View Poll Results: Trolled caught Fish count?

Voters
178. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes..

168 94.38%
  • no..

10 5.62%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does it count?

Talking Does it count?

I thought it would open this up to the good people on ausfish about a friend who believes catching fish while trolling lures behind a boat means nothing.. even if it is a 1st, PB or Fish of a life time!! He thinks it as bad as using a net

So i would love to hear what you guys think of this idea cause i think it's more Jealousy on his behalf cause he is unable to land any decent fish..

Re: Does it count?

Mate, when bait fishing, I can guarantee a feed of something, even if it's only vermin. I've even caught on placcies I've trolled 3 times now and haven't landed a fish, although I've had a couple of hook ups. IMHO, trolling is one of the finer arts of fishing.................perhaps it's sour grapes 'cause he can't afford such an expensive pastime

kev

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

Wellaty wellay wellaty. Started a thread have we Simon . I think trolling is acceptable in some situations. They include, trolling for pelagics miles offshore and maybe kayaking.

Though I think it requires next to no skill if you're trolling the estuaries. The only effort it takes is to be able to feed line out the back of a boat, so you don't even have to know how to cast (Take Simon for example). Maybe change your lure to a deeper/shallower diver, and look on the sounder and hope .

ABT and many other major comps even back it up by banning any form of trolling .

he is unable to land any decent fish..
    This coming from the person who can't catch a Jack .

Troy

All fish count. I dislike the idea that a fish caught casting is somehow more meritorious than one trolled or caught on bait. It all depends what you like to do. If trolling is your game then go for it. I'm sure some of the big game boys would set your friend straight.
    Last edited by Horse; 10-05-2007 at 09:06 PM.
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

I am his friend .

Troy

Troy

I think you might be being a bit myopic with your views on fishing

Cheers

Neil
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Only on trolling in estuaries .

Troy

Troy

I certainly respect your preferance for casting but a lot of us tend to use the techniques that are most applicable for the conditions. I will troll, cast, live bait etc.
    If it is ethical, legal and I enjoy it then I will use the technique. I think we can become very precious about our preferred styles.
    During the seventies and most of the eighties I felt that anything not caught on lures was a waste of a resource that should have been kept for the "enlightened " fisho's. Now I just relax and enjoy catching a few fish and will use my full repoirtre of techniques if needed.
    Each to his own

Neil
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Ahaaaa! We're talking about trolling in estuaries? Now why wasn't that made clear? A whole new ball game in relation to blue water trolling. Then again, try trolling the Pine after a big wet. If you can catch anything other than water hyacinth then you're a genius

kev

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

I did have a long post to make only for IE7 (Internet Explorer 7) bugger up yet again

Voted yes it does count ! Wether you spend the hours trolling or soaking baits in differnet spots they all count !

Troy's just jealous

a fish counts if it brought under control to the boat or land and then netted, gaffed, tagged, released or what ever but it cant be count if it got off while trying to gain that control. I count them speared, on fly, by lure, trolled , by bait etc
    even counted a gaffed free swimming gummy shark cause if I hadnt and the fisheries had check my catch they would have done.
    cheers
    blaze
    ps
    even trolling in an estuary and catching a target species, even if that target species is fish

Trolling does count. Whether it be selecting the right colour of lure, the right depth of lure, the right size lure, the right lure type, the right depth of water, the right speed to troll, the right time of day, the right time of the tide, whether you leave the rod in the holder or hold onto it, whether you impart any extra action to the lure. On some days it might not matter but other days get any one of the above wrong can make the difference between catching a fish or going home with an empty esky. To me a person who only uses the one style of fishing exclusivlely
    is probably missing out on the full fishing experience.

Jeff.
    Quality is still delivering long after you have forgotten the price.

Trolling definitely counts BUT the pleasure of casting and getting hit is far more fun. Sometime trolling can taking the sting out of the fight especially with bass.
    Not enough time in the day, to many spots to fish!

So far I've found trolling to be as boring as bat droppings. But if you boat a fish, yes it counts. A bit more if you get to eat it.

Troy, what's wrong with you mate? No skill in trolling?

All fish count, albeit trolled, live baited or whatever.

Troy, there's more skill involved in trolling to avoid snags, trolling drop offs, current lines, eddies etc than there is in drifting with a dead bait out the back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A good estuary troller doesn't just stick his rod in the holder, he works his lure to impart more action and to steer his lure around snags, pylons, moorings etc.

Bloody oath a trolled fish counts!

Cheers, Jeff.
    Last edited by ffejsmada; 11-05-2007 at 06:09 PM.