Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: shimano vs daiwa

Re: shimano vs daiwa

Big Kings have moved into Sydney Harbour this year like never before .It's really showed up the weakness in reels like Big 6500 Baitrunners and Stradics etc .It's cost me heaps but now I own a 4000 Diawa Certate HD ,and a Saltiga EXP 6500 wish I had had them at the start of this year ......I've lost so many massive Kings.Now I have a fighting chance.

As far as shimano goes the old triton game reels seem to be the only reels that can handle a bit of punishment in the shimano range the rest are rubbish i've owned most at one time or another and blown the guts out of every single one.

If i had to choose i'd lean towards dawai which i use a fair bit as they only implode twice a year instead of four times a year like that shimano rubbish but if you want something that can handle aussie fish and weather a bit longer i'd advise you look at accurate reels they seem very good so far but the only reel that lasts the test of time is the good old alvey you can run them over with car and they still don't miss a beat although there about as user frendly as a lion with rabies running around seaworld.

Unhappy Re: shimano vs daiwa

Kingfisher, what crap are you spinning ?, you are comparing general fishing shimano $200 and $250 reels against top end Daiwa Certate $650 and Saltiga EXP$1250 reels, you should be comparing between Stella 4000 [$740] and a Stella 20000 [$980].
    It wouldn't have cost you heaps if you had used the top end Daiwa or Shimano reels in the first place.

shimano shimano shimano. daiwa doesnt even get close for mine. isnt daiwa abit of a cheaper alternative? with shimano u get wat u pay for... only the best

well like i said i used to be a shimano man but have gone to daiwa because of the fetures.
    eg digi gear, cross wrap and a few other fetures.
    i have also found them to be alot smoother and longer lasting smoothness then shimano.
    i hardy ever get any tangles using daiwa reels than wat i had with my stradics.
    i think they also have a better drag system in them from fighting a few jacks.
    also about a mate of mine who fishes for snapper has a cerate 2500 and he went fishing with a guy who had a sustain 4000 and the drag on the sustain could not go tight enough to handle the 7kg snapper they were hooking.
    i have converted a few mates into daiwa reels after having aspires and stella's.
    all i can say to all you shimao users is
    buy a daiwa for your next reel. you will like what you feel!

Quote Originally Posted by GPB View Post
    Kingfisher, what crap are you spinning ?, you are comparing general fishing shimano $200 and $250 reels against top end Daiwa Certate $650 and Saltiga EXP$1250 reels, you should be comparing between Stella 4000 [$740] and a Stella 20000 [$980].
    It wouldn't have cost you heaps if you had used the top end Daiwa or Shimano reels in the first place.
    ummmmmmmm,,, well i'm speechless here,,,

couldn't have placed it better,,,

its like going fish'n for whiting and saying my tld has never missed a beat

but seriously,,, as posted above,,, this thread can run for ages,,, its all about affordability,,, and maintenance,,, just like cars/dishwashers/tv's/wives,,

you keep and maintain what you can afford

i'm off to visit paris,,, poor darl'n

choppa
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

Exclamation Re: shimano vs daiwa

My mate that fishers with me [so I know 1st hand] jigs up 12kg Ambos on his lite jig rig Sustain 6000 using 6kg of drag.
    I have a Daiwa Emblem Pro 5500 which I am happy with, and have happily owned a few Daiwas over 40 years of fishing, but my preference these days is Shimano of which I have many, from Tiagra's, TLD's, TSS4's, Stella's, Twinpowers and many more, but I could not compare a Twinpower or Sustain with a Certate as they are in different classes [Certate twice the price], as are Stellas and Aspires.
    So you Daiwa fans be happy with what you've got but compare apples with apples.

Thumbs up Re: shimano vs daiwa

Choppa, was that 'visit' Paris [Hilton] in jail.

Quote Originally Posted by GPB View Post
    Choppa, was that 'visit' Paris [Hilton] in jail.
    after all these years,,,,someone has grasped one of the hidden messages

whats the bet they'll make another reality show outta it

lol

choppa
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

I've had a fair bit of experience with both,Mainly in the small baitcasting type reels.Both low profile and the barrel styles.

I've found that if (Maintained and used within their recommended limits),They all last well,And will perform consistantly.

I too reckon if ya gonna compare reels,They should be of roughly the same specs eg :- Cronarch to the Alphas...Steez to the Calais DC...And the Conquest to the Daiwas' CVZ series.Etc,etc.

A place you might like to visit is www.tackletour.com They have regular shootouts between reels of similar ratings among other things.I think you'll find some of the answers ya looking for here.

I choose my reels on engineering/Internal design...Performance over aesthetics.

I cannot place enough emphasis on maintainance though.Look after ya tackle,And it'll look after you...No matter which manufacturer you choose.

I personally fish Daiwa.
    The underlying spirit of angling,Is that the skill of the angler,Is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish,And that the latter is entitled to an even chance for his life. Regards, Hardb8.Kickin tails and razin scales since 1979.

i gotta go shimano tld series my 20 went in the drink attatched to my 7' live fibre off the tangalooma jetty.
    i gave it up for dead was retrived 3 weeks latter, got put into a bucket of fresh water for 3 days scraped the barnacles off changed line and used it .
    still going to this day without another service .
    been upgraded but is still the loaner rod for thoes that come out without one.
    i dont know of ne others that have ever done that, none of mine ne way
    phil

Top ender.
    Go to the Daiwa site and have a look at the Zillion, way better than any chronarch....
    Marty.

well if you want to compair reels then.
    who would rather a certate over a aspire? i would!
    or a luvias over a twin power.
    i love my daiwa spin reels but like i said i would still go a shimano tld or baitrunner or tss4 for there price.
    lets face it both brands are top reels and they both have there advantages.
    myself i keep both brands but i really do love my daiwa!

marty+mojo
    do u own a zillion? i dont hink u can compare reels unless u have used them both . i dont care what anyone ses but thats the only way u can truly compare instead of going of what other people say or what magazines say.

cherrs

Had no experience with shimano reels but am very impressed with the performance of my Daiwa Emcast 4000, Fuego 3000 and Luguna 2000. All great spinning reels.
    Ryno
    En el amor y la guerra, todo hueco es trinchera.