Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rod Building Weekend Round-Up

Rod Building Weekend Round-Up

I'll just get it started.

Good numbers have turned up and with Stuie McKenzie showing the way and Dave Boyle keeping us glued to the screens, day one went fast.

Special mention to Owen and Sandy for traveling down from Gladstone for this.

Greg and Sue have been great hosts and making sure we didn't starve or want for liquid refreshments.

There have been a few ' incidents ' along the way and I am sure there will be either pics/ videos or stories posted by others.

I'll let them do that and then tell the truth later

Cheers Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Re: Rod Building Weekend Round-Up

Excellent day today!!!! Loved every minute & it's always good to put faces to the names.

More of the same tomorrow.

See ya all there.

roz.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Thumbs up Re: Rod Building Weekend Round-Up

Wow - great day! I'd just like to say thanks for the invite and making me feel very welcome.

Roz - your scales wrap looks even better than I thought

For me the best thing was meeting everyone and seeing others work. The setup was great and I hope day 2 is just as good.

Cheers
    Dave

Thanks for coming along Dave, your input was much appreciated & you also managed to get some of those die hards to have a look see...not naming names ey Stu!!

There have already been expressions of interest, so I think there will be no avoiding an '08 RBW.

& thanks for the compliment Dave, although an 8 axis wrap would not have been possible without your viswrap software.... seriously!!!

Grahame has asked me to wrap that pattern (scales) onto his Loomis, so we must have done something right.

I wouldn't mind betting Jan is also plotting his next one... be great to see him up here for '08, sorry about putting the pressure on you Jan.

r.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Had a top day today and as usuall it is good to put some more names to faces.
    Was good to have Stuie doing the rounds and giving us some helpfull tips although i think there will be some fun and games tomorrow when all the binding starts.
    Dave
    That was a top presentation you did for us on the cross weaves and the programme you have will certainly take alot of guess work out of doing the weaves.

See you all there for day 2

Cheers Dazza

some pics..you can provide your own captions

a few more

Thanks To Greg and Sue for opening up their house to the rabble

I had a top day, was good to put names to the faces of some fellow ausfishers.

After the usual remarks about peoples butts, and other crude comments we were into day 1. By the way phill I have got a full 6 inches on you mate LOL maybe yours might grow a bit over nite but I hear its going to be a cold nite !!!!!! Hows the knee

Thanks To Stu for the how to do's and Roz for her personal help and loan of gear Also a big thanks to Dave for the advice on the wrap for my rod, most of which went over my head but I hope Roz and Phill paid attention I am going to need alot of help.

BRING ON TOMORROW.
    Last edited by Great White; 12-05-2007 at 09:46 PM.
    Peter :cool:

Had a great day at the rod building weekend today.

A big thanks to Stu,Phil,Ian,Dazza,Greg and Roz for all their guidance and advice to a virgin rod builder!!.

Wish i could be there again tomorrow but family commitments killed that idea(mothers day).

Once again thank guys.

Cheers
    Wazza

P.S Now......... If could only remember how to do those bindings Roz.

Thanks to Roz for organizing and to Stu for his tuition. Thanks also to Dave for your input which was way above me but has generated an interest into some further rod building for me later. Greg and Sue played the perfect hosts for which I would also like to show gratitude by saying a big thankyou. For the friendships made and the general warmth that was displayed I think all who attended should give themselves a pat on the back. Above all I have learned how to do a zig zag guide attachment.

Regards,

Poodroo

looks like a great weekend was had by all. I'd love to come to the next one Roz, although I don't know what help I could provide. Yes I'm way ahead of you as I have been doing an optical chevron while you were all away having fun so should be finished soon if I can get the shops rod repairs done as they are never ending. Glad to see that everyone learnt something which is the main thing.
    Cheers, Jan.

All done and dusted !

A huge thanks to Greg and Sue ( Mr and Mrs PinHead ) for the use of their house, BBQ, entertainment area and hospitality.

Cheers to Stuie for making the whole rod building thing look easy.

To Owen and Sandy, big effort on coming down from Gladstone. Thanks for the gifts as well as that Carrot Cake, Sandy

Scott, is there no end to your talents ? Lathes, Butts and binding

To Roz for not only getting the Rod Building Weekends up and running, but also for providing a forum for those of us that have always wanted to, but never could, build our own rod. Once again, your enthusiasum rubbed off and all who attended will have come away with a wider scope for their creative minds.

The whole weekend went well and I am sure many have learnt a lot, or had their interest rekindled.

There will be another next year with a focus on finishing the rods. Epoxy etc. Look forward to that one.

Pics attached are:-

Paul, Sandra, Scott ( enhancing my butt wrap ), Owen and Stuie ( he's the one with his arms in a tangle )
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 13-05-2007 at 07:05 PM.

And here we have The whole crew at work, Scotts, butts, Scotts Lathe and refreshments.

Cheers phill

what can i say, what a great weekend. thanks to greg and sue for everthing, coffee, your house bbq etc, to the crew thanks for the good time ,stuie,mate thanks again learnt a bit more [like on how to look like gumbie while wrapping] , roz for all the time you put into making it happen, phill for the humour, guidence.to owen and sandy have a safe trip home and hope to see you again cheers ian

WOW what a top weekend, Thanks again to Greg & Sue for the use of their home as always Greg & Sue you put on a top event and I am still scratching my head how $5 per person could have paid for the BBQ, lollies and cakes plus beer plus the hire of tressel tables. Well it couldn't - so thanks again Greg & Sue for the funding of the short fall!

A very big thanks to Roz who spent most of the day helping and convincing (her ethiopian sponsor child - me) how to successfully do a wrap. I learn't alot and am sorry that you didn't get to spend any time on your own rod, I really appreciate it!

Thanks to Stu for his tutorage, Phil for his ideas and advice and all of the Ausfishers who lent/sold me bits that I needed to undertake my project.

I know feel that I have the confidence to complete my soft plastics rod which will take pride of place in my fleet.

Finga - I have to get me one of those lathes!

Thanks
    Peter
    Peter :cool: