Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Fishing for the poor

Re: Fishing for the poor

definitely a wind up

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    definitely a wind up
    Yup. We've been baited I suspect. 3600klms for one Barra?

Poodroo

Not a wind up, I just cant catch a fish (Stingray and Catfish excluded). I wish I could. But never taken a keeper home since 1999, looking at my records that was a 4.5kg Fingermark from the outside edge of the rockwall at Able Point Marina at Airlie Beach., on a deep rapala shad-rap.

My brother lives in NSW, his mates go to weipa with him , they fish with 50lb mono, and producer lures. Last trip they got only one barra,

Reckon they should save that stuff for the whipper snipper, drop back 20-25lb would probably help a bit. I think the keys are research and local knowledge, that'll get you further than any amount of $$ ever will.

Dave.

aus2045,
    Mate, Im the worst fisherman there is and I can still catch fish, I dont have flash gear or fish 100's of klm's offshore or an $80000k plus boat.

Maybe you could just go and get some of those "trophy fish" like the other guys on here apparently get from the co op and post pictures of.

Mate, it sounds to me as though you are talking a lot of sh!t, Im sure there is a member of Ausfish that in your area that would take you for a fish and show that you dont need all that flash gear you are talking about to catch fish.

Cheers

Paul

I used to live in Port Stevens (nelson Bay) when I first moved there after years of fishing all kinds at some time (from the age of 4), it was a real slog to pull a keeper above a whiting in the estuary or nearshore, felt like a waste of time and was if I didn't just like being there, offshore was easy as always.

Took me 6 months to get to know the place and after that never failed to get a good feed if I wanted it, nothing changed but me and where how and at what time I fished.

I think in an ecological sense some of the nearshore regions of your coast is naturally a bit devoid of fish compared to some others, not to say good fish cannot be found but it may take a bit of time/work to get with it.

cheers fnq
    Last edited by FNQCairns; 15-05-2007 at 09:42 PM.

50 lb mono ... what are they tryin' ta catch? Marlin?

Seriously, I fish Fitzy, Cap Coast and a few fresh areas, without a boat, and I manage to catch a few .... not always keepers, but enough to keep me happy.

Patience, use the right tackle, bait or lure, and be where the fish are ... you should do OK.

Cheers

Aus post up how you set up your tackle and baits and i'm sure you'll get some good advice if it's the way to go or not. There must be some reason why your not catching fish 8 years is a bloody long time between drinks.

Dave.
    Avast ye matey!

Dude get real, there is no way known to man that you could fish that long and not get a fish.
    Eventually the law of averages says you should get a fish
    there is nowhere that you could fish for 8 years straight and not take a legal fish home
    if this isnt a wind up i reckon you must be a once a year fisher..
    Matt

i catch whiting , bream, flathead ,taylor and salmom of Manly beach in Sydney .one of the most popular beaches in sydney .which is surounded by about 2 1/2 million people .the fish are there they are just smarter than they use to be .do your homework - use fresh or live bait - fish as light as posable - use sharp hooks - release the fish you wont eat and sell your $80000 boat.

ok. When I had my boat,

While anchored: I have 4 outfits.

1. I use, a Calcutter with 20lb briad on a cut down killwell blank, normally fish with it as a floater, unweighted biats like pilcards, often no lead, buet lead if current requires to get it floating down a bit.

2. TLD10 and home made rod on a Sabre blank, 40lb braid. If I have a livie, i'll fish it attached to about 10ft of 2kg line attached to the double with a simple knot and a half inflated baloon.

3. 6500 Baitrunner, 8kg Mono, Loomis L905. no weight, float out a pillie, or even a livie

4. Shimano Charter Special, 40 lb Nitlon PE Briad, Custome Kilwell blank, enough lead to get it to the bottom, large flesh biat, or livie, 80lb leader, 6o Circle Hook
    Last edited by aus2045; 15-05-2007 at 10:12 PM. Reason: missed a rod

No fish in Australian esturariesor or rivers , mularky...
    Mate get in with a few of the locals who do catch fish and learn , then come back on this site and show us some photo's .
    Remember fishing is a sport that can be relaxing if you want it to be or you can work it and put a bit of effort and maybe the results will improve .
    I know if I'm having a bad day it is hard to break out of the cycle, but , attitude is the key , I 'm sure when your all moped out the signal is sent down the line and the bait sours [you know what I mean] . but a happy angler cathes more fish and therefore becomes the happy angler and so on and so forth .

Hope you can catch some better luck mate

Greg
    Give a man a fish and feed him for a day , teach a man to fish and feed him for life .

Now i fish off jetties, i have 3 outfits

First i cast my cast net till i get enough bait.

1. Loomis SR721, 1500 Capricorn Reek, 4lb Nitlon PE briand, no sinker, 20lb Flourocarbon leader, live prawn bait,\

2. Loomis C641, shamano Calcutta 50 8ld Nitlon PE Braid, small sinker, 20lb leader small live fish (herring)

3. Shamano Certate 2500, 15lb Nitlon PE briad, Strudwick 7ft rod, pea sinker, LARGE live prawn.
    Last edited by aus2045; 15-05-2007 at 10:20 PM. Reason: insanity

Thumbs down Re: Fishing for the poor

Quote Originally Posted by aus2045 View Post
    My brother lives in NSW, his mates go to weipa with him , they fish with 50lb mono, and producer lures. Last trip they got only one barra,

depending on what time of year they went,,, this could be true,,,, but weipa normally produces more than 1 barra,,, meaning there are heaps of other fish to chase

how do i know,,, i purchased a 40 foot mobile home and had it trucked to weipa in 2004,,, just prior to the doctor giving me a life sentence of treatment at the time,,, i spent about 12 months in weipa prior to this,,, and if you go there and only catch 1 barra,,,,,,,,,,mmmmmmmmm,,,, leaves a bit to the imagination

the mobile home is still there,,,, hence the recent posts of mine sorting out gear etc etc,,, mrs choppa and me have been planning a trip for ages,,,,now that i'm getting back on my feet its achievable,,,

but to quote on a forum that you only caught 1 fish in weipa is absolute suicide,,,, sorry but i'm on the side of an earlier post response

choppa
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE