Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need Help Cooking Mudcrabs

Re: Need Help Cooking Mudcrabs

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    OH and this may raise the temperature on Muddie eaters, but I reckon they are down the list of Crab eating qualities, Sandies/Blue swimmers first, then Spanners, then last Muddies, but to stop any wars I like them all, but in that order
    I agree here to a point. I much prefer the Spanner crab meat to Muddies I can take or leave sand crabs/three spots but the fact of the matter is muddies are way easier to catch than spanners, where I think you have to go deep sea to get them. Much easier to get down into the local creek and throw a few pots in for a good return of mud crabs. Mind you the nice thing about spanners are that you can buy jennys legally and they are full of eggs and taste great. I have eaten jenny mud crabs in the USA that came in from Vietnam and they were very tasty as they were full of eggs.

On the subject of watery crabs vs full crabs, the best full crabs will have their next shell packed into the carapace ready to go, when you peel the carapace back and see this you know you have a winner.

don't think so - soft shell, they go back.

Pouring black bean souce on steamed crabs is always nice. Just get really good sauce.

Some of my other favs are lightly frying the crabs and either use the ready mades black peper sauce or singapore chilli crab sauce from the asian grocery stores

Hi fellow fisherpersons, Have you ever heard of empty crabs being released.

Check the shell under the widest part and if it is soft and spongy release it. It will be empty when and if you cook it.

I think this is a general rule adopted by most experienced crabbers.

Have Fun Haji-Baba

Best crab by far is a coral crab very hard to get they look like sandies but have stripes. My uncle gave me some a few yrs ago that he caught while trawling.

I have never seen any since but they are so sweet....

They live in amongst coral reef's which explain the stripes

id kill for some now

I,m not 100% but dosn,t a soft shell mean the crab has just dropped its shell.
    or is it just empty.?