View Poll Results: Trolled caught Fish count?

Voters
178. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes..

168 94.38%
  • no..

10 5.62%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does it count?

Re: Does it count?

I think the purists should realy get a grip,we even have magazine articles now refering to trolling as 'the T thing' and advocating that it is a some what substandard means of catching fish.Why would anyone want to discount a style of fishing that may be the only productive method on the day?
    Late last year I ventured to Awoonga with two other blokes,some weeks before we left one of them made the statement that no one would be trolling while he was in the boat even if others were geting them on the troll,the other bloke agreed.Now for the life of me I can not see the sense in driving 700 k's to target a fish that is not available to you localy and jeopardise your chances over some crap ideological notion that you have been programed to believe by some tall poppy.If the art of casting is what drives some then maybe they should purchase a tweed jacket and join the fly purists....they should fit in very nicely.
    Last edited by banshee; 11-05-2007 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Troy

I certainly respect your preferance for casting but a lot of us tend to use the techniques that are most applicable for the conditions. I will troll, cast, live bait etc.
    If it is ethical, legal and I enjoy it then I will use the technique. I think we can become very precious about our preferred styles.

Now I just relax and enjoy catching a few fish and will use my full repoirtre of techniques if needed.
    Each to his own

Neil

Well put Neil, and I totally agree. T'is a bit silly really , this poll.

Chris

Silly question really but I guess it was done to generate a response and I'm stupid enough to respond. Of course it counts.

For sake of argument, lets go further than trolling. Lets eliminate impoundment fishing as the fish are land locked and too easy to catch, how about all forms of bait fishing and while we are at it just say that only non-land locked fly fishing is allowed to be counted towards your tally. This would eliminate all of Troy's fish caught by using casting.

Raymond

Watch that new DVD that has just come out....'The Fishing DVD no 7'
    and listen to what the guide says up North.
    There is alot of skill in trolling....Using your sounder to find structure,seeing what depth the fish are at,selecting the right lure to get down to the right depth and making trolling patterns around the structure you find.
    There is skill involved and YES trolled fish DO count.

Cheers
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by blue_mako View Post

Though I think it requires next to no skill if you're trolling .

Troy

This is a pretty selective quote i know but there is an awesome amount of skill in trolling properly( inshore ,off shore, esturarys,impoundments) it doesn't matter. Selecting the right gear,lure colour ,depth, using a downrigger properly,speed of troll, and area to troll. If you think it's just a case of putting a lure out the back and hoping your very very mistaken.

Ian
    Last edited by finding_time; 11-05-2007 at 08:06 PM.

I did a trip with Brad Smith on the broadwater a few years ago and he almost exclusivley trolled lures that day and we caught a lot of fish. Brad knows the broadwater well and would nominate the species would were likely to catch in the various areas and he was invariably right. We caught quite a few species including flathead, bream, whiting, trevally & pike and it was one of the best days fishing I ever had.

I'm with Jeff.

You can just chuck lures or you can cast tem

You can just tow lures or you can troll them.

It's all part of fishing.

Luc

They all count in my books. There are some exeptions when me and my mates are competing. 1 Anything caught in a net must be realeased and doesnt count...... Im always getting nice flatties in the net. 2 Vermin NEVER count and I dont care that you can eat catfish, eels, and Rays are vermin. And 3 we only count legal fish.

Trolling hasn't done well for me inside but if i did it would definitely count.

Cheers Chris

With all Estuary fishing I prefer flicking Lures around, but when that fails and I've had enough (after a good few hours) I Troll, and have caught some nice fish and been as happy as a pig in sh!t.

If the competition your in doesn't allow a certain way of fishing and you don't like it, don't go in the competition.
    Rob

If you haven't made your rod from a tree branch, woven the line from stringy bark and then made a lure from leaves and feathers on a hook you carved out from shell then it just doesn't count, cause it's just too easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    <snip>

2 Vermin NEVER count and I dont care that you can eat catfish, eels, and Rays are vermin.
    Why is that????

If you were to say that you fish for sport then why would vermin be discounted?

Is it because it isn't a targeted fish?

Could it not be argued that there is an element of skill and sport in targeting say, large shovelnose or rays?

Can anyone who has caught a large shovelly deny that they take some getting to the boat.........more so than a big cod which in my experience come in like lead balloons compared to say a shovelly or manta?

If you were to put to sea with the intention of catching one, and couldn't, yet your mate could, couldn't it be argued that he was the "better man on the day"?

I, of course, do not have a vested interest in putting forth these arguments

The Verminator

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

To say trolling doesn't count is stupid some types of fish respond better to this technique e.g wahoo and marlin i agree that hooking these fish on a short leash casting is more enjoyable but if you want consistant catches and don't want to come home fishless i'd advise you to put a lure out the back and enjoy trolling for what it is another great way of catching a wide variety of fish.

There are forms of trolling that are boring and monotonous such as trolling dead flat featureless water for minimal results but jump aboard a guys boat who knows what he's doing that trolls around good stucture and bait and you will get very good results that will get you trophy sized fish regularly and if you don't find that enjoyable good more fish for me, i'll take a dozen good fish trolling to your one casting anyday.

Cheers samson
    Last edited by samson; 12-05-2007 at 12:20 PM.

trolling is definately an art worth your learning it's not just driving around with lures out the back.it's putting selected lures in an exact spot and requires skill,it seems pretty easy sometimes when the driver of the boat has the necessary skill level and you are a passenger but swap drivers and it's snagged lures and no fish.

Trolling involves a lot of calculation to a degree. If trolling placcies for example you need to select the right jighead weight, placcie, leader and line class depending on what is being targeted. It isn't a matter of plonking just anything on a line and letting it drag behind the boat. Once a fish is on the hook you still have to land it so there are a few things to consider but I think all fish count.

Poodroo

the scores are in troy you lose this one
    trolloing is part of fishing and the fish count no matter where you do it
    i have seen blokes walking along trolling lures in irrigation drains 1m wide for barra and i have to say those fish are that big they have to count

thats my 2 cents worth
    cheers