fillet compound.

Another product the same company makes is the reflective glass beads that are used for line-marking roads.

Imagine covering the outside of your hull/cabin with these babies... Just a little bit of light shining in your direction and your boat would appear to light up like a christmas tree.

Even if you had a stripe of this stuff all the way around your hull, would make night fishing down the 'pin somewhat safer.

Paint the outside of your transom and it makes your boat heaps easier to see when on the trailer at night-time.

I don't know if it's feasible or not - but I may look into it in the future.

Seadog, I can help you out with this if you wish. My company manufactures reflective adhesive products for a range of industries namely trucks & buses for their safety markings. This reflective comes in yellow & white & various width strips, ideal for what your after. PM me if you would like to know more.

see pic below.

Matt
    c'mon, take the bait....

i think the glass beads your talking about require a very hot flame to melt them to the surface, just saw it one day. so it may cook ya boat, id opt for the stickers

Quote Originally Posted by B_E_N View Post
    i think the glass beads your talking about require a very hot flame to melt them to the surface, just saw it one day. so it may cook ya boat, id opt for the stickers
    Your right Ben, the 'heat method' you saw was probably the road marking or other floor type marking method where they heat the resin (binding) compound before applying the glass beads - either way no good for boats your right there. The stickers are the way to go for that as the glass beads are already embedded in the surface of the material. If applying to a white surface you would only need a 25mm strip of white material around the boat which would be hardly visible to the eye from a few metres away during the day but would light up clearly at night meaning anyone who ran into you was totally blind (vision that is).

Comes in RED, GREEN, BLUE, YELLOW, BROWN, GOLD, BLACK & can be cut to any shape. We have done boat rego numbers in the past so they double up as a safety measure at night. Great stuff.

Matt
    c'mon, take the bait....

G'day Matt,

Are the stickers as highly reflective as the road markings?

What about the adhesives used on the stickers - will they hold up in marine environment?

Cheers, Ross

P.S. I just had another look at Potters industries website (mob that manufactures Q-Cells) they make no mention of the use of heat in the highway installation of these reflective beads.

Quoted from website: " Premium Highway Safety Marking Spheres can be applied as drop-on spheres in all commercial applications�water-borne paint, epoxy, polyester, thermoplastic, PMMA, polyurethane, polyurea and VOC-compliant paints."

I have sent a fairly lengthy email to the manufacturer with questions on the suitability of glass beads for a marine application.

I will post any reply that I get in response.
    Last edited by Sea-Dog; 23-07-2007 at 09:30 PM.

I've cut a piece off a pool noodle, cut a slit in it lengthways and stuck it on the rail of the boat. Good for sticking lures, SP's in.

Did this after sitting on a jackall at Cooby dam one day !!!

great idea and you probly heard me laughing from here.

Quote Originally Posted by jrf1973 View Post
    I've cut a piece off a pool noodle, cut a slit in it lengthways and stuck it on the rail of the boat. Good for sticking lures, SP's in.

Did this after sitting on a jackall at Cooby dam one day !!!

yes a great idea

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    The only thing worse than realising that you have stuffed up big time is when your wife realizes it before you do.
    reminds me of my favourite telly ad.

Charter Boat - What Charter Boat!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sea-Dog View Post
    <snip>

P.S. I just had another look at Potters industries website (mob that manufactures Q-Cells) they make no mention of the use of heat in the highway installation of these reflective beads.

<snip>

I have sent a fairly lengthy email to the manufacturer with questions on the suitability of glass beads for a marine application.

I will post any reply that I get in response.
    Got a reply:
    (quote)
    Ross,
    An interesting concept. Potters Australia is investigating the concept with our scientific staff. I will get back to you soon.
    Bob XXXXXX (name deleted for privacy)
    Product Manager, Highway Safety Products
    Potters Asia Pacific
    (end quote)

In my original email I asked about the possible use of these reflective glass beads for use on outside of hull and superstructure of boats for High visibility at night.
    Maybe more info to follow