Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Big Jack

Re: Big Jack

great jack, that's solid

very impressive looking fish

Quote Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
    Nice one, Makes me wanna go and catch some big breeder flatties.
    hehe....nice one Matthias.

I hear they're tastier the bigger they get

Would that even be a breeder???? I thought that once they go offshore to the reef that they've done all their breeding for their lifetime. Surely they don't breed off shore then the young swim back into the esturies?

Just what i thought can anyone confirm???

Cheers Chris

Not sure if it is a breeder at that size or not. Anyway I did not catch it, just posted the pic. I believe the fish is in the local paper today - Northern Star.

It was an offshore fish, I am not sure where it came from, but big jacks can be seen when diving the deeper reefs of Brunswick.

Good to see how big they can grow, I wonder if impoundmnet Jacks in place like Awoonga will get to this size?

I'm also not positive about their breeding habits, but my thought was that they do breed out on the reefs? I have always known that at a certain age they leave the creeks and rivers and head off shore, for some reason never to return.

There is an article in this June's B'n'B about a similarly large jack caught off the Goldie.

Nice fish.

Ive seen a few of them sitting in the shadows under the wrecks at tangalooma.

There has been a few in the news over the years taken from the reefs off the tweed at nearly that size , bet he new he had it on!

it was caught in byron by my lbg buddys housemate.
    Caught on a live yakka. Its starting to do the rounds now.
    It was 15kg uncleaned but still beats the existing record by a few kilo's gilled and gutted.
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
    Nice one, Makes me wanna go and catch some big breeder flatties.

sounds like your jealous you couldnt catch it .
    once in a lifetime fish good on him

Great fish, but pity about all the negative comments that seem to come whenever a largish fish is caught and kept. I could understand comments like that if it was a big breeder flathead, but c'mon guys-give him a break.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Would that even be a breeder???? I thought that once they go offshore to the reef that they've done all their breeding for their lifetime. Surely they don't breed off shore then the young swim back into the esturies?

Just what i thought can anyone confirm???

Cheers Chris
    drifting in currents as spawn and fingerlings they travel along way how many beer cans and thongs do you see washed up from out to sea

Stumpthumpa, that is massive. Although I've have seen 13kg fish taken by spear, this is still an impressive fish, especially to be taken on line.

SD

I reckon They would breed out on the reefs and turn around and smash their New borns!!!!! I know I know they don't give birth.

I Reckon the photo is doctored!!

Ok I'm just kidding about that too, geez guys, lighten up!!!

Just wanted to know what it was like to be one of those knockers, you know, 'You kept 1 Fishh!!!!' You will die a slow and painfull death!!!

Here's a question for you all then- If you were fishing and caught that huge MOFO of a fish but didn't have your camera, would you keep it for proof?
    Do you then think the same people who knock him for keeping it would say...yeah right, I would only beleive it if you had proof!!

Quote Originally Posted by sambos View Post
    sounds like your jealous you couldnt catch it .
    once in a lifetime fish good on him
    No i dont think he is jealous but more pissed that people keep big breeders like that it is a great fish and i would love to catch one at that size, and yes they do breed offshore as well as river mouths and some of the baby jacks come back in to the river, but some also grow up on the reefs to, hopefully soon they would of brought in the new size limits for jacks, so it will be great for the fish I heard there bringing in a maxium size to so big girls like this will be protected anyway it is a great fish, best i have seen .