Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2.2kg Bream off the beach

Re: 2.2kg Bream off the beach

There was a 3kg plus bream caught at Elephant Rock at Currumbin a number of years back.

It made the Gold Coast Bulletin.

Anyone else remember that fish?

Regarding age, I remember reading that bream and snapper are known to be very slow growing species, and one article I read from a scientific type suggested bream of 40 cm might be between 10 and 15 years old. The only real way of knowing a fishes age is by examining the microscopic growth rings on its otiliths (ear bones).

On a side note, I asked a marine biologist a while back how old an 85 cm flattie I caught would be, and after all his waffle about the accurate ways to measure age, etc etc, he estimated it might be around 15 years old.
    searchin' for my lost shaker of salt

Quote Originally Posted by juju View Post
    I can remember some big bream down the pine river when i was a kid...havent seen one like that in years but...they dont get a chance to grow, how old would a fish of that size be????
    They reckon that those big bream of 40cm are between 20-25year old fish....
    So I choose to let the big ones go....they become pretty smart to as they get bigger.

Pete.

Have caught a few horse bream when fishing off the rocks for tailor.Not sure of weight or length but hefty fish.

years ago fishing of hells gate at noosa mate got one went 50 plus cm did not weigh it but recond it went over 2kg also mate got one from drassice lake that was the length of a xxxx carton but that was around 15 years ago.it was well over 2kg

that is one horse of a bream...... and on light gear you've got your work cut out fo sure

a few years back,,,, mrs choppa and i had a little hideaway in a place called Sussex Inlet in NSW,,,, great place and great fish'n

the father in law and i use to haunt the creek,,, and also outside grounds as the bar was only minutes away from the ramp

most of our catch in the river was bream,,,flatties and prawns,,, and because of the amount we caught,,,, most were released

MY BEST PB BREAM,,,, well no pics of the fish,,, but perhaps you can make out the inscription on the trophy,,,, dated 1991,,,, and i was runner up,,,, bream that beat me was 2.9kgs,,, with a 2.1kg partner,,, total weigh in was a smidgen more than mine

,,, have come close to beating it since,,, but always just a hair under

thats fish'n

choppa
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

My mate got 10 bream in a couple of hours all over 1kg here on the broadwater. The best he caught that day went 2.2kg's and 52 cm's. He calls them baby snapper. All land based too. caught on pilchard a 3/0 hooks i recon bit big for bream fishing but you couldnt tell him that. That was 2 seasons ago now. Last season was not the best hopefully this season will be better.

may last year at the gold coast fishing for tailor caught a pb 42cm bream! and weighed 1.2 kg cleaned. here is pic! as you can see it took up the whole lid of my esky!

Last edited by shano; 12-05-2007 at 10:38 PM.

Has anybody seen big Bream with a snapper like knob on their head? I was fishing out the back near Seagulls in the Tweed river last night and got this 42cm model. When I got it onboard I looked at it and said to my mate that looks like a F#$king snapper. It was dark but when I got back to the ramp I had a look in the light and it looked more like a bream. Plus people would think I was mad saying I caught a Snapper out where we were fishing.

Has anyone came across this rare knobbed bream phenomenon???

one of my hombres got a breambo 52 fork length of scarby reef, know idea what it weighed.

bloody hell some great looking bream pics in there,well done guys
    If i could get paid the same to fish, sorry boss but i ......!

yer iv cort a knobbledy headed bream off the rocks before, i rekon its a birth defect or such... i catch all the nice 35-45cm yellowfin off the rocks on whole crabs, seems like theres no big mummas in the estuaries anymore
    It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.

2 years ago (June/July) at Mudjimba (SC AIRPORT) we were catching thumpers off the beach, to the extent where we were just keeping 2 or so and releasing the rest. These were BIG bream that put up a real fight . We used fresh chicken fillets. Did no good last year, but they will be back... They were twice the size of the bream we were catching in the Pumicestone Passage at the same time of year.

Cmon boys....Someone out there must have a photo of a 2kg bream!
    The biggest I have seen so far was from the surf_sniper who had a 1.8kg off the beach.....It was a monster.
    The ones I have got at around that 42cm mark have only been around 1.4kg.....Still quite short of the 2kg.

Pete