Thread: old patrol but a good one

old patrol but a good one

Hi All

I bought this patrol for towing the boat and to go camping and do a bit of off road driving nothing too radical it's a 86 swb hardtop 2.8l petrol 5 speed in very good condition . I was wondering if anyone has owned one before and what their thoughts are about them any advice on fuel economy would be a help and how they handle ,being a novice at this game any help would be great
    Thanks Rob
    live to fish work to live

Re: old patrol but a good one

this may be better picture

Good cars mate and well done on finding a good condition one but people do not buy them for fuel economy. Do yourself a favour and don't try to work out how many klms per tank you are getting or you may be reduced to tears. Most 4wd's are not designed to get great mileage out of a tank of fuel. Have fun in it and use it for what it is designed for and it will be worth every bit of bad economy. You could look at a gas conversion later down the track maybe? Occassionally we Ausfishers who own 4wd's get together and do some mild offroad and camping so keep an eye out for them. Nice way to get some experience in and meet up with some new friends.

Regards,

Poodroo

Hi poodroo

thanks for the advice was thinking the same thing about the fuel but thought i would ask anyway . i couldnt beleive it when i spotted it what condition it is in . i towed my 455 coast runner down to manly on sunday for a trip out felt like it wasnt even there incredible torque its got . its just what we were looking for .
    we are looking forward for trip to stradie to give it run and go camping for a few days

G'day again robo, you are going to never look back now that you have a 4x4. I traded a VN Calais 5ltr V8 that was worked and producing 350hp to the rear wheels and in spotless showroom condition in on the Pajero that I drive now. Reason was I was sick of how often I cleaned and polished it and how addicted I was to that car. Kids were growing up and I wanted to show them the things I couldn't show them whilst owning a car like that. Have been to Fraser Island and camping in the Pajero and seen things the kids are never going to forget. Priceless. I miss the power sometimes but I don't regret the decision I made to get a 4x4.

Regards,

Poodroo

Quote Originally Posted by robo02 View Post
    Hi All

I bought this patrol for towing the boat and to go camping and do a bit of off road driving nothing too radical it's a 86 swb hardtop 2.8l petrol 5 speed in very good condition . I was wondering if anyone has owned one before and what their thoughts are about them any advice on fuel economy would be a help and how they handle ,being a novice at this game any help would be great
    Thanks Rob
    Hey Rob, looks liek a top vehicle. Any rust in the rear door.... notorious spot in the older patrols. I used to drive an 85 swb and it went well. Fuel, well yes, back then it was 55 cents per litre (not that long ago).

Would you mind telling me how much you got it for as i am chasing same (pm if you don't mind?)

cheers
    Roydsy
    Not enough time in the day, to many spots to fish!

Hey Rob nice score did you pick that up in a yard or private sale .Mal

From memory 8km/L just cruising to 5km/L towing around 900kg. Awesome sand vehicles, don't be afraid to rev them, those engines are happy for it, nice fast gearbox for a workhorse also.

I bought one years ago at auction just for the sand ended up traveling everywhere in it, range is not very good.
    Best car I have ever driven on the sand almost unboggable if in low range and a free foot on the accelerator there was not a stockton sand dune it couldn't beat.
    Will run rings around any GQ and GU on the beach in the soft.

cheers fnq

Hi All

Thanks for kind words to answer Roydsy and cruiser93's questions I work for a dealership on the southside and she was traded in ,sitting out the front of my workshop i had a look at her and found her has tjm xgs shocks and steering dampener fitted bigger leaf springs front and rear no chassis rust the only rust found so far? 2 bubles in left and right sills and a small spot left top of windscreen none in the tailgate or other pannels ,clean interior no tears in seats or trims ,no oil leaks ,good high even compression no surface rust on any components under the bonnet or on engine , near new tyres i thought i cant pass this up so i picked it up for $4000 including on roads and rego 287000 klm . vehicles come in all the time . i can keep an eye out if someone is interested in something pm me with details and i'll try and help you out if i can . Again thanks to all the replies i feel ive done the right thing it increase our camping and fishing time and explore more places that we were limited in going with our avalon

Cheer's Rob