Thread: 10 tonne of netted Snapper

10 tonne of netted Snapper

I was sent these photos and a short letter from an old friend who happened to be in the Fisheries Department in South Australia.
    The photos were taken in 1990.

His short letter reads as quoted -
    "Total catch 10 tonnes, average weight around 8-9kgs. Caught in 5 metres of water not far from Port Pirie. Boats used can carry 2 tonnes - given permission to use a large boat to bring fish in." Unquote.

Unbelievable hey??

Cheers, Jeff.

Re: 10 tonne of netted Snapper

I hope this dosn't happen again, cause I luv me snappa fishin

Garry
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Pros have to make a living and so on,theres is no way that couldnt effect fish stocks.......on the other hand look at winter whiting...its easy to go out and catch a bucket full....now think of the amount out boats out in any one day in deception bay or out in front of nudgee , or at the sandhills along..each catching a bucketfull.......cast your mind back to the days of 100plus "good catches of bream from the sunken wall or the pin.........we used water back then too......one day we might have level 5 fish ristrections

Wow that's a lot of snapper.
    I bet those photos didn't make it in the local paper that week. The local handliners would have hung em from the yard arm.
    Wayne

yeah they look like commercial fishos.

SA is chockers with snapper. somewhat like moreton bay is with squire, only down there they are all 70cm+

as previously said it was 17 years ago.

cant say i agree but i doubt we will ever see it happen again.

I would be happy to catch just one or two that size.
    Marty.

yes but is it sustainable the test is -are they still getting those sort of quota's- if so great its not raping the environment, but i doubt it cause you'd be looking at a photo dated yesterday not 17 yrs ago. i don't think the old adage "yes its great to have hindsight" . the writings been on the wall for some time - look after your resources and there'll be plenty for everyone in 17 yrs to come. pro's have to make a living but not at the expense of everyone else.

Juju.
    I would like to see a bag limit on Bream and Whiting and to be a heritic a legal size on winter whiting.
    While I'm at it an increase in all Cod to 50cm. Their all head under that size anyway.
    Scott

thats pros for u.rapists...........an 8 to 9 kilo snaqpper is 40years old no wonder the fish are in trouble.each year trawlers kill 1 million juvenile snapper in moreton bay.....imagine our stocks if it where not for them