Thread: A question about SP jigheads

Question A question about SP jigheads

OK you all can call me a dope but where do fish mostly get hooked when you use SP's??
    Do fish like squire suck the thing down their guts like they do with baits or do they get hooked just in the lips or mouth??
    I don't know because I've never caught a fish on a plastic (apparently skirts don't count).
    Actually I've never had a hit on a SP either.
    I normally go through about 100 hooks (well nearly ) when we go to wello and wondering if I was going to go through that many jigheads if I actually got any good with the SP's.

Ta Scott
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Re: A question about SP jigheads

Most of the hookups i have had end up in the corner of the mouth,
    But these are manly bream and flathead , I have had them sucked down to the gills but this is not the norm form what i have seen.

I have had grinners swallow the plastic bit mainly the big ones

Most of the other fish have been hooked in the corner of the mouthe even the really big ones.
    Using carbon fibre rods and braid you tend to be more attentive to hits and move the bait it tends to stop the fish swallowing the entire bait I also find that the leader quality effects your catch rate and using a high quality invisible leader sometimes helps
    "light gear big fish big fun"

G'day

Scotty, most of my snapper catches on jigheads have been in the corner of the mouth, its mainly just the grinners that swallow the lot sometimes... good luck to them then!

Dave

Haven't had a whole lot of experience here but i'v never had one swallowed. Seem to always take it in the corner of the mouth.
    Ryno
    En el amor y la guerra, todo hueco es trinchera.

Snapper and squire bite, hang-on and run - and with such powerful jaws, they sometimes feel solidly hooked until after a 15 second run, just let go.
    Long story short, I've rarely had one throat hooked - almost always lip.

All my bream bar one have been hooked in the corner or top jaw of the mouth. Some of the flathead have teken it well down into their guts but this mainly happens when either I'm using gulps or working the sp really slow.
    Tim

Scott, I've found that some flathead and cod hits will be a little deeper in the mouth sometimes. One i caught had inhaled a berkley 7 inch jerkshad completely with jighead inside the mouth, lucky not to have my leader chewed, big gobs allow the lure to be taken whole. With snapper/squire, their mouths aren't the buckets that cod and flathead have, and so they will be hooked in the corner nearly all the time. I think that they hit the lure from side on, sometimes like a crash tackle its that hard! Chrome dome is right about how sometimes they just let go, I've lost a few fish like that. When they hit that hard and run for it its hard to believe they couldn't be hooked. When you get the lure back in sometimes you'll find teeth marks in the jighead and along the first few cms of the lure around where the hook comes out. If they drop it, let out a bit of line, sometimes they come back for another go. My brother has had 3 or 4 hits before a hook up. Good luck!

Simon