Thread: Threadfin?

Threadfin?

I have a sneaking suspicion that I have seen some Threadfin near Bribie. What Fly would I need to tame one of these bad boys?

Meherio

Re: Threadfin?

try chaurtuse/white clouser or all white,they work well up here. I dont think that you would get threddies that far south? But i dont live there so how would i know! When ya tie em dont be to fussy and get all technical cause its placement that catches em. Cheers Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan5 View Post
    try chaurtuse/white clouser or all white,they work well up here. I dont think that you would get threddies that far south? But i dont live there so how would i know! When ya tie em dont be to fussy and get all technical cause its placement that catches em. Cheers Dan.
    Hi Dan,I regularly get them in the Brissie river,and they are found as far south as the Tweed.Cheers.

Ah well learn somthin every day thats awesome news to hear i thought it might get to cold for them down there but i thought wrong.A mate of mine that i did some guiding with in darwin showed me some photos of a couple of barra that he caught on the mooroochie river about 2 years ago he said that they are not common but are there.Ive never really looked for it on a map to see how far south that is,is it far from where you get the threddies?

G'day Dan,

With in 45min. Sunday arv is my next opportunity to have a go for the threadfin. Going offshore tonight.

Meherio

Don't know if this helps but i used to get them on pink things and clousers up north, however all fish were sight cast to. The most important thing i found was the angle of fly presentation. If the fly or leader touched the fishes fillaments which were mostly fanned out at 90 degrees to their bodies the fish would immeadiatley spook and bolt. As such presentations would have to lead the fish by a couple of feet and come across in front of the fish. If a fish was sighted heading away from you it was almost impossible to make an effective presentation and it was a better idea to move the boat ( with the electric outboard) into a better casting position ( and possibly spook the fish) than to cast

cheers
    richard