Thread: Modified Cruiser and Qld Rego- Advice Please

Modified Cruiser and Qld Rego- Advice Please

Hi All

Thinking of buying an FJ40 off a mate of mine down south but a bit unsure of the mods on it. It is fitted with a 308 and single throat stromberg. He is a qualified mechanic and gasfitter (owns his own business), and will fit disc brake front end and gas conversion to it before i pick it up. It has no lift kit (i.e std height) and std wheels.

I will have to bring it up to Qld unreg (not driving it) and get all the engineers certificates etc up here.

My question is how much grief do i need to go through to get something like this on the road in Qld. What sort of costs and/or extra gear will i need to add to it.
    If its too much drama will probably give it a miss.

The offer is mega cheap and i can afford to spend around 3k to get it on the road, which is why i am considering it, plus the fact it will make and excellent beach/boat towing vehicle.

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Cheers

Mick

Re: Modified Cruiser and Qld Rego- Advice Please

Just one question. What engine was originally in it? I know once you start changing motors over it does make things more difficult to register a car in Qld but not impossible. Funny how it works here in the sunshine state. Often modifications result in a safer vehicle eg: changing to better disc brake systems however all modifcations to vehicles get frowned upon. Go figure. Good luck with it though.

Poodroo

G'day Poodroo

Being a HJ i am assuming that is was the old straight six petrol (4ltr i think??), Can find out but the ol mate is away up north for for a month and cant conact him till he gets back.(Kakadu, the b#stard).

If i decide to take it on i hope it is as entertaining as the adventure's of #2 the floating poo!!!!!

Cheers

Mick

A 308 is a small motor for the old cruiser. From memory you can run 350 as it goes off weight of vehicle/ motor size.
    If you get the mods certified up here you wont have a drama at QT when it comes time to register it. Come to think of it even if you have the NSW certificates QT will honour them.
    You may have to run retractable seat belts, two speed wipers. (if not already fitted). But thats about it.

Being such an old truck the motor should be right with the emissions.

Hope this helps

Neil

PS if in doubt ring a Transport Inspector

Quote Originally Posted by zigfreed View Post
    G'day Poodroo

Being a HJ i am assuming that is was the old straight six petrol (4ltr i think??), Can find out but the ol mate is away up north for for a month and cant conact him till he gets back.(Kakadu, the b#stard).

If i decide to take it on i hope it is as entertaining as the adventure's of #2 the floating poo!!!!!

Cheers

Mick
    Lol. I am starting to think that everyone has been reading the #2 stories. Glad they were entertaining for you. #2 does float and is pretty damn fast on the water with the Tohatsu on it. You never know, your truck adventures may well be very entertaining. Look forward to hearing all about it.

Poodroo

Ausfish Platinum Member

My suggestion would be not to listen to anyone. Make contact with your local Department of Transport, and they will give you the phone number of an approver in your area.
    Ring the approver, tell him what you have, and he will give the yay or nay.
    I have just been through this with a 6.5l TD Cruiser, and the regulations say that and engine conversion cannot put it above 10% of the largest factory option engine. Being HJ, this means that it most probably come with the 2F motor, and that means that the 5.0 litre is too big. But, and there is always a but, an approver can approve this change, as long as other improvements are done, brakes etc, and that the approval has been successfully proven to be OK in the past, in your case, you shouldn't have a problem.
    Like I recommend, make contact with an approver first, he is the one who will supply the blue plate for legalities, get is approval first.
    On a good note, you will end up with a top rig, one you won't be disappointed with.
    Good Luck.

Cheers
    Corry

PS, what gearbox is in it?
    Cheers
    Corry

It will need a blue plate but can be leagly done.
    As Corry said it will need improvements as well, like power disc brakes and more then likely power steering.
    Last edited by Reel Hard; 22-05-2007 at 10:56 AM.

Thanks Corry and Reelhard

Corry, dunno what sort of box is in it, assuming just the standard item. Do you reckon that would do the trick???

Wll take your advice on ringing Transport, surely if anyone can set me straight they can.

What is a blueplate and how does all off that process work??? I have done this sort of thing in NSW but not up here and am unfamiliar with it.

thanks

Zig

Zigfreed,
    A blue plate compliments your engineers certificate. It will be attached to your vehicle (normally under the bonnet). It is used as a quick reference point for enforcement officers and the customer service centres.

So just like the certificate down in NSW you will get a certificate and will also get a blue plate attached to the car. It will have a code on it saying its had an engine change.

Ring this number to get things clarified 38639892 it the number for the Northside Inspectors. They are normally quite helpful.

neil

Honky Dory

Thanks heaps mate you saved me the hassle of looking, yeah understand the blue plate theory now, just like a revised compliance plate then.

Will give them a call in when my mate gets back and i have all his info confirmed and let you all know how i go.

cheers

Zig

Hi Zigfreed, I once did a conversion on a fj40, it had the 4.2 six in it and I fitted a 289 ford windsor to it, the regulation at the time and this was mid 90s was that an engine size of 5 ltr was the limit and from memory the 308 conversion had to be fitted with disc brakes but mine did not need discs.
    So it seems that you are right on the money with the engine size but as the others have said do check with the department of transport before you go ahead because things may have changed, I had heaps of fun in the old girl and sometimes I still regret selling it. I have just finished doing a 85 model 75 series six wheeler and had to get a compliance plate fitted for the turbo and after a quick inspection they engraved a plate and fitted it, in and out in 45 minutes . Good luck and I hope it all comes together for you.