Thread: Bass Flies NEED URGENT HELP

Bass Flies NEED URGENT HELP

hey was wondering what flies are good for bass, thinking about fishing north pine on saturday and i would like to try my new reel out, ive got an 8wt st croix, with 2 spools of floating and sinking line. seeing as im in a hurry to try and get them for saturday, any location of where i can get them would help heaps. i live northside/shorncliffe

p.s. only after a couple dont know enough to get heaps yet and wont change them that regulary

thanks ben

Re: Bass Flies NEED URGENT HELP

My prference is for small deer hair bugs tied in the shape of o popper with a "cupped face" usually i include marabou tail and rubber legs colours don't seem important to the fish but it is a good idea to atleast have some lighter hair up front so the fly is visible to you. i use mustad stinger hooks. Dahlbergs and gurglers are also good. in fact i find bass are one fish where fly choice is up to you as the fish don't seem that fussy. For sub surface clousers work fine as do vampires etc
    good luck
    richard

im not here
    Last edited by nuggstar; 04-05-2007 at 06:29 AM.
    figjam :wink:

Go and see Gordon or Trevor at Tackleworld Sandgate - they're just down the road from you and both are very experienced when it comes to bass on the long wand.

Matuka

yeh i was in there last week and had a chat to him about it, hes a mad keen flyo. but he also runs a business and said that he cant stock fly gear coz no one buys it (i know i would if he had it). but still will pop in for a sec sometime soon again, any excuse to buy something!

Gday Ben my mate Duncan at Fishhead at Redland bay would be very keen to help you with your fly selection.

Talking Re: Bass Flies NEED URGENT HELP

If your looking for good advice from a guy who is a cracker with fly, make a beeline to fishhead. Duncan has helped me heaps with my flyfishing, and what he doesn't know or carry in the shop would not be worth having anyway.
    Word of warning. You can catch bass on bait, hardbodys,plastics ect, but when you come up tight on the long wand it will be more than the bass thats hooked.

Bassbuster

cheers guys thanks for the info i might have to get down there sometime soon!

Try Roger at TackleWorld Carseldine if your Nth side, he also is a very good fly fisho, and has flies to choose from. For NthPine I'd probaly go for a sinking line, white/grey clousers or something similar to a Bony Bream.

thanks for the tip tip nog, lucky my gf lives there so ive got an excuse now to get away from her when im bored!