View Poll Results: Which Electronic Chart To Have ?

Voters
315. You may not vote on this poll
  • Navionics

165 52.38%
  • C-Map

76 24.13%
  • Blue Charts

64 20.32%
  • Other Electronic charts

10 3.17%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: which is the best Electronic Charts to buy for Chart Plotters

Re: which is the best Electronic Charts to buy for Chart Plotters

had navionics gold in a intellimap 480 didnt show whole rivers along territory northcoast c map and blue chart of same age were heaps better detailed its apity cos the unit was a nice piece of gear

ther is absolutly no comparison the navionics charts are far beter easier to read as well.
    it's only a shame that with most gps's you have to take the card that it supports.

I have the new Garmin Blue G2 Vision Chart and I think it is fantastic. The problem is this is the first chartplotter I have owned so I have nothing to compare it to. I have found one beacon in the brizzy river that isn't on it. I also found when I was out at Mud island & asked it to plot me a course back to Fisherman Island boat ramp it froze up. But that maybe because I havn't put some of my boat info in correctly. I am still learning on it but I get the impression its abit better than others on the market at the moment.
    Cheers Tim

I thought I had commented on this before so if I have I apologize for repeating myself.

Here in the states, the National Marine Electronics Association votes for what electronics they think are the best in the marine electronics industry. NMEA does not accept any advertising and are widely considered a very non biased opinion of products.

NMEA has voted C-Map NT+ and C-Map MAX chart the best electronics marine charts for the last 6 years in a row.

My personal opinion is V-Map charts are so accuarate, you could cruise through the tightest channel in a boat with no windows. I have used Navionics also and they are pretty good. One feature I really like about the C-Map that no one else has is Guardian Anti Grounding. If your boat is on a course that will put it in danger of running aground, the chart will show the dangerous area in red, right on your display so you know that you better check your bearings. I have personally navigated through plenty of tight channels in our intra coastal waterways, at night, in a 34 ft Luhrs, without a spotlight to spot channel markers, and when the chart shows the marker 50 feet to your starboard, it is 50 feet to your starboard. You cannot go wrong with C-Map.

If you are looking for a great C-Map compatible chartplotter you can't do better than Furuno. If you are looking for a great chartplotter that is a bit more affordable,the Standard Horizon CP180 is a fantastic unit for around the low $400 USD range. The Standard Horizons have a 3 year warranty on them which is the longest in the business.
    Last edited by Piscatory Pursuit; 10-06-2007 at 01:43 PM.

Mate,

that might be CMap in the US but the Aussie CMap guys are dragging the chain. No way in the world would I trust an electronic not even 50% in a tight waterway in Australia. As for detail, there is no comparison. Out on the continental shelf where I play a bit of the time CMap only give you two contours, 100 fathom and 1,000 fathoms (can't remember off the top of my head but there is only two). Navonics has a contour for every 50m depth or so out there so on canyons and stuff where we fish for Marlin are clearly shown when the contours all bunch up together shows a good fishing spot. Miles more clearer on Navonics than any other electronic chart I have used.
    Last edited by Smithy; 18-06-2007 at 09:09 PM.

I agree with Smithy I've got c-map max and am a bit disappointed in the contours not showing the detail like navionics,however it does have some good features like aerial photo's of harbors ets embedded on the chip and also the flashing sequence of port and starboard markers as well as grounding alarm etc as previously mentioned.
    I have a furuno navnet and with this system furuno have an SD card which will change the units software to read c-map max or navionics and vice a verser,something i am considering doing giving me the best of both.

cheers mickey.

Thanks guys for the info on C-Map. I had no idea that is was not that detailed in your part of the world. Based on the survey it sure looks like most of you agree that Navionics is the way to go. I have used Navionics here in the states as well and have found it to be very good. I just have more experience with the C-Map because that is what i use the most.

Does anyone have any information on how detailed the Garmin Bluechart G2 is in Australia? I get a lot of requests for it and I am considering stocking the Australian G2 charts. It looks like I better start stocking the Navionics Australian charts as well!

Great info! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Redspeckle View Post
    I am still trying get my head around these chart plotters i see on the market their 3 types of Electronic charts you can by for chart plotters
    I know the some of only suit the units that you by I see out there is Navionics,
    C-Map, Garmin Bule Charts and might be other types out there too
    so i want know why when with them that good and the bad of these Electronic Charts
    Mitch
    Redspeckle,

Its interesting to note that already in this thread there are advocates for all three charts types.
    The best one has got to be the one that shows the greatest amount of detail in the areas that you regularly fish.
    The best way to compare them would be side by side,if this is not possible maybe try to take some digital photos of the same area on each unit when zoomed in pretty tight and compare.

good luck

Scott

for most of the time it will also depend on where you fish so you dont need 2 maps

Thanks for the votes and the replys on this subject
    I went with the lastest from Humminbird A 785c2I (at least its not made in China) and Navionics Gold XL9 Whole of Australia ( whos where end up fishing and for another 100 bucks worth it)
    I just only installed it in and can't wait to try it out which it doesn't have a front plastic cover I be talking to them about it (pay big buck for it bit lousy not having one)
    I will get the Nav Planner later than the track a go idea view and plan trips/others things on your PC
    I will keep you's inform how it go's the good and the bad with it
    Mitch
    In life, start off wrong and you'll finish wrong. Put just one skeleton in the closet and you'll have to put another one in to hide the first, and so it goes.
    But start off right and you'll finish right. There's no comeback when you stick to the truth - and no skeletons!

HI...RE GARMIN G2 VISION CARDS
    Bias at Tingalpa were able to show me the 500 series garmin with the preloaded maps AND then with the optional vision card inserted...quite a difference in features and photographic representation of land areas.
    There costings of the vision card was high.(over$500) easy to buy in u.s (usd%242). I have garmin 525 and vision card for east coast aust. p.m. if you want precise advice.

Have a look and make up your own mind one pic is a navionics the other is a blue chart

BigE

bigE, how old are the maps we are looking at? The Navionics sure has more detail of that area.

the navi is 2006 and the bluechart is 2004

Big E

I have 2 GPS's one on by boat - a Lowrance 330C using Navionics Gold charts and a Garmin with Bluechart version 9.5 (CD version) on my jetski.

I have just updated last week both units maps to the latest versions.

I am very happy with the level of detail - I use them in the moreton bay and broadwater areas.

You have to compare apples to apples ie. both of the latest maps.

I would say they are both on pretty close in terms of detail from what I can see at the moment.

Frank