Thread: air-o-float stabilizers

air-o-float stabilizers

Got a 3.4m tinny with a 9.9 and want to take it off Pt Cartwrite at Moollaba to chase some mackerel on a good day and also to other less sheltered places like Morten Bay and Harvey Bay. Found these on the net which may help saftey wise. What are your opinions on such a product and has anyone got or tried them?

ttp://www.airofloat.com/

Re: air-o-float stabilizers

Mate they look like a top idea to me. I just recently got an old 3.7 metre Quintrex back in the water and realized that when carrying a few on board it is very important to keep the weight distributed evenly in a tinnie both on the plane and whilst sitting off the plane while fishing. I started thinking of the outrigger canoe idea and how to increase stability using a similar idea and then up pops your post. Definitely something I would consider because I like fishing in the bay. If you decide to get them then let me know how they go. My only concern would be the fact that when fishing you always bring your fish in via the side of the boat so it wouldn't be too hard to either have a fish spike go through the air-o-float of even a hook. If they had similar attachments using styrofoam I would probably even consider it myself.

Poodroo
    Last edited by Poodroo; 14-05-2007 at 02:12 AM.

Hmmmm if me glass boat was sinking, and I had those on would it keep it upright and not turn over. Much rather stay in the boat than try and hang on to the up turned hull. Not a bad price either.

Hi Guys,
    That is the type of thing that I was suggesting in this post
    http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...d.php?t=109061

But I would like it to be inside a pop-open pliable plastic cover.
    This would make it punture proof.
    I would like to have them auto-inflate with compressed air ,or as suggested by gas cartridge.

After posting I read about the Air-o-float tubes in F888888+B8888888r mag.

noboat,
    I think they would be a great idea.
    But keep the hooks clear.

Regards
    seabug
    Last edited by seabug; 14-05-2007 at 01:10 PM.

Do you think it would be possible to fill them with a type of closed cell space invader? This would prevent puncturing or rupturing, would retain the shape, and still have the attachments.

Not sure if its possible but may be worth a thought?

Cheers

Dave

Further to what I was saying earlier about my concerns about punctures I am wondering if it would be a feasible to fill them up with a spray type foam rather than with air? The foam would dry up inside giving it boyancy and be puncture proof. What does everyone else think?

Poodroo

I have looked into these also.

They are made from neoprene(wetsuit, stubby cooler material) so the skin is fairly thick. Also, you don't pump them up to any great pressure, so I think it wouldn't be a simple thing to puncture them.

Saying that, I am sure that with a bit of dedication, I could manage it some day.

If you do puncture it eventually.
    Guess you could stuff it full of the kids pool noodles, Make a great fender then too, specially with the barnicle encrusted piers around my area.

here is similar thing polypropylene sponsons 300 mm dia 6mm thick 150% flotation, large forefoot etc.

they are kinda ugly guys and i dont think theyd work if your boat was upside down buy some 9inch plastic water pipe and put a u piece in it and a cap on each end and hey presto pontoons probably not too dear either coop

Quote Originally Posted by harlequin View Post
    here is similar thing polypropylene sponsons 300 mm dia 6mm thick 150% flotation, large forefoot etc.
    Any idea where they come from?

There is also the kaptan boat collar. I am going to eventually try this on a tender to make it not scratch teh side of teh yacht as I am not a fan of inflatables as they row like crap

http://www.kaptenboatcollar.com/

Thers is this as well

Same as air filled one on sailtrack but is foam inner. We have this ( similar) on a club tender and it takes a beating on wharves as it has a really tough cover.

http://www.oceancraft.com.au/foamofloat2.htm

http://www.oceancraft.com.au/foamofloat2.htm