Arrow A Heads up for diesel owners

If you read this looks like the only diesel you should be buying is from BP

http://carsguide.news.com.au/story/0...-21822,00.html

cheers

Garry
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Re: A Heads up for diesel owners

Currently diesel sold in Australia can contain up to 50 parts per million of sulphur compared to the less than 15ppm that European countries are bound by.
    Although it has to be said that companies in Australia, such as BP, are already selling diesel with a maximum of 10 parts per million of sulphur, two years before any Australian legislation requiring them to do so comes into effect.
    Seems like a plug for BP who are the other companies

Yes it could be Damo, but when you think about it they arn't going to name the companies who have the cr@p stuff are they.

cheers

Garry
    Garry

Isn't the Sulphur the thing that looks after the rubber components in the injector pump?

Wasn't it the BP diesel that caused the death of heaps of injector pumps a few years ago when it first brought the different fuel out?

I have been avoiding BP diesel ever since and putting in fuel additives every fill to have a bit of extra insurance just in case the no name outlets take a load of BP.

Am I wrong?

Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Hi CHimo,

Really who knows what you are getting at the bowser these days???

Garry
    Garry

Yeah I think its all a plug.

Mind you.. weve been missing out on models for some time. Its not new. Most the time they will blame fuel.What BMW wont tell you is how mcuh of a sales drop they have had. We arnt a major part of their market. They will tell us anything.

Mind you in the same part I cant see why it takes so long for fuel companies to change things. Surely it only helps us in the long run.
    Why is all the good weather around on weekdays?

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard_King View Post
    Yes it could be Damo, but when you think about it they arn't going to name the companies who have the cr@p stuff are they.

cheers

Garry
    Off course they won't just wondering how many other companies are meeting the same standards as BP. I wonder if the servo's would have a spec sheet on their diesel readily available for the public to see what levels of sulpher their diesel has ?
    Last edited by Black_Rat; 22-05-2007 at 08:02 PM.

I'm with you Chimo,the sulphur is "supposed" to stop/help the seals from becoming brittle although the replacement seals these days are "supposedly"able to handle the low sulphur..

bp must be the best ,because its the most expensive where i am

Some basic facts here for those interested.
    http://www.aip.com.au/industry/diesel.htm

I did some contract work for BP brisbane a few years back. I believe that their major motivation was not for cleaner fuels as suggested, but rather for use of lower quality cheaper crude. The end result is of course better cleaner fuels, but if there were no economic benifits then I doubt it would of been done.