Thread: trolling metal lures

trolling metal lures

hi fellas i bought some metal lures today , i got a rio's 10g and a spanyid maniac 7g for spinning in woods bay at noosa, just wondering if anyone has trolled with metal lures , as i went on the spayid website and it had a section in trolling these lures, has anyone done this if so how much succes have you had, i think it sounds like a good idea for the maniacs but for the likes of the raider id tend to think you would have to troll at a fairly high speed, not sure though
    cheers fellas abbot

Re: trolling metal lures

Abbot,
    You can troll them for sure.
    Years ago, the old Wonder Wobbler was very popular for trolling for Tailor, Salmon etc. We used to troll for Salmon at Eden years ago, used to catch heaps.

Line twist can be a BIG problem though. Make sure you use a good ball bearing swivel and you should be right.

Cheers.

thanks ffej i didnt think of line twist,i wonder if they still make those wonder wobbler lures? cant say ive seen them on the shelf. cheers abbot

spanyid maniacs are the way to go if your trolling.......i have been trolling them all season with great success......maceral,tuna,GRINNERS,tailor and suze even hooked a marlin at the four beacons on a 17g maniac.......they seem to be the best ones to troll,i think its because of the good movement.i troll them between 4-9 knots.

Trolling metal lures can be done well with what everyone else has said. But what about the fuel you will go through for the speed you need in most cases. I think its best too find the school and if you cant see them, just watch the birds flying over head. Sometimes you will see only two or three hovering over them, but I have learnt that these birds are watching something and this gives me more time on the water.

minno

To Get Rid Of The Line Twists When Trolling Use Two Larger Swivels A Foot Apart Above The Trace This Gets Rid Of Most Twists

Shane