Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oooops, I broke my boat :(

Re: Oooops, I broke my boat :(

Hey Ian, hows things mate. Funny you should mention the stainless one, I was wondering if you would be up for a challenge

Hi Leezor,
    I think I came into lucinda a couple of boats behind you on saturday. We were in a blue plate boat called "Bluebella". I saw the ausfish stickers and was going to say gday but it was a bit frantic at the ramp as you saw. boats everywhere.
    bad luck on the bowsprit. personally i would be going with a custom aluminium one with serious boat trailer type rollers. this should be able to be made to bolt on. (SSAF in sth townsville). mine is configured to lock in a 14lb plough anchor - see photos. the rope keepers are a great idea also. i only use the plough on shoals, but the bowsprit locks in the reef anchor just as well. the anchor never rattles.
    we were at trunk. pretty slow but got a nice bag of trout, lippers and nannys and 1 spanish. we left at 1pm as it was shut down. 1st run with a new 140 suzi. it was awesome.
    steve

Thats a hard one leezor, your probably better off gettinan ally one fabricated as getting a mould for the original could be near impossible

Garry
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

by the looks of it, you may be able to just unbolt it and chuck it away, then get a standard old bow roller and bolt that on, forget the bowsprit thing completely.

Hey Steve, think I remember hearing your boats name over the VHF and one of my kids saw you at the ramp. We ended up towing a green Haines 650 Signature in that had a break down coming into Dungeness, he fished Trunk also and got a good bag of trout.
    I priced getting the bowsprit replaced today, a custom glass item is around $1700 - OUCH!
    Am going to price both stainless and alloy tomorrow, hopefully Suncorp will come to the party with an insurance claim which will ease the pain somewhat.
    I unbolted the broken piece yesterday and considered just bolting the bollard back on and buying one of those $160 stainless rollers from Bias, but I think I would rather have it repaired properly.
    Good to hear that your stoked with your Zuke Steve, how was your fuel consumption for the day?

not sure as i didn't refuel but i imagine it will be around 1 litre / NM so maybe 80 L. i used to have a 115 4 str yammie so i don't expect too much difference in fuel usage. i have a std 21" pitch prop at the moment (ally) which winds out to 5600 unloaded and about 5500 fully fuelled and loaded. top speed is around 35MPH fully loaded.
    Cruise is about 27MPH at 4500. I am about to get a SS solas prop so i am thinking i'll get a few more revs with the SS, and I am told the engine will pick up a couple of hundred as it loosens up. so i'll probably go with the 21" hi rake SS and get into the 5600 - 6200 range recommended as WOT.
    A mate of mine has just put a pair of 140's on his 27ft cairns custom craft and absolutely loves them. he has ended up with the 21" solas SS hi rakes also. he did 150NM on the weekend for 130L per engine so he's very happy.
    i saw that 650 at the top of the ramp. do you know what happened to their engine?
    steve

Hi Steve, I think the 650 had starter motor / solenoid problems nothing major. I reckon they could of got it going but I just happened to be following in they hit a sand bar. They turned off the engine to push the boat off and it would't turn over.
    Anyway, ended up I knew the bloke so was goot to catch up with him, hadn't seen him for 10 years.
    Gotta love the economy of the Zuke, I did a trip to Keeper from Towsville weekend before last and used 95lt.
    Will have to catch up for a beer sometime, cheers.

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by pilchardjones View Post
    not sure as i didn't refuel but i imagine it will be around 1 litre / NM so maybe 80 L. i used to have a 115 4 str yammie so i don't expect too much difference in fuel usage. i have a std 21" pitch prop at the moment (ally) which winds out to 5600 unloaded and about 5500 fully fuelled and loaded. top speed is around 35MPH fully loaded.
    Cruise is about 27MPH at 4500. I am about to get a SS solas prop so i am thinking i'll get a few more revs with the SS, and I am told the engine will pick up a couple of hundred as it loosens up. so i'll probably go with the 21" hi rake SS and get into the 5600 - 6200 range recommended as WOT.
    A mate of mine has just put a pair of 140's on his 27ft cairns custom craft and absolutely loves them. he has ended up with the 21" solas SS hi rakes also. he did 150NM on the weekend for 130L per engine so he's very happy.
    i saw that 650 at the top of the ramp. do you know what happened to their engine?
    steve
    Gidday Steve,
    I also have a Suzuki 140 on a Sailfisher 6200 spinning a 17" SS prop which i feel is too small. Cruise at 20 knots is about 4700rpm, so i would like to get that down a bit. WOT is over 6000 rpm allthough i have not had it in calm enough water to really try it out. I was thinking about trying a 19" so i will be really interested to see how you go with the 21" solas.
    Did you buy the 07 motor with the higher ratio gearbox or the 06?.
    As for fuel economy my last trip was approx 100nm for 127 litres as per the navman fuel sender but that was in less than perfect conditions.
    Maybe a bigger prop may improve this?
    I look forward to hearing how you go.
    Ross

Lee I was th centre console that called out just before you got to the ramp . I was going to say gidday until I saw you were towing that haines . Maybe we can say gidday another day . sorry to hear about your bowsprit hope it all works out well .
    Stuie
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

Try a metal fabrication work shop.
    Surely with plasma cutters, a Tig welder, some box tube, S/S plate a few drilled holes, and a already purchased bow roller from Bias boating, something could be knocked up in a few hours.

Last time I checked they were 65 bucks an hour, I supplied the Stainless cut the angles, they did the welding cost 22 Dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Oog. View Post
    Gidday Steve,
    I also have a Suzuki 140 on a Sailfisher 6200 spinning a 17" SS prop which i feel is too small. Cruise at 20 knots is about 4700rpm, so i would like to get that down a bit. WOT is over 6000 rpm allthough i have not had it in calm enough water to really try it out. I was thinking about trying a 19" so i will be really interested to see how you go with the 21" solas.
    Did you buy the 07 motor with the higher ratio gearbox or the 06?.
    As for fuel economy my last trip was approx 100nm for 127 litres as per the navman fuel sender but that was in less than perfect conditions.
    Maybe a bigger prop may improve this?
    I look forward to hearing how you go.
    Ross

Gday Ross,
    No worries i will let you know. I have the 07 suzi. it would seem to me your prop is a bit small. i rang kieran at coastal powerboats to ask about props for the 6200 / 140 combo i saw in qld fishing monthly. i assume this is the one you bought. he wasn't 100% sure what prop was on your suzi but its good to catch you on here. i'll PM you my number if you want to chat sometime. i won't have the new SS prop for a week or so.

Leezor - yes i like beer / boats so would be keen. i will PM my no.

Hi Steve,
    yes it is the same boat, and yes i am very happy with it
    The quality of the workmanship from Warren at Goldstar is excellent.
    Thanks for the PM, i am taking it out tommorrow for another run so i will give you a call.
    Ross

Hi Lee,
    Sorry to sidetrack your thread with happy Goldstar talk
    I know what it is like when your boat breaks, not a whole lot of fun.
    I have not lost one of my TLD outfits yet and i know how cranky i would be if i did as i would use them more than anything else.
    Ross

No problems Ross, it's better to be talking about good things rather than broken things anyway. All is good with the TLD, now I have an excuse to buy a new Tcurve

Hey Stuie, I saw you waving, wasn't sure if you were someone I owed money too or not , hopefully next time things wont be so hectic so we can catch up for a chat.

I visited a custom stainless place today, he is going to design me a replacement bolt on bowsprit to suit, so will have to see what price and design he can come up with. Does anyone have any pics of there current bowsprit setups they could forward me for some ideas on the design?

Cheers,

Lee