Thread: 124kg Marlin

124kg Marlin

Just read todays northern star to my disbelief about a guy at Evans head who speared and killed a 124kg Marlin!!
    Just my opinion but what the f%$#k!It took Him three shots from three different spear guns, about 10 mins and towed him 2ks. Just what we need. Nothing but bad flack will come of this i feel.

Jewie

Re: 124kg Marlin

Lay off the guy, its the same concept as keeping a marlin thats been caught off the rocks.
    It doesnt happen on a regular basis and in all honesty, will most likely not be wasted.
    Can you find a link to it?
    Matt

lol, that would be a wild ride. That man must either be a little on the blunt side or have massive balls

Not meaning to directly target the guy, as he said it is a once in a life time achievment, one of every serious spearfisherperson. The article in the northern star gave a pretty graphic decription of what went on. " a third spear gun handed to him by his mates in his boat provided the kill shot" "with the fishs spinal cord severed, jeff pushed his gloved hand into the gill flap and hauled his trophy to the surface".
    There will be some people out there that will have a field day with articles like this. It is on page foru of todays Northern Star on the northern rivers, with a nice shot if it on the scales.
    None of the fish has gone to waste, the filletts filled a 90litre esky!!
    Just wish the media wouldnt give such a graphic account and give any ammo to fuel the all fisherpersons are bad and fish to kill type stuff.
    Mind you it would have been an amazing thing to watch and what a complete maniac, i would be scared shitless to be in the water face toface never known shoot the bloody thing.
    Jewie

Not what I look for when I go spearfishing, but hey, each to their own.
    Surely one to remember for the guy!
    Not the first marlin to be taken by bluewater hunters, won't be the last either.
    These guys are pretty (well very IMO) hardcore, often drifting for k's, many k's offshore, sharks don't worry them that much!
    As Mattooty says, no different from taking a marlin by any other means, I'd wager far fewer marlin are taken on the spear than by line fishers.
    Higher degree of difficulty too, I'd imagine!
    Cheers!

I suppose its just like there are hardcore anglers who target 1000lb black marlin, a fish like that is probably the biggest fish that would be manageable with a spear.
    It sends shivers down my spine when i think of being out there with a fish that sizepouring out blood.
    I understand where you're coming from now jewienewie, at first i thought this was going to be another "OH no he killed a marlin lets hang him for it" thread.
    Matt

2 marlin were speares in jervis bay in january one was 70 odd kilo free speared and the other was 100+, the diver saw it flapping around gut hooke and dying and just speared him

With blood spilling from this beast I just had visions of this guy being 'trolled' around like a live bait. lol. I suppose if you play with fire long enough you will get burned. He's a madman i tells ya.

Matt

You gotta take your hat off to those bluewater freediving spearos, they've got heaps of guts!!!!!! The percentage of Marlin killed by spear wouldn't even register, it doesn't faze me one bit, if you're crazy and good enough to get one on spear, go for it!!!!!
    The guys a legend!!!

Quote Originally Posted by biosbro View Post
    With blood spilling from this beast I just had visions of this guy being 'trolled' around like a live bait. lol. I suppose if you play with fire long enough you will get burned. He's a madman i tells ya.

Matt
    Yeah, it's a bit like trolling for sharks except the marlin is not the bait.
    When I saw the piece in the Northern Star I imagined the amount of flack it would create. But each to their own. Check out the amount of spear fisho's hitting the walls and headlands around Ballina each spring. I used to do it once but my fear of becoming the hunted stopped me many years back. cheers.

hopefully it'll leave people's minds before they decide to condemn all fishos. either way he was lucky ole mate tiger or white wasnt around!!!

cuzza