Thread: Evinrude 9.9 battery charging, ac lighting ?????

Evinrude 9.9 battery charging, ac lighting ?????

I have just got hold of a Evinrude 9.9 and want to know if I can charge a battery with it. The model number is AE10BAEIR which indicates to me it's a Australian Evinrude 10hp rope start with ac lighting 1991. It has three wires coming from under the flywheel that are not conected to anything and they are white in colour with a blue trace.
    Now I am led to believe that ac lighting was offered on some models that allowed ac voltage to run lights on boats that did not have a battery, and this was three wires leading to plug on the outer caseing. Mine has the 3 wires but no plug and I want to be able to charge a battery. Does anyone know how I would go about this with this set up? What would I need to add if anything?

Re: Evinrude 9.9 battery charging, ac lighting ?????

I used to have a 9.9 Evinrude But it never had any Charging ,Best thing you can do is take it to a service shop and ask them .
    I would think that it would need a Recterfier and a battery otherwise I think it would burn out your lights.
    Cheers Harry
    Harry Cabfisher

Definitely needs a rectifier.
    Some had a lighting coil but the output was really low (amperage wise) and was AC. AC is no good for charging a battery.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

What do you think a rectifier would cost fitted?

Better to ring the spares parts place for that.
    They can be well over $100 but the parts guy would be able to say for sure.
    Just have the model and serial numbers handy.
    Fitting is the easy bit. 3 wires and a bolt or two and the jobs done
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

I have an 9.9 evinrude with power outlet and charger and electric start it belonged to my father who as he got on a bit couldnt pull the starter rope so had it modified to suit.

Its about a mid 80s model and still goes like the clappers (for a 9.9) no rebuild no trouble.

In fact it was retired to the garage about a year ago when I bought a bigger boat and I have been thi of throwing it on as a auxilary.

Need a rectifier and have seen them on the online auction house that we all know(but are not allowed to mention ) for about $30.00, you will need a plug and a socket if you want to run lights.

If you send me an email I will see if I can find the owners manual for it , I think I seen it in the shed the other day, It may have something in it , i will scan it for you If there is and send it via email.

Gordon

Hi I am back just went to the shed and put my hand straght on the book and the kids had shifted the motor so I could get to it easily.

The book says buy a charger kit, but if your motor has an AC outlet for lights as some did, (Mine Is an 1989 model) the part number on the rectifier is 27 LO-OA and some numbers on the right habd side is 611838.

Just need an accessory plug and the reccy a bit of cable and way you go.

I live about half way down the NSW coast in Wollongong but have been able to purchase parts for the big motor at Far North Queensland outboard wreckers, they will mail to you and are as cheap as chips.

I bought a $500.00 regulator for the big motor second hand for $100.00 delivered.

They may be able to help.

the only thing in the owners manual is the wiring diagram for the running the lights.

Gordon
    Last edited by 1975fflh; 30-04-2007 at 10:29 AM.

Rectifiers can be bought at Dick smiths or the like around $5.. Dont pay over $100 at boat shop. as quoted by mr yammy.