Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Daiwa SALTIGA or Shimano Stella

Daiwa SALTIGA or Shimano Stella

Hi

I am an avid fisherman up here in the tropics and fish at least once a week. The wife(Boss) said nothing when I said that we should buy some good reels that can last and handle the conditions. We are going to Japan in December and I want to check out the fishing/tackle shops in Tokyo. Last time I was there I never pourchased much but this time we are thinking of a Daiwa Saltiga-Z 6500 or Shimano Stella 8000FA. I have checked out prices here in Australia and believe that there is a possibility of getting these reel;s about $200 cheaper from Tokyo. I might get father in law to buy me something for Xmas even if the Japanese do not celebrate Xmas.....he!he!.

My question is....................what does everybody think.................which is better?? We fish the Townsville Breakwater rocks a lot. Small and big fish around. Mainly bait fisher persons. Fish the creeks for Barra and Jacks and considering reef fishing as well.

Cheers

Re: Daiwa SALTIGA or Shimano Stella

G`day Kingkev I Dont Know All That Much About Saltiga`s But Mates Of Mine Say There Tops , I Do Own 2 Stellas And I Can Tell You That They Are An Excellant Reel Smooth And Strong With Awesome Drags My Reels Are 10000 And 20000 But I Think An 8000 Would Be Of Same Quality And I Dont Think You Could Go Wrong With One Hope This Helps ! Monostretcho ! Tight Lines

The diawa's are the better reel and worth spending the extra dollars on( usually about 20% more) Both are very very good reels though!

Ian

I predominantly load up the reels with 30lb braid and initially was thinking of Stella 20000 FA but have shyed away a bit because of cost. The Daiwa Saliga seems to be a better value but just not sure about quality. $1000 for the Stella as apposed to $850 for Daiwa.......hmmmmmmmm does the fifference in price reflect a difference in quality??

Thanks for the feed back

Thumbs up Re: Daiwa SALTIGA or Shimano Stella

The Stella 8000 is an awesome reel much more suited for 30lb than the larger Saltiga Z-6500 and Stella 20000, and the drag is tops right out of the box. The Saltiga Z-4500 is more in the same size and price bracket. I won't say the Shimano 'is' the better reel as I have no right to, but I use Stellas and Twinpowers all the time and can't find a bad word about them.

Don't forget no warranties for reels bought outside Aussie
    Last edited by GPB; 17-05-2007 at 12:31 PM.

Thanks GPB

I have been considering the Shimano twin power TP6000FB...............nice reel. My wife is Japanese and in-laws live in Tokyo. I am sure that I can get around the warrenty issues.............well I hope so. before laying out a pocket load of money, I will certainly check the warrenty issues. Very happy tom hear that the Shimano 8000 STELLA is better suited to braid. The Stella could be THE one.

GPB is right - better opting for an 8000. 20000 size may be overkill.

I've said it all before - at this high-end of the reel market you are both talking about two very good reels. However, the Daiwa (for me) has way too many short-comings, in particular drag issues (amongst other things).

Metion "Stella" and i can't fault them - I use them for a living and use them hard. Have used them all, from Saltiga to Twinspin i am confident i am using the best - Stella.

Hope that helps,
    Luke

Hi Kingkev,

I have regently returned from Tokyo and bought a Saltiga 6000GT for $A550.00.

I am not an expert but have used both. My understanding is that Shimano is still living on old technology but Diawa is using the latest digigear systems. A totally waterproof reel with lots of Drag even though you most probably can't hold it.

The Saltiga 4500 will be the one that I will buy in two weeks.

Frank OO

id have to disagree with getting he stella id have to say the saltiga.
    i work in a tackle store and heps more people get saltiga's then a stella.
    saltiga's never have a problem with them when jigging for kings but stella needs to be surviced a few times to keep it performing!

good to hear Frank,

That is a pretty good price for the 6000GT. I will probably shop in Shibuya as well as in Ikebukero. Can I ask where you purchased yours from and what is the situation with warranty?

Exclamation Re: Daiwa SALTIGA or Shimano Stella

If it's totally waterproof get them to warranty it if you put it in a bucket of salt water!!
    Kingkev, do your self a favour and go to a tackle shop and play with a Twinpower or Stella and see for your self what 'old technology' is supposedly like!

Frank oo, where did your 'understanding' come from, a Diawa dealer?, please tell me why Fluidrive 2 is 'old technology', facts please not hearsay.
    Last edited by GPB; 17-05-2007 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GPB View Post
    If it's totally waterproof get them to warranty it if you put it in a bucket of salt water!!
    Kingkev, do your self a favour and go to a tackle shop and play with a Twinpower or Stella and see for your self what 'old technology' is supposedly like!

Frank oo, where did your 'understanding' come from, a Diawa dealer?, please tell me why Fluidrive 2 is 'old technology', facts please not hearsay.
    this is just another shimano vs daiwa argument. fluidrive 2 is that all shikmano have what about digi gear,digi gear 2, air bail,cross wrap, and rotor brake. also kingkev the saltiga is just as good for barid as the stella is.
    u should also seriously talk to a few of your tackle shops.

hello kingkev,
    although i havent used either of these reels the guys at NOMAD fishing charter use both when chasing big gt,s and dogtooth tuna. if you look on thier web site they review them both and give an experience opinion on them.
    hope this helps. nomadsportsfishing.com.au - i think this is the right address

Thumbs up Re: Daiwa SALTIGA or Shimano Stella

breamnut, you are spot on, I think Diawa and Shimano are both top brands and I own and have owned both in 40 years of fishing. I just don't like statements like QUOTE:"My understanding is that Shimano is still living on old technology", unless there is fact to back it up.
    Push your favorite brand as much as you like, just don't put uninformed crap on someone else's like Frank OO did, leave that for the yanks, they are experts.

A Diawa fan will buy a Certate
    A Shimano fan will buy a Twinpower
    Both will be Happy
    Last edited by GPB; 17-05-2007 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by breamnut View Post
    this is just another shimano vs daiwa argument. fluidrive 2 is that all shikmano have what about digi gear,digi gear 2, air bail,cross wrap, and rotor brake. also kingkev the saltiga is just as good for barid as the stella is.
    u should also seriously talk to a few of your tackle shops.
    Ha! That’s real gold. So you also judge what a better reel is simply because you sell more of one through the tackle shop you work at? That’s some good advice you can take to the bank guys…

Buzz words mate – and the Stella has equivalents if you really want to analyse it…e.g. titanium power roller, dyna balance etc…

Talk to a few tackle shops – sure, but half the blokes wouldn’t have a clue and just jump on one band wagon – sounds a bit like you, no real useful info just garbage.

GPB, old technology made me laugh too