Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Fishing for the poor

Re: Fishing for the poor

Quote Originally Posted by aus2045 View Post
    Now i fish off jetties, i have 3 outfits

First i cast my cast net till i get enough bait.

1. Loomis SR721, 1500 Capricorn Reek, 4lb Nitlon PE briand, no sinker, 20lb Flourocarbon leader, live prawn bait,\

2. Loomis C641, shamano Calcutta 50 8ld Nitlon PE Braid, small sinker, 20lb leader small live fish (herring)

3. Shamano Certate 2500, 15lb Nitlon PE briad, Strudwick 7ft rod, pea sinker, LARGE live prawn.
    Fishing for the poor he says? I certainly have not been wealthy enough to have a Loomis rod in my collection. Mate I cannot understand how anyone can start a thread crying poor claiming to be unable to catch anything sounding like a beginner without a clue and own rods and reals that most of us fishos can only ever dream of having? It all sounds very dubious to me. If I go to any tackle shop and spend the kind of money that you have on gear I would have enough knowledge to catch a feed I should think. I think I am a poor man by comparison but I still catch a lot of fish on the gear I have and now that I have just got a tinny seaworthy again that is going to change things for me I'm sure.

Poodroo
    Last edited by Poodroo; 16-05-2007 at 03:22 AM.

Cheap gear? send it to me mate, gear like that will never see my boat. mt favourite and most successful rod is a $129 combo from BCF.............I am struggling to believe your posts mate

Mike

Something fishy here
    Last edited by Black_Rat; 16-05-2007 at 06:15 AM.

Well, I,m just off to Moreton in my 90grand modified Whittley. I'm a bit "poor" on the old tackle though (not wedding) Don't have a rod costing more than 69 bucks. Being poor on tackle should cancel out being rich on rig, hopefully, so I'll let you know how I get on in the reports section.

Sounds to me mate, you selling the boat 'n all, and having that rich man's tackle, that it's taken you a couple of years to realise how a missus and few kids can curtail your spending.

kev

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

Time for a new hobby I think Aus

$1000 for all that gear?? Mate, send it to me, better still, I'll be in Rocky today or tomorrow, I'll pick it up. You have listed $10,000 worth of gear, probably more, not a bad investment for someone who can't fish. I have only ever bought myself one really nice rod, but it doesn't come close to the price tag on a loomis, Garry Howard does build a damn fine rod though. The rest of my gear is towards the bottom end of the range, but does what I need it to do, catches me fish.

Anyway, this game has been fun, but I'm getting over it pretty quickly now.

Dave.

fished with it alot out of Noosa, Moooloolabah, Tweed, Gold Coast, even launched it off the beach at Waddy on Fraser Island, fished the banks NE off Indain Head, fished the sandy cape shoals, bottom fished, live baited, trolled lures, jigged deep metal. Also fished with that boat out of Airlie Beach many times - Double Cones, the rubble patches NE of Hayman Island, fished the wide grounds off Bowen, Ratray Island Mackerel grounds in their peak season , Never came home with a keeper.

You must be a terrible fisherman.

My brother lives in NSW, his mates go to weipa with him , they fish with 50lb mono, and producer lures. Last trip they got only one barra,

There's the problem.
    It’s genetic.

MMmmm... it's all a bit bipolar, sell the extravagant stuff and tootle around in a 12 ft tinny - no other good option and it is a good option, lot's of perfectly usable cars around for next to nothing also, you may need to do without air-con, 6 months would see you right, I have been boat-less for the last 7 months working to get back on the water in such a way as to mediate the financial pain, can be done.

cheers fnq

you will not catch anything if you fish in your bathtub.

Next time, get the taxi to the water, rather than your mums house

I recently went fishing up there just out from Roslyn Bay and got 8 spanish in 3 hours.

Certainly was not 100ks outside either.

inside the islands.

i don't have a car or a boat either, but i just missed a 110-120 flattie the other day with 15 legal bream and 50 & 60cm flattie taken in 2 hours landbased.
    i took the train, mate

all i can say is that you sorta did poke the tiger with the stick, and if you do he will bite....

you wont catch jack rich or poor unless you know the area examples,
    give me half a loaf of bread, tie a piece of line onto the END of an old fishing rod and ill outfish anyone anytime of the year from a bank.
    or give me a light cheap outfit, some wool and a long shank, and ill out fish you.

its not about the tackle or how much you have mate, if you know nothing, you wont catch anything. take the time and all the experiences when youve caught nothing as learning curves. maybe even keep a diary, my old man does, he has records of where he fish, what time, the moon phase, the tide and the conditions and what he caught dating back 15years, and because of that he knows where fish will be. i take it your sorta new to fishing, best thing you could do is try and have a few fisho's with someone that has a bit of knowledge, that way you can pick up on a few things

Howdy Team - I'm a Rocky local, so it is time to chime into this one.

Must be a wind up.

After reading the "saving for a boat' post I was going to offer a trip in my tinny. This would be a half day fishing a local estuary. Big fish not guaranteed, but we pretty much always end up throwing back legal bream due to their numbers. After seeing this post I am now re-thinking the offer.

3 weeks ago my brother in law caught 2 barra landbased in the Rocky city reaches of the river, using local prawn for bait.

Loomis rods, Shimano reels........... Nice gear. My $60 rods and $80 reels just wouldn't stack up to the quality gear mentioned - if you are looking to offload some let me know

Mate there are a heap of fish where you are. I ran into a bloke last month who was new to Rocky, sitting with his Staffy having a fishing off the bank. He rode his pushbike to the fishing spot because there was no car to drive. His gear wasn't the most expensive, but well looked after. He also had a missus and child at home. He was a top bloke to have a chat to, and I'm guessing that it was not you???

Mate - if you can't find reasonable work in Rocky you mustn't be looking hard enough. There is a stack around, you just have to be keen and persistent.

I agree that this thread is very different to the "saving for a boat' thread......

Gotta love a good wind up

Cheers.

Ed.

I have got a good laugh out of Aus2045. The thread he started in fly fishing about tying a fly for catfish cracked me up.
    Thanks for that aus.

I might try your bassa recipee too

5 pages on this thread is not bad fishing in itself.

Yep

He knows his fishing, he set the bait and caught you all.

lol yeh rando and whale oil, i only just caught on, prob coz im lazy and dont read everthing in the thread, good on ya aus, i love a shit stir any day lol