Thread: compact rods?

compact rods?

Hi All,

I am currently in the market for a highly portable rod. I ride a bike, so something I can fit in a back pack or with a small carty case would be ideal.

I have seen a few of these teloscopic jobs and was not impressed with what I saw, maybe these were just poor examples???

I am looking for something 2-4kg, for hunting bream and the like, prefer a baitcaster style...

Does anyone know of any good examples of this (absolute price limit of $200)

Thanks!!

Rob

Re: compact rods?

Penn sell a nice combo, saw them at K mart. $99 2 piece rod and reel, looked the goods mate, just what your looking for

Mike

Thanks Mike,

I think I am after something a bit more compact than this...

I am thinking more along the lines of a 3 or even 4 piece rod , unless someone has a good way of carrying rods on a motorbike, then I can change the brief all together

Cheers

got a 6 foot graphite rod that is 5 peice, think its a 2-3 kg stick by shakesphere from memory (and thats bad), picked it up for my niece. I have sat a reel on it and loaded it up and it seems a nice little stick for what it is.
    cheers
    blaze

shimano do travel rods as well, not sure on prices but they come in like 6 pieces, with no flat spots on the blank, like you would imagine with a rod with that many sections,

and I don't likt telescopic rods at all, I have had the joints stick on more than one and they are made out of fiberglass and are just plain horrible IMO

Check out the uglystick range as i saw a bloke at the ningi cr last sunday using a 3p uglystick baitcaster 2-4 kg about 5'6".. Nice little rod

could possibly talk to one of the rod builders on here. ive done a lil myself but ill let them do the building but i know you can order i think it was a graphite usa blanks to what ever you want, colour, pieces ect. and that way you can get exactly what you want, or hey even look up building a rod and give it a crack yourself! i know ive been looking at some of the blanks from GUSA and ive priced it at under $200 easy, maybe worth a look but i know shimano used to have their camo range which wer travel rods, baitcaster and spinner, light aswell, and they looked good to boot! i hope theres a starting point for ya