Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Regular running on muffs

Re: Regular running on muffs

Nothing wrong with bulb squeezing and keeping the gasketts in the carby and the fuel pump wet.
    It helps prevent crud drying out and blocking needle and seat.
    But worse blocking your main jet on one off the carbs, that's gunna hurt your pocket when she leans out and blows a hole in your piston.

Keep doing it I do, if I haven't used the boat in months I drain the fuel bowls in each of the carby's, and prime the bulb to flush any gunk out.

Rag,

I haven't checked the parts lookup but it wont be crankcase injection. Merc use either an oil mixing or non mixing pump. So its either fuel and oil mixed inside the fuel pump, OR... oil pumped into the intake side of the fuel pump (into the fuel line).

Yammy's do crankcase injection.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Roughasguts View Post
    Yup I like to see me engine smoke on start up, and the oil level drop in the oil bottle when I get back.

I have dreams too, but there more like woman i n white bikinis, swimming towards my boat shedding there ............... and towing a carton of beer in a esky.

Sounds like a visit from TOL's breaker Girls
    Peter :cool:

Quote Originally Posted by BM View Post
    Rag,

I haven't checked the parts lookup but it wont be crankcase injection. Merc use either an oil mixing or non mixing pump. So its either fuel and oil mixed inside the fuel pump, OR... oil pumped into the intake side of the fuel pump (into the fuel line).

Yammy's do crankcase injection.

Cheers
    Thanks for the update BM, me old 1995 Suzuki is crank injected with the oil.
    Seems a pretty good oiler so far.

Mind you they have about 4 differant systems going with there VRO at around that time. Seemed pot luck as to which one you got.

The only real Suzi system I am familiar with is essentially the same type oil pump as the Yammy's (not surprising given country of origin of both engines).

Suzi have consistently produced good engines over the years but they have had some metalurgy problems with the engine blocks and the gearcases and an on again-off again approach to dealing with Australia has done them no favours. Same goes for the spare parts backup. Nowhere near as good as BRP or Merc or Yammy.

Cheers

Have to agree all my spare parts I ordered arrived 3 days later all made in Canada, by Siera.

Don't like the idea of me crank either, it's multi piece construction pressed together, nasty.

And some have twisted.

No corrosion yet thank fully, but with only a couple of hundred hours on her well flushed and washed, you would hope so.

Yep... Genuine Suzi parts are 1-4 weeks to get hold of. I think even the new Suzis are still slow on the spare parts.......

BIG negative sales point in my book. Your on holidays and you need a part. Overnight delivery for your BRP or Yam or Merc etc and you are enjoying your hols again but whoops.... 2 weeks for your Suzi parts and holiday's over....

hmmmm....

I love the smell of a 2 stroke i the air and bait on the fingers..............ya gotta love it

Well this certianly started some good debate points. The motor is a basic Mariner ELTPO which is a Merc with a silver cover. I spent a few years on iboats.com where I picked up most of my OB do's and dont's for my old Blueband 50 and they are pretty cluey dudes, those Septics. Anyway.. The moral to the story is you really need to use your boat at least once a month and keep the fuel fresh and add a bit of stabiliser (Petrolpower is good) now and then. Otherwise, it's not worth owning one. The injection system is oil pump/tank fed to the carbs. The event (not really a problem) was caused by short 5 minute runs which most likely added too much oil to the bowls and oiled up the plugs. Thw solution is simply .. take it to the ramp and blow the oil out until it runs smoothly. (This is very hard to do where we are currently living as the noise/water/smoke makes people nervous.)
    Last edited by KGW3; 03-05-2007 at 07:30 AM.

I start my 94 115 yammy V4 2 stroke every month when im not using it. I normally use muffs, but just bought a Flushbag. I run it for 10 mins approx. The Yammy's dont smoke much. Very little smoke - they are 200:1 at idle, whereas even my 2000 model 60 merc was only 100:1 at idle - it smoked more on the muffs. The Yammys are indeed reed valve oil injected - its one VRO that you would be crazy to disconect. They go like the energerizer bunny.

I have never had a problem with doing this. I think that you cant beat keeping the seals and lines juiced up - drying out is a problem. You also tend to stir up the start of corrosion and flush crap out of the water galleys.

The only problem I have is that the fuel gets a bit old and after a couple of seasons of infrequent use combined with some old fuel from time to time (i try not to - if the fuel is a few months old I will mix Optimax with it to up the overall octane rating back up a little) she gets some crap in the float bowles that need cleaning out, otherwise you notice that bringing her back to idle after a good run she dies - but re-starts no probs. I get clean the bowles about every 15 months now and its good to go.

Love a 2 stroke.

Important note:

Adding fresh high octane to old fuel will slightly increase the octane rating overall of the degraded fuel but it does not remove or counteract the harmful bi-products produced by the breaking down of the pertrol. Its these chemical oxides that are harmful to the engine (as well as low octane fuel). Mercury classify fuel as beginning to degrade within 14 days and too degraded to use after 2 months. Fuel of this age should be discarded (or pop it in your car or lawnmower).

While I'm at it is important to use a good quality 2 stroke oil in your 2 stroke outboard. Leave the service station stuff on the shelf and buy an outboard manufacturers oil only. Mercury claim their Quicksilver oil contains twice the additive package of any other brand. Regardless of that, Merc, Yammy, BRP etc oils are all very good.

TCW-3 is simply a benchmark specification. So as Sal used to say "Oils aint oils" and thats very true. Outboard brand oils meet and well and truly exceed the TCW3 spec.

If you put good oil and good fuel in you can expect peak and reliable performance. Put sh!t in, get sh!t out....

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by SgBFish View Post
    KGW3

Ladies and Gentlemen I have a dream.

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: 'We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all outboards shall be 4-strokes.'
    "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be subjected to the smell of burnt 2-stroke oil but by the beautiful pur of a 4-stroke.
    "I have a dream that one day on the pristine waters of Moreton bay all boaties will be able to sit down together in 4-stroke brotherhood."

(Modification of the a great man’s speech)
    damn..if that is your dream methinks you need some other ideas for a dream.

I agree mate that there is some acidic stuff left from the breakdown of the fuel over time - it becomes stale. I use Quicksilver (Merc) oil for their optimax - very expensive but very good from what I am told. Upping the octane will help to stop pinging however in old fuel. I doubt many people throw away fuel - its just too bloody expensive. I wouldnt put old fuel from my boat into my car either. I wouldnt put it into my Husky chainsaw for example because it runs at exremely high revs and similar considerations apply here, as to the outboard. I am not aware of commercial product that you can add to freshen fuel, and if anyone does please post it!!!

cHEERS

Have to agree on the stale fuel stuff.

I stick a garden hose through the bottom bung, run that up to the outlet of the fuel water seperator, whack a clear 10 mm inside the hose and stick the clear end bit on the filter. It seals okay find me jerry can and stick me gob on the end of the hose and down she pours, nice and fast if the hose don't have to go over the transom first.

Whack the fuel in the Pajero, top the rest up with PULP seems okay.

Now hears a thought. We have all wondered about the merits of LPG in boats, heres a big plus for the stuff.

It's around 120 octane and it don't go stale as far as I know ever.

Just a little more challenging to store onboard Rags.......

There is a company thats been doing it for a few years. The oil injection is the issue for older engines. Needs a Yammy type setup injected to the crankcase.

Modern DI engines would probably lend themselves quite easily to conversion.

Heres the company: http://www.lpgtechnologies.info/SERV05.HTM

Cheers