Thread: 4 door tray backs, where do I get em?

4 door tray backs, where do I get em?

My van has finally died and I have worked out the best thing for both my business and boat towing is a 4 door turbo diesel with a tray back. I would then fit the canopy I want and my existing rhino ladder racks.

I have spent hours on various websites and the best I can come up with is this one. http://www.drive.com.au/used-cars/TO...1&SG=400164984

After a bit of a squiz on the redbook site it appears that they list the first turbo diesel in 1999, so this being a 1990 would it have to be an after market turbo could this make it trouble? I think that would then therefore make this one a LN106R DX and redbook say these are worth $5000 to $8000. I have never seen a car advertised as cheap as what redbook reckon.

I know there is a great one in here under the for sale section but it is out of my price range unfortuanately.

I really don't care if it's a Nissan, Toyota, Holden or Ford. At a pinch I'd look at a Mitsubishi.

Where are the 4 door tray backs in my price range?

Any ideas guys?

Henno

Re: 4 door tray backs, where do I get em?

What's your price range?Would you consider my 4wd? Posted in for sale - otheror the trading post.
    Cheers,

Wags

Sorry about that, after that blurb I didnt mention my range. I'm looking between 10 and 15 grand.

Actually Wags it was yours that I was talking about. I'd love yours actually but can't afford it.

Henno

Have a 93 Hilux dual cab 2.8 diesel with a aftermarket turbo and have had no problems with it being turboed. The next shape Lux after 97 i think was the first offered with a turbo on the oiler from the factory.
    I would take $15000 for mine but I don't think the wife would let me sell it.
    It is modified a bit and has a tub tray with canopy and a draw system with water tanks and electrick pump. It also has been ligfted and has all the bar work, a dual batery system, turbo, long range tank, winch, mud tires, front and rear diff lockers and lots more. It has served me well and will go almost anywhere and has been to the tip of Cape York and back.

If you were to pick up a style side at the right price it would leave enough money to put a tray on the back and take a leaf or 2 out of the rear springs as there would be less unladen weight.

Hey again,

I am still desperately seeking a 4WD in the above mentioned price range. I just rang the dealer regarding the one in the link I put up the top. Could one of you gurus have a click on that and tell me what you think please.

Frustrated ute needer
    Henno

Well if you dont have a trade in, and private finance or cash. Im sure you can knock him down $1000 - $2000 on the price. which then it would be a good truck for that!! But 400 000k's is roughly the time an engine rebuilt is needed for diesels and usually less than that with an aftermarket turbo. So ask or check the mod plate for when it was turbo'd. And i usually check the log books or any paper work for previous owners and ring them and ask if they had any problems. But if you get it checked out from racq and they say its fine!! Compression tests and oil checks etc... Then looks all good to me. I dont think youd be paying anything under that (10k) for a turbo diesel anything 4x4... Only maybe a 2x4 daul cab.
    BD
    Last edited by BenDover; 06-06-2007 at 05:27 PM.

Thanks Ben. I am looking at a few and my price range may have gone up a bit now. If I do go for that hilux I will take your advice though. A wise man told me today that if the yard is asking 12k for it that they probably paid 8k for it on a trade in. So I'd definately be going lower than that.

Too many K's ,gearbox could be at the end of its tether or something else. By the time you pay to get it fixed youl wished you had spend a couple more grand.
    wamjam

Happy now. Got myself a nice Rodeo from a mate of a mate and it's got loads of extras. Will post pics as soon as I get time to put some ausfish stickers on it.