Thread: Would love to catch a fish on my fly rod.

Would love to catch a fish on my fly rod.

Hi all, I bought a good 9wt rod and reel about 5-6 years ago, but am yet to catch a fish on it. It's a shame I live in Central Qld, as there are no fish here. I'll have to wait till I go to Brisbane next. Or to Cairns in a few years.

Re: Would love to catch a fish on my fly rod.

Being rather old now is my fly gear still ok for chasing small palagics, etc Strudwick 9wt (Dean Butler series or something simialr) its blue. Loop Evotech 9-11, 50lb Braid Backing, 9wt SA Stripper Intermediate line, plus a SA fast sink line too. Anyone know how to tie a flie for tempting catfish ?
    Last edited by aus2045; 14-05-2007 at 04:36 PM. Reason: syntax error

learn to tie yourself a white clouser 1/0 or 2/0 they are Queensland's version of the Red Tag
    everything eats them it would have to be best alrounder fly there is for salt water.
    I am sure there are better flys for specific species but for an allrounder I think its hard to beat

Smile Re: Would love to catch a fish on my fly rod.

Sounds like a nice outfit, with plenty of horse power. If your looking for your first fish on the wand it's hard to go past the flatty. Clousers in the white, pink or greens are hard to beat. You will have an excess of grunt with the 9# but who cares, its all fun. There are some who fish variations of size.weight, colour and material in clousers for many different species, with great success.
    The main thing is to work the strike zone, over and over.
    Post a pic of wand fish No 1 soon.

Bassbuster

i've had some success with a similar outfit casting 1/0 white decievers amongst the mangroves around gladstone mainly cod and flathead but all good sport,,