Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Big Jack

Re: Big Jack

If some gutless prick comes at me with a gaff at the ramp I will put it so far up his arse that they will be removing it through his mouth....or I'll go down trying and that's a promise
    Get one thing straight prick,Sean asked for an opinion and I gave mine,if that's going to cause that sand you've got caught in your spadge to play up to bad,get over it.

Hi Happy,
    Relax mate.With a membership base of 19000 you are bound to get some outspoken treehuggers who feel superior if they belittle others for catching a few fish for a feed.
    I see nothing wrong with education and trying to change the mindset of rec fishers and the powers that be to introduce realistic laws to release the larger breeders,but its not always going to happen and I certainly dont see that condemning a potential new member and his friends and associates for this is at all going to further the ideals that those detractors aim for.
    Much better to befriend and use the gentle art of persuasion and also education .
    I dont know about you but I quickly lose respect for those that tell me not to do something although its rightfully lawfull.
    BTW thats an absolute ripper of a fish!and I would say there are plenty of others here that feel the same.

cheeers Scott

Well as the person who posted this I apologise to Happy for the flack he has copped. My wife took the pics and I thought is was certainly something of interest and worth sharing with all as it was an exceptional fish.

I never expected the reaction of some people here, some of it has certainly been over the top.

Happy: Plenty of great points you gave there champ, but that still don't change the way some of us (me included) still feel. BETTER OFF ALIVE, NOT DEAD!!!!!!!
    Yep, I said it again and you can see my pic on my Avatar plain and clear buddy. Do with it what you will.
    No, I'm not part of the "JAK POLICE" but as has been stated before this is an open forum and some fisho's are passionate about different species. For me, it's jacks. Anyone can say what they want, when they want and if they want.
    The good thing about this post is it promotes discussion and to some degree education.
    Now I got one for you: As well as all the positive replies, accept the negatives and deal with it. Oh, and loosen the ____ up! Tight lines.

Richie

im not part of the jack police either.
    had a bute trip to hinchenbrook last week .we kept and ate 3 jack about 2kg each one night on the houseboat .they tasted great great baked whole ,cracked pepper,lemon beautiful
    we did release plenty though
    Last edited by sambos; 28-05-2007 at 04:42 PM.

Come on Heath,

where's that pic of your big one hiding......

the jack that is

fantastic bruiser in anyone's books!

cuzza

Quote Originally Posted by sambos View Post
    im not part of the jack police either.
    had a bute trip to hinchenbrook last week .we kept and ate 3 jack about 2kg each one night on the houseboat .they tasted great great baked whole ,cracked pepper,lemon beautiful
    we did release plenty though
    jacks are in plague numbers in north queensland, nothing wrong with keeping a few up there, and the law says u can keep them down here to, thats what the argument is.......ffs southern queensland doesnt have the numbers of jacks that up north has.

well said banshee.
    dont want to hear the sad stories about some battler rah rah rah, im a 1st year apprentice and i let every jack go. you didnt take any notice of my previous post regarding the stocks this breeder would produce you just rubbished on about feeding single mums/battlers etc. well if thats the case go out with some fresh mullet and get a feed of bream. the year is 2007 not the 50's anymore. these big jacks need protection

Thanks stumpthumpa for post a picture of such an awsome fish. This debate will always rear it's ugly head. Hope it doesn't stop others posting pics of their 'fish of a life time'. I like to see the big ones go back(no matter what species) but I also like to chew on a jack now and then. It's a question of balance. As long as it's with in the legal size/bag limits C&R is personal choice.
    Great Fish!!
    Cheers Kim.
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says...
    'Oh Shit.....she's awake'

Man, some of you blokes have got to get out more!
    Does anger management mean anything?
    Get over it

Quote Originally Posted by mamu View Post
    Man, some of you blokes have got to get out more!
    Does anger management mean anything?
    Get over it
    What ever mamu, what ever that means? if your not going to write something to do with the topic dont write anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalkandcheese View Post
    of course this fish is a breeder. big jacks breed offshore, the spawn gets washed up and down the coast, going into creeks.
    jacks this size taste like a thong, hopefully they get a maximum size on them one day........

i'm a bit late on this one and the fun is nearly over,,,, most of you already know that i'm more c&r than kill,,,, but that doesnt mean that i wouldn't have taken this brute home either,,,,, depends on a number of things,,, more around if i felt like cooking it and eating it,,,

a question that is always asked is where these buggers go in the cooler months,,, where they breed etc etc,,,, much the same as you can only catch muddies in a mnth with an r in it,,,, total crap

if this works as an attachment have a look,,, these things are more predominant than you all think,,,, just log onto suntag or recfish and do a search on em,,,,,,

choppa

sorry the attachent is to big to download,,, and i don't know how to shrink an email attachment,,,, its the may 2007 no 131 suntag release,,, that shows a recapture of a jack that was caught at bells crk caloundra and travelled 485km's over 6 years when it was recaught,,,

in woolgoolga reef coffs harbour

thats south isn't it?????????????????
    Last edited by choppa; 30-05-2007 at 07:36 PM.
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

Quote Originally Posted by choppa View Post

sorry the attachent is to big to download,,, and i don't know how to shrink an email attachment,,,, its the may 2007 no 131 suntag release,,, that shows a recapture of a jack that was caught at bells crk caloundra and travelled 485km's over 6 years when it was recaught,,,

in woolgoolga reef coffs harbour

thats south isn't it?????????????????
    if your trying to be smart by adding "thats south isn't it?????????????????" then think again, i wrote the spawn gets washed UP and DOWN the coast, meaning a breeding jack wide of fraser could send its wriggly bits all the way down to coffs if the currents provided leeway.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalkandcheese View Post
    if your trying to be smart by adding "thats south isn't it?????????????????" then think again, i wrote the spawn gets washed UP and DOWN the coast, meaning a breeding jack wide of fraser could send its wriggly bits all the way down to coffs if the currents provided leeway.
    on the contary chalky,,,, no intention on being smart cause if i was then you would certainly know about it,,,

i posted the last bit purely because i cant shrink the email attachment,,,, and more to the point due to the common belief that jacks migrate north in the cooler months

it had no mention of ""spawn"",, this is a fish that was caught,,,,tagged,,,, and then recaptured,,, SOUTH of its original place of capture

i think all in all,,, i'm tiring of members being shot down in flames over posting pics that doesn't agree with the majority,,, and yes,, there's been hundreds of posts that fit this bill,,,

i can even name members that joined,,, posted a pic,,,, were severely criticised over their catch,,, and we have never heard of them since,,

as a prior reply stated,,, take it up with the relevant department if there's a problem,,, (not meaning you solely,, but all )

sorry if you took the original reply as a response to yours,,,,it wasn't

choppa
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

come of it chalky lighten up .obviously jack are your target species .fair enough your doing your bit to protect them but have you ever hooked one in the gills or some other fatal area .