Thread: choosing 4x4

choosing 4x4

After any advice on which way to go for new car for driving to work/towing boat. My boat motor traileris 500kg approx.After something to use on local ramps and beach launching on hard packed sand.some highway hauls 1 or 2hrs. toying with new suzuki jimmy,small wagon 4x4,4x4 dual cab 2nd hand budget is 25k approx,how important is dual range for my application as most of the small wagons don't have high and low any feedback appreciated yamp

Re: choosing 4x4

low range will always be a bonus when retrieving your boat and so much easier on the clutch, maybe one of the dual cab type 4x4's, they cover a lot of basic needs.
    cheers
    blaze

G'day

I picked up a '01 turbo diesel rodeo 4x4 late last year for 16k.

Excellent truck, doe the sand work easy and would be a good thing for yourself. Fuel consumption. is better than 10L/100km.

Food for thought.

Dave

M8 if you wish to do beach work avoid at all costs anything that dont have a low range ,if it dosnt have low then the vehicle is an all wheel drive and not a 4 wheel drive there is a big difference they will still go on the beach but the first sign of trouble they will bury themselves ie rav 4 and the honda crv ,both very good cars but not 4x4s.Imo they are being falsely addvertised here in Aust,they are desisned with the europeen market where an all wheel drive is much safer in icy conditions they bring them over here and then show adds where the vehicle is doing things its not sussposed to.stick with a hilux you wont be dissapointed
    THOUGHT OF THE DAY

Live life like a dog,If you cant eat it or hump it ,
    pee on it and walk away.

G'day

Have a look here in the for sale section... wags has a rodeo for sale. It's a fantastic truck, very clean. Well worth a look.

Dave

Ausfish Platinum Member gruntahunta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

wta ever u do....get a 4wd and a toyota
    ...3 litree turbo diesel

Then again, some 4wd's are not 4wd, they don't have LSD's as standard and therefore are really 2wd, given they have low range.

I suppose you could count the 2 road wheels, steering wheel and fly wheel, that makes 4.

Yamb, always good to have the budget. dual cab gives you options of family and a tray at the back. Plenty of options there,,,,,,, even Nissan make them

Cheers Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

thanks for advice,Im now swaying toward 4x4 dual cab,holden diesel 2.8 or 3l is there much difference in the two, cabin space engine performace etc,also thought about hilux diesel 3l non turbo,how does it compare to holden turbo diesel,as I not sure if budget allows for turbo diesel hilux,not really considering other makes yet as I have read that back seats on nissans and mitsubitsus are very cramped.the other consideration is the petrol or diesel point I have read holden rodeo petrol is really thirsty don't know on other brands,any advice on this to help narrow search down would be great thanks Yamp

G'day

I can tell you one thing... once you go to a turbo diesel, you never can work out why you were driving a naturally aspirated diesel for so long.

I have been towing a 17' glass boat, an old heavy steber runabout with no worries at all.

Dave

Dave is right on the money. Once you have driven a turbo diesel you will never go back. Pulling power and economy.

My Jackaroo 3.0 turbo diesel SE is far better than the 3.0 litre petrol Pajero ever was.
    The 99 model set me back 23,000 some two years ago.
    Hope this helps

Chris

i picked up a hilux with 3L turbo diesel and more accessories than you could poke a stick at for $25000 with 90000klms Ilove it its great on the beach and in the bush

hey Lucky phill if it has lsd it is at best 3wd what you really need are lockers then you have 4wd ,also if preload in lsd is worn they can be a lot closer to 2wd than you might think. cheers

got a rodeo 3.5 v6 at work the only thing it wont overtake is a petrol station
    ive got a 3l td rodeo work vechile loaded wieght 3 t goes ok uses about 12/13l /100 day in day out do heaps of towng on top

get a good rig for around 20 anything from landcruiser down
    deffinatly make sure it has dual range
    all the best

thanks for all the feedback going start tracking down good diesel turbo dual cab