Thread: Cleaning Engine Bay

Cleaning Engine Bay

Hey guys

just got back from a 5 day trip to Moreton, good 4wding and great fishing. I have brought half of Moreton Island back in my engine bay and i was wondering what was the best way to clean. I have a 93 Pathfinder V6 so obviously i dont particularly want to be hosing somewhere i shouldnt.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Re: Cleaning Engine Bay

Cant tell you if there are any specific areas you should stay away from with that engine.
    But If you are using a gerni stay away from electrical plugs and gizmos.
    If you are using a hose you should be right. I try and blow the engine with compressed air after the bath. if you don't have a compressor take it for a drive get it hot and double check all the water is gone.(especially around the valley intake manifold)
    this is only my opinions

hope this helps
    sorry it took so long to Post he thread i forgot to get back to your question'

neil

i also forgot ensure the engine is cold

picollo i took your concern to the head of the PD dept today to see if it does warrant concern,,,

a 2 part query,,, due to the point that all the guys utilise high pressure guernies when detailing cars,,, both outer and under body,,,, but more closer to home is because so do i,,,,

with the current restrictions in place within brissie,,, all the guys know where to find me on a saturday morn at work,,,, in the washbay

and believe me,,, the truck gets a very good clean,,,, all with the guernie

mines a 2003 toyota hilux sr5,,,, and yes its has a lot of electronics under the bonet,,,, but they all get a good dose of degreaser,,,, and a good blast to clean,,, followed up with a little shine spray to make it look okay prior to the trek back home,,,,

all my trucks have suffered the same fate each wash day

i'm not saying our safe in doing so,,,, but i would be surprised in this day and age if there was any chance of a 4b suffering terminal damage with a good wash down of fresh,,, otherwise why buy it

check out the local dealerships WORKSHOP,,, ASK A MECHANIC,,, and you'll get a bottom end response,,, from the guys /gals who work on them,,, and what i mean here is don't ring them,,, drive your rig in,,, and pop the bonnet,,,

you may be surprised on what you pick up with a bit of background knowledge

choppa
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

You should be pretty right even with a gernie. Modern petrol engines are almost as sealed as a diesel engine. Have seen them with water over the bonnet (with snorkel fitted) and experiencing no problems, great site when you see it through the windscreen!!!

Brett

May 2006 Order New Hilux - June 2006 Order ARB & Other Goodies - August 2006 Organise fitting of ARB & Other Goodies - 2nd September 2006 Delivery of New Hilux with Goodies - 2nd September 2006 Break Goodies - 3rd September 2006 Use Angle Grinder to Modify New Goodies - 4th July 2007 BEND ARB rear protection bar (Big Rocks) - 31st July 2007 Notice cracked welds in the ute tub. TWIST!! - September 2007 Bend Alloy Side Steps - Feb 2008 Install steel side steps - March 2008 Bend Steel steps & Punture Diff Lock Air Line

Thanks for the effort and replies guys. I took the info on board. I stuck a sprinkler under my car on the grass (i would have been killed of i did this in Brisbane) for a while which in turn got rid of most of the sand in the engine bay. I just used a brush and used the hose sparingly to get rid of the rest of the sand. No opportunity to obtain a gurney.

Thanks again