Thread: new fly setup needed (beginner)

new fly setup needed (beginner)

hey guys,

Im looking to take the plunge into flyfishing, and as I have a trip planned for NZ in Feb next year i thought i better get started so i have plenty of practice before hitting the real thing over on the south island.

Can anyone help me out with what i need to get started,
    ie: rod weight and type, (even brands etc)
    reel, line, bits and pieces etc

any help is much appreciated,

i know you can get the real cheapo combos but i dont mind paying a littkle extra if the setup will last me.

I will use the setup over in NZ for trout and then hopefully when i get back some bass or bream etc

any tips here are appreciated,

Thanks

Ben

Re: new fly setup needed (beginner)

Hi Yella,

I have a Vision 4 in an #8 its a four piece so is great for travel I have it teamed up with a Gillies reel with a #9 weight forward floating line also have a similar reel loaded with the same weight clear intermediate, this has been great for me in the salt chasing everything from Bream to Barra.
    Maybe a little heavy for trout I use a #6 and a #4 for trout but as a beginner I started with a #8 suited all my needs without having to fork out for multiple rods but as time has gone on I purchased other rods to suit the species I am fishing for, hope this helps.

Regards,

The Bomber

Re: new fly setup needed (beginner)

have a 5w Gillies rod with reel floating line and much more. I used to fish in the blue mountains, tie my own flies etc. Probably got more than you need to get you started.Pm me.