Thread: Braid - What Brand?????

Re: Braid - What Brand?????

Where'd you see it 80lb for that price KEv? Ill take a spool at that price

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin_Mike View Post
    Where'd you see it 80lb for that price KEv? Ill take a spool at that price

Mike
    That's why I'm asking if it's any good. seems too good to be true. BCF Lawnton had only 3 rolls down on the bottom of the shelf with no price on. I asked the girl at the checkout to scan it for me, and that's the price they came up with. The other mart nearby had it on at 10 bucks dearer but would price match. I'd not seen it before and it seems strange that both are now stocking it. I just wanted to make sure it was ok before spending the deckie's hard-earned bucks. The diameter, as I say, seems somewhat bigger than most, but I may be mistaken.

kev

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

Kev,

I picked up a spool of the multicoloured suffix braid in 30lb and put it on my baitcaster for barra fishing. So far I have given it a good workout and caught a few nice barra on it. It has not let me down yet so Im fairly impressed with it. The only downside is that the colour fades fairly quickly although this does not affect its performance.

Hi Marlin-Mike,

All the keen jiggers choose coloured braid because it makes it so much easier to work your lure in the right zone. Re. brands, all jap braids are top, but since you're thinking of using 80lbs (personally I use 40lbs Varivas), you'll have a comfortable safety margin and you can use any brand (except wiplash, it's crap).

NB: Dyneema or Spectra is the (manufacturer) name of the fibre used to make super-lines. If the fibres are weaved, then it's called braid (eg. Bionic) and if the fibres are fused then it's gsp (eg. Fireline). PE is just a rating scale invented by the japs (eg. PE5 = 5*10lbs= 50lbs, etc.)

Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by metaloid View Post
    Hi Marlin-Mike,

All the keen jiggers choose coloured braid because it makes it so much easier to work your lure in the right zone. Re. brands, all jap braids are top, but since you're thinking of using 80lbs (personally I use 40lbs Varivas), you'll have a comfortable safety margin and you can use any brand (except wiplash, it's crap).

NB: Dyneema or Spectra is the (manufacturer) name of the fibre used to make super-lines. If the fibres are weaved, then it's called braid (eg. Bionic) and if the fibres are fused then it's gsp (eg. Fireline). PE is just a rating scale invented by the japs (eg. PE5 = 5*10lbs= 50lbs, etc.)

Hope that helps!
    Thanks for that metaloid, I will go spend some dollars on braid today. I think more likely to go 60lb though. See how i go.

Mike

Kev, I have been using suffix on one of my reels for a couple of months. But not in the heavy class.

In the lighter classes the diameter and rating are less than what we consider normal. ie; 10lb normally breaks at a much higher load with most braids, but with suffix, 10lb is 10lb. You need to keep this in mind and get a higher rating than what you would normally use. I got some 15lb and it broke at about the same as my 10lb fireline.

I like the way it performs. Very smooth and casts a mile.

I also spooled up my 4500 baitrunner with 30lb, but have not used it yet.

As for joining, I use a bimini and a braid/leaderknot. Braid/leader knot is like a bristol knot but without the initial feed through the loop. Very fast and easy knot to tie and suppose to be one of, or the best to tie your leaders with. Just wrap the braid loop around the leader 6 times (no more), bend the leader tag back and through teh end of teh braid loop, and tension it up.

Cheech

Quote Originally Posted by metaloid View Post
    Hi Marlin-Mike,

Hope that helps!
    Tend to dissagree with the later part of your statement (2nd Parragraph) but will happily stand corrected if I'm wrong.If I read correctly you are claiming that only the fused product is GSP and the woven product is braid? I believe that the lines we class as 'super lines' are all in fact made from Poly-Ethylene Gell,it is then spun into fibers,line manufacturers aquire it and class it as 'Braid' wether it is fused or woven,I also believe Dyneema/Spectra to be made from the same product,as for the PE, my understanding is that it simply stands for Poly Ethylene with the following number being a thickness rating more so than a weight class.

I am a lover of Finns Braid...but I have used several others over the years...Sufix is good...Tuff is good...and I recently gave Cortlands a go...and it is holding up well so far...I like to go with the green or moss colors...It is just a personal liking...Most of the braid i use is 30..50..80...130 pound...

I dont think there is a really bad braid on the market...it just that some seem to last longer than others and i find Finns to be superior in knot strength than others...hence my personal choice...

Cheers Mick

Hi all. I have always used siperwire stealth then FINS on baitcasters and have been extremely impressed with their perrformance. especially arounf timber and structure targeting big barra etc. I have recently spooled a reel with a new japanese braid called NITLON PE. I use there leader (especially in lighter classes) and have had good results, so I thought I would try the braid too. Ultra impressed! A big barra dragged 30lb NITLON PE thru acres of timber at monduran recently and it stood up well with no freying or breaking. I gritted my teeth and held my breath listening to it grind against the trees mind you, expecting it to break! I probalbly wont go back to any other braid for a while.

Oh yeah, casts brilliant new too! sits on reel nicely.
    cheers steve

Thumbs up Re: Braid - What Brand?????

I too have gone to YGK Nitlon braid, from Whiplash 20lb [worn out] on a Corado and from Spiderwire Stealth 10lb [upgraded] on a Citica, casts like a dream on bait-casters and about to use 30lb on a Emblem Pro [yes I do own 1 Diawa] for medium spinning/popping. I believe it is the same as the 8ply YGK Jigman which has not faulted us over the last four years in 50, 70 and 80lb Jigging outfits.

Mmmmmmmmm/ I did post a reply earlier but it seems to have not made it to the page?

Thanks fellers for the replies.

The unpriced sufix that scanned at 59 bucks scanned today at 69 I bought some anyway 'cause I like all those pretty colours

Now back to knots. I've googled a lot and some folk use improved clinch knot (although with more turns than mono) for attaching to swivels etc, and some say to steer clear. I've never had one slip in fireline at 14lb but am wondering about it's strength (self cutting) in the heavier class. I can tie this knot with my eyes shut (50 yrs practice) and would like to stick with it.........anyone else use it?

cheers

kev

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    Harro's Bionic and Platypus braid are the same product (so I'm led to believe) and I've only used them in the lighter class up to 10lbs,at this size I've found them to be excellent in both wearing and knot strength and cant see why the heavier classes wouldn't be an excellent product.
    Tuffline comes with a good rap,I was set to spool up with it after I lost most of my Sunline but I was offered a full reel of 80lbs Whiplash off a bulk spool for a bargain and have stuck with it,having said that,I wouldn't touch it (Whiplash) in the lighter line classes as it can suffer poor knot strength due to it's ultra thin diameter.I know that Neil at Jones's Tackle uses and rates the tuffline as good as any for jigging,from memory I think the Tuffline is a little more exspensive than most.

Naa Banshee its not the same.Bionic is not as limp as Platapus but having said that Platapus is good stuff.
    There are heaps of good braids around now and prices have come down heaps.(Thank god)
    Got a mate that uses Suffix in the 80lb jobby and he loves it.

Toddy

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy_again View Post
    Naa Banshee its not the same.Bionic is not as limp as Platapus but having said that Platapus is good stuff.
    There are heaps of good braids around now and prices have come down heaps.(Thank god)
    Got a mate that uses Suffix in the 80lb jobby and he loves it.

Toddy
    Who makes Bionic?

Bionic Braid came about through a collaboration between Rod Harrison and Don McPherson [Mr Platypus]. They saw short comings in existing Spectra/Dyneema braided and fused lines and set out to make a superline that was both distinctive and superior.
    They succeeded. Made in Australia, from Type 75 Dyneema fibres - currently the industry's finest denier - Bionic Braid is stronger than any fused Spectra/Dyneema lines of comparable diameter.
    Bionic Braid is subject to progressive refinements as thinner yet finer fibres become available. Those upgrades have allowed Bionic Braid to maintain it's edge as the world's most versatile, durable and user-friendly gelspun super line.

Taken off Rod Harrisons web site.
    Last edited by GPB; 17-05-2007 at 09:28 PM.

My preference in heavy line classes are YGK and Tuff,
    Both of these have never failed me, where others have

Aj